Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Big Feedback when I try to RTA

stublitostublito Posts: 6
edited August 2006 in PA Configuration Wizard
Had a DRPA for 2 years and love it. Just bought a dbx RTA mic and tried to use it.

I have JBL 4725 biamped system. As soon as I press the RTA input switch, the PA howls with feedback. The output meters redline. I can't get past this step. Whats up?

Stublito

Comments

• Options
    I have never heard of this...you are plugging the RTA mic into the DRPA's RTA mic input on the front left of the unit, not your mixer/board correct?
  • Options
    Yes. As soon as I enable the switch, it feeds back.

How can I test the mic? I just bought it used. Is there a battery in it?

Thanks

Peter
  • Options
    What's your system's hookup/signal path? Have you tried a different mic cable? The dbx RTA-M is basically a standard omnidirectional condenser mic...with super flat frequency response and is extremely accurate.

Someone else correct me if I am wrong, but you should be able to plug it into a standard mic input (w/phantom power) to test and see if it's operational. Be sure to keep your levels down, amps/speaks off, so you can see the levels on the meters before using headphones to monitor.

C
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    As coop said the mic needs fantom power, not a battery. The volume should be at a minimum when you go into the process. Are you doing it in the wizard? The correct sequence is :
    1. press the wizard button
    2. select Auto Eq
    3. follow the prompts, only press the RTA button when prompted to do so. Then when you do the volume should be down and you should have to bring it up to a certain level before it will even let you proceed.
    Try that, if it doesn't work, or if you have already done this report back.
    Gadget
  • Options
    The mic's fine. What volume? I'm biamped, I have my amps' gain full up - the balance between speakers and horns is perfect that way (50WRMS @8 ohms to the 2425 horns, 450 WRMS @ 8 ohms to the 2225 15s).

Again, the mixer is off, I plug right into the DRPA, hit the Wizard button, choose RTA, plug the mic in, it tells me to hit the switch and I do and wheeeeeee...

What are you talking about \"the volume down\"? That's not in the instructions. Where would I do that?

Peter
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    when you start the RTA wizard the driverack unit has the volume pertty much off,or its supposed to be.... maybe you need to talk to the tech line.. you know, the mic should be hearing the pink noise only, NOT going through the driverack.are you sure your hooked up correctly?If so there may be a problem with the unit.
    gadget
  • Options
    Thanks gadget. I'll call the tech line.

Peter