Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Software Control

2 diff. 260 wanna run on same laptop

2»

Comments

• JerryWJerryW Posts: 46
    Good news. Very good news. Can't say what right now, but good news.

I need a wish list from everyone that is prioritized. Most important things first. We will need to do this in stages, so, let's get the most important things going first.

Jerry
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    1a - Screen stretching to full size without making other applications unusible.
    1b - Ability to expand and shrink module windows.
    2 - PEQ (pre & post) upper window on equal scale (or larger) with the filter adjustment window. (3db increments (or better))
    3 - GEQ upper window on equal scale (or larger) with the filter adjustment window. (3db increments (or better))
    4 - 3db graduation on I/O meters
    :shock:

DRA
    Here's one I really would like.
    Multiple RTA screens to view mic and internal at the same time.

Also, Auto EQ - GEQ windows that can be removed from the control of the 260 (screen shot) so that other samples can be taken without losing the the previous data (window). Unless an averaging utility could be written, although the manual procces would be great in and of itself.

DRA
    A Root Beer float dispensor? 8)
    Another serious one.

Longer character strings for program names and output names. That has always bugged me.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    1. Multiple 260 on a single port...
    2. I know this is a biggie, but multiple measurement locations with an auto averaging feature.. to weed out the cancellations...
    3. Multiple venue storage without having to use up the presets
    4. You can set your screen to 124x968 and fill the screen efectively with the GUI but scalable would be nicer...it would also be cool to be able to make each module different sizes on the same screen.. like larger RTA and smaller limiters...
    5. A hold, peak/hold feature on the RTA would be awesome...that way when your looking for feedback as in a monitor tuning it would be invaluable...
    We could already pool our presets, but they are kinda useless unless they are matched systems...
    We can already copy and paste between modules, but I'm not sure you can change presets and move paste's between different presets... We can already use the arrow keys, and hilite whatever field we would like to modify and type in a value.. but it goes to the nearest value it's able to actually hit...like say I wanted .21 ms of delay it would defer to .23, the minimum value the unit can accept... incrementally...

All for now...
    G
    Gadget, can you explain multiple 260s on a single port?

Thanks.

Jerry
  • DennisDennis Posts: 801
    We want to be able to control multiple DR260s on a single instance of DriveWare (or JerryW's DriveWare Plus or whatever).

Dennis
  • RacertrashRacertrash Posts: 59
    Gadget, I wonder if he will be able to do that. I hope so but I would think both or more units would need an addtress and wouldn\"t that need to be built into the unit?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I didn't say this was going to be easy...If it was, then it would have happened already... years ago. Yes I see what you mean about a specific address for each unit, but it's possible using the http://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5600.htm...

Yes I can see it's going to be difficult, but there are some people out there that have a certain... second sight... if you will... about things...I am a problem solver in my own right, but I don't have the computer moxie to solve this issue on my own, but in a brainstorming session I can hold my own with most anyone...I would have to be made aware of the protocols, the communications, and the issues, as well as the limitations. My son works for a company that designs solutions for manufacturing...I know that they could come up with a solution, and it might not be cost effective or eve feasible.. and maybe the thin is that you need a USB conversion and some solution like the above link... without the wireless cost, and all that...I don't know...I just wish we could come up with some creative and simple solution... maybe JW can do it!

Gadget
    The 260s communicate via a serial connection. For multiple 260s attached to the same computer, a unique serial port (COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.) needs to be attached to each 260.

Serial Communications are separate and distinct from oneanother. So, communications between a 260 on COM Port 1 are totally separate from those on COM Port 2.

Creating an interface that supports communications between multiple 260s is not the problem as I am viewing this issue.

At this point, I can see all communication taking place between the 260 and the current GUI. The documentation I have received from dbx should be enough to help me move along quickly. Between these two resources, I should have everything I need to put together the code to track and control multiple DriveRack 260s simultaneously.

The difficult thing is the interface - getting things to look the way you need them to look, work the way you need them to work, etc.

I'll get back on this Monday AM.

Thanks, everyone.

Jerry
    Images for Evaluation

Feedback Filters: In addition to storing live feedback filter values, date time stamp, etc., showing them in a form that is resizable is shown here:

snap1.png

snap2.png

snap3.png[/img]
    I think I would like it more if the bars were HOR instead of vertical above the Freq they where effecting if possible with an exact readout of the freq each filter is effecting.

I could go after something with the Peq and free up the filters.

But I do see how you have it set.

I dont know if it would matter to have the filters numbered?

Could you add the F for fixed and the L for live or is that the colors?

How many 260 units do you see a person really useing at one time?
    4 ? 6?? more?
    I'm experimenting with the interface right now. Making sure things size they way we want them to.

I envision giving the user the ability to select which type of view they want including having multiple 260s in the same view. For example, have the 260 on Port 4 show Green, Port 5 shows Orange, Port 6 shows . . . Allowing the user to specify the color scheme as well.

I've attached a view similar to the one shown in the current GUI. I envision allowing the user to specify a color for fixed frequencies and a different color for live frequencies (live feedback), etc.

Since I've got some basic communications between the interface and the 260, I'm doing a few things with displays right now.

I don't see a limit to the number of 260s that can be used. With todays LCD monitors, I could see 6 or even more at one time. I don't know how many people are using out there, though. But no plans for a hard limit on the number shown.

Jerry
    snap4.png[/img]
    Thanks Jerry, great work by the way!!
    Thanks.

I gotta ask. Where does the name \"racertrash\" come from?

Jerry
    Kind of like Biker trash but I liked race cars. It could have been roadietrash :)
    Jerry, what do the numbers under the filters(?) reference? (last screen shot)

DRA
    That's the frequency. Using a similar numbering system as already in the current GUI.

Open for suggestions, though.

Jerry
    Yeah...I didn't even catch that at first. All of the frequencies are transposed to kHz. If it is necessary to chose one or the other, I think I would vote for Hz. It wouldn't slow me down having to read high frequencies like 18,000Hz but I have to think twice about a low frequency such as 0.020kHz.

Dennis
    Some of them don't line up. For example 0.2027khz is between 63 and 80 hz? There are other that don't sync, but some do.

DRA
    Right now, most of them don't line up. I'm sure that is just minor adjustment that Jerry will deal with after the main structure of the program is running correctly.

Dennis
    Oh, those numbers.

Those are random numbers used to generate frequency numbers. They don't pertain to a particular frequency, just created randomly so I can test the curve shown using a large variety of numbers without having to put them in manually.

Jerry