Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

compression

tjtj Posts: 5
edited August 2006 in PA General Discussion
I just purchased a DRPA and have read the manual as well as most of the white papers. I have a pretty good understanding of compression but very little on the DRPA's way of handling compression. I have noticed on different discussion posts that Gadget questions compressing the entire mix and so do I. My question is this: How do you single out certain channels for compression such as the bass or the main vocals if the only input into the DRPA is from the output of the mixer? Forgive me if there is a real simple answer and I am overlooking it but this I don't understand. All I want the DRPA to monitor compression on would probably be the snare, the bass guitar and the lead vocals as they tend to get louder as the night progresses. If you didn't pick up what the DRPA is being used for, it is a 4 piece live band, playing mostly rock cover songs.

Comments

• Options
    AJayAJay Posts: 28
    using the DRPA as a compressor as you've stated above is really not what the DRPA was designed for. I mean, i guess you could use it as just a DSP effects processor on a single channel (and i've done somthing like that before) but if you do, you loose the main functionality of the system: acting as a master EQ/Crossover, or the \"Loudspeaker Management System\" as it is sometimes called.
  • Options
    tjtj Posts: 5
    The DriveRackâ„¢ PA also offers Compression and Limiter modules. The Compressor is a full bandwidth Stereo Compressor located prior to the Crossover. The Compressor is the perfect tool for tightening uneven signal sources such as vocals and guitars.

This was taken straight from the manual. Albeit the manual does not tell you how to tighten uneven sources individually. Is this not possible with the DRPA? Why even have a compressor built in if it is not a good idea to use it?
  • Options
    AJayAJay Posts: 28
    to tighten them individually, you would need to have that individual source dedicated to one of the inputs. you could then put the rest of your mix on the other input, mix it in the DRPA, but then the signal would come out mono.