Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

QSC Amp Tunings

I just sold all my MacroTech Crown amps and plan on using my QSC PLX 3402's for my FOH. Where can I get amp tunings for these? Should I upgrade to the 260? I'm also thinking about buying 4 Crown XTi 4000's.
Here is my current system:
(6) QSC PLX 3402's
(4) JBL SR4733X's
(2) JBL SR4719X's
(1) DBX DriveRack PA
Thanks for the help!

Phil

Comments

• Options
    Phil,

You will have to set the gain structure manually for the QSC amps. Below is a description on how to do this. Unfortunately, XTI amps are not yet in the Driveracks. Moving up to the 260 will give you many more options, but it will not give you the XTI tunings. At least not at the moment.

GAIN STRUCTURE & LIMITER
    By properly setting the gain structure, your signal to noise ratio will be optimized (your system will be quieter) and you can minimize the possibility of clipping any components in your system. Make sure to select “Custom� for your amps when you run the SETUP WIZARD. Unplug your speakers from your amps. You may want to verify that it is safe to operate your amplifier(s) without a load connected. If you are unsure, contact the amplifier manufacturer. Make sure that your output limiters are off before proceeding. Run pink noise through your mixer (from a cd or generator). Bring up the master faders on the mixer until you barely clip the inputs of the Driverack PA then back it off, so that it is just below clipping. If your mixer clips before the Driverack, set the mixer to just under the clip point. Now, select one of your amps to start with and set the attenuator so that it just clips, then back it off so that the clip indicator just goes out. Mark this setting with a piece of tape or something that will not permanently mark the amp. Now turn the amp attenuator up until the clip indicator just lights again. Go into the Limiter, for the outputs that you are currently working with, and set the Overeasy setting to “off�. Set the limiter threshold so that you no longer clip the inputs of the amp. Now set the attenuator back to the mark that you made earlier. Repeat this process for all other amp channels in the system. Turn your mixer down and your amps off. Reconnect your speakers, turn your amps back on and try running some music through your speakers. You should not be continually hitting the limiter when you are running your system at performance level, which should be unity gain (0 VU on your mixer). If you do, go back and redo the gain structure process. Hitting the limiter too hard can overheat your speakers and cause damage. The limiters should only be triggered by the peaks. You will want to then adjust the attenuators to achieve as flat of a frequency response as possible before you run the Auto EQ. Make sure that you turn down attenuators (you don't want to set the attenuators past the mark that you made). So for example: If you don't have enough low end, turn down your mid and or high amps.
  • Options
    Thanks Michael!