Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Attn: Gadget New indoors Auto EQ method

James RJames R Posts: 22
edited August 2006 in PA Configuration Wizard
Gadget,
Question regarding this method, I'm running Peavey SP4G's with Peavey SP2118's underneath. Should I just do the top cabs? because for the life of me i cannot figure how I would tilt a stack that high.

Many Thanks,
James R

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes, top cabs only, then you have the full range set and all you need to do is add a crossover and the subs and you are GTG. You want to Eq the below 150 hz by ear anyway, the Auto EQ does poorly indoors anyway..

G
  • Options
    James RJames R Posts: 22
    Gadget wrote:
    Yes, top cabs only, then you have the full range set and all you need to do is add a crossover and the subs and you are GTG. You want to Eq the below 150 hz by ear anyway, the Auto EQ does poorly indoors anyway..

G

I have to ask when you say you have the full range set, this wouldn't apply to my current crossover settings? I am Triamping tops biamped then subs, should I do this with my current crossover minus the subs as you said?

Many Thanks,
    James R
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    HI,
    Yes here's the deal, If you set up the tops full range, or bi-amped (sorry I missed that part.. been very busylately...) and set up a preset in the Driverack that is flat, you will have a baseline for all other setups, and venues. As I said the problem with the Auto EQ is it doesn't do a very good job indoors below 150hz and above 700 hz since reflections will cause cancellations that will have frequencies boosted or cut all over the place. For a better explanation of this see Mikey Kovachs, paper:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=41581

also see his followups and there is a lot of good reading, and tips at the:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/

old site, under the \"tutorials\" sections

So, do a biamp, indoors setup as I specified, or an outdoor setup if you can do it (pretty much the same results as long as you are away from all reflective surfaces) of the tops only. Then its pretty easy to add the subs and just set them by ear. Consider using the aux fed setup, as it makes things that much better, and easier.

The indoors method also makes it a snap to set up the biamp tops since the auto EQ process takes very little time, and isn't all that loud a process, AND you can use the high precision preset! If your not familiar with the process of using the PEQ's and delays there is a lot on that at the other site, and if not just ask..
    Gadget
  • Options
    cbierncbiern Posts: 8
    A few methodology questions please.
    What is the recommended distance from speaker to microphone and microphone to the floor?
    Is the reflective surface - concrete vs wood (as you show) vs earth important? A PZM has the metal body of the mic housing as its boundry, would a sheet of aluminum be a good choice?
    Do you still set the output to the desired max (say 105db) for the space where you'll be performing?
    Does this method work as well for setting a baseline as an open field? It is certainly easier to find a 25sq ft area than getting alt least 50' from a reflective surface!