Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

which driverack will run 4 way?

huskyhusky Posts: 13
edited September 2007 in dbx Archive General Discussion
I want a driverack for my monitors which i run 4 seperate mixes any help apreciated thanks

Comments

• Options
    kennykenny Posts: 15
    480 or 4800 ?
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Either will do very well..
    The 4800 is a 96K design for higher resolution, and has more EQ options, and is considered as near strait wire as anything, meaning it has no coloration. It is also more money. You could do the same with 2, 260's but computer control is currently possible one unit at a time. this would also offer you Auto EQ and AFS features NOT availabe on either other machine... AND be considerably cheaper...Quick on the fly adjustments are a bit more problematic without a dedicated control surface...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thats brill. Im having a absolute nightmare at the moment with monitors and using old graphic eq's and compressor/limiters. ill look into sorting something out thanks again
  • Options
    Is it essential that the 260's run from a computer? also i notice that the 260 has six outputs,does this mean i can run 6 identical outs from the 2 inputs? (not that i would want to) or does it depend on what frequencys are comin from. IE 1,2 high 3,4 mid 5,6 bass ?

In england theres about £400 difference between 2 260's and one 480 so i want to make sure i make the right descison
  • Options
    Well, no, the 260 and 480 are both able to be run by the front pannel display.. its just that old farts like me have trouble seeing that little screen(chuckle).Its just really much easier and intuitive to set them up with the GUI
    The 260 is actually more versital than the 480,and if it was multi-unit controllable (which my son is working on and if we could get the code from DBX it would be easier..but) it would be even more popular. The 480 does have a bit more EQ though...31 GEQ which isn't all that much and a few more PEQ's
    The beauty of the 260 or 480 is any, or ALL outputs can be run by 1 or both inputs, so yes all 6 outputs can be run by either input or both equally, or any amout of each (there is an input mixer on each input) you can then run each output full range, or partial, set up HPF and LPF on each the same or different. You can set up bandpass filters, or nearly anything you can think of... you can run 6 different speaker types off the 6 outputs and treat and tune each differently. You can redistribute the delays in order to best suit the needs of each output, as in delay fills..
    I recomend you download the GUI and play with it.. it has both units in it and you can then play with them and see if they will do what you want..its easy, fun and informative..
    How are things over there? Used to be married to an english gal..but thats a drive me crazy rack of a whole different type...LOL
    Gadget
  • Options
    well at moment its pising down :cry: same olde english weather. and in england we change the clocks at this time of year so it will be pitch black at 5 o clock in the afternoon :shock:

Were can i download the GUI from? could you link me
    also could i get a GUI for the DR PA ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    is it driveware Gui 2.5? if so ive found it :)
  • Options
    just a question

when using the wizard on the DR 260 or PA after when it says '' rotate the data wheel to select the amplifier manufacturer's specified amp sensitivity setting''. ( i get that bit) press nxt page

You now get chance to optimize your amp levels. The screen that comes up with the volume control set to a certain volume (heres my question) Do you set the amps volume setting to the same as this? or change the dbx vol control same as what you set your amp at ? (i run the power amps at full blast) its not very clear in the instructions.
  • Options
    well..I tell you, There are folks from both camps... I have fouind that when you use amps other than the amps in the wizard, or presets, that you will need to set the gain structure and let the amp levels fall where they may in a 2 way or three way or more system. That is to say do the gain structure, and the sub amps usually end up high and the others lower unless you have BIG power...

skip the DRPA there is no GUI or external control, updating, and all the processing is tied together...

Cold and shitty here too..
    same daylights savings time too...
    Gadget
  • Options
    im a bit lost do u mean that u dial the DR up to full blast? (coz i run my amops at full blast) or run my amps at the desired setting curtosy of the driverack?

but i run a crown on my tops and a chevin a6000 on my subs the chevin isnt a pre-set so what i do then?
  • Options
    hmmmm, don't know how you ever gleened that from my post? Just do like I said and do a gain structure, and when your done put on a good CD and ballance the system with the amps controls.. the Driverack defaults to -0- db and iof you can't get-er- done with the amp controls... use the driverack..
    g
  • Options
    husky wrote:
    Thats brill. Im having a absolute nightmare at the moment with monitors and using old graphic eq's and compressor/limiters. ill look into sorting something out thanks again

I use a 480 for four mixes, having switched from Sabine GRQ3012s. I prefer it.

However, you should be able to get usable results with 1/3 octave EQs. If not, there's a problem somewhere (improper EQ adjustment, stage volume is way too loud, mics are unsuitable for the application, monitors are junk, EQs are junk). I guest mix at a venue in that uses SM58s and has some pretty cheezy monitors for the front man (Audio Centron I think). They work pretty well with only three cuts (400, 800, and 1k25) and a little tone shaping on the channel strips (low mids dipped at around 250 to compensate for proximity effect).

On monitors, compressors should be used for protection only. If you use them for level smoothing, you will drive the singers nuts, exacerbate feedback problems, or both.

Make sure the amps have plenty of power. The harmonics added when an amp clips can cause feedback on a system that is on the edge of being stable.
  • Options
    Hey Timmy, Good to see your still around...Not sure if you noticed but this thread is nearly a year old.

Be well.
    Gary