Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

How will a DRPA work with monitors?

paultpault Posts: 4
edited October 2009 in PA Connectivity
I figure I could do two separate monitor mixes via the DR PA. I will be using a crown XTi 2000 left for one mix and right for the other mix. I will use FBT Maxx4 passive speakers.
Is this a good way to go??

How can I load the info into the DR PA!?!?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    well....hmmm you can .. but all you will have is a 3 band PEQ and the other tied together functions.. that includes the FBX unit.. now the 260 is the bomb for this purpose.. all the functions aren't tied together like the DRPA...
    So there you have it.
    Gadget
  • Options
    Hi I found myself with the same question; what is the proper way to also manage your stage monitors?

I have (what I thought) was a simple configuration. I just need a mono full-range main and a mono full-range monitor line. I plan on connecting the outputs (xlr) of a Carvin non-powered rx12000 to the 2 inputs of the DRPA. One line will serve the Mains and the other the Monitors. What is that, a 2X2 configuration?

I currently have a frankenstien configuration of a dbx 266 compressor, 2 mono Sabine feedback eliminators and a digital delay box. I use the delay between the signal from the mixer and the monitor amp; to compensate for sound bouncing off the wall at the end of the bar from the mains. I compress the Main signal and add feedback elimination to both channels.

I guess I was hoping I could use the DRPA to get rid of all that stuff. I want to send Left to the Main Amp and Right the Monitor Amp. Add Feedback Elimination to both channels, Compressor to the Left Channel and Delay to the Right Channel. Can I configure the DRPA to do that?

Done the road, I would like to replace my amps with powered speakers and possibly create a stereo bi-amp situation. Again, where do the Monitors tie in?
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    With the exception of the GEQ, what ever is used on one input is done to the other input. If you add compression to mains, monitors also get it. You can in the simplest of set-ups, do some things. But I don't think that the down side is worth the trouble you are likely to have.

DRA
  • Options
    Dang. So the alternative is the DR260?

Since the cost of the DR260 is roughly twice that of a DRPA, would I be better off getting a 260 or 2 PA's? Or perhaps this line of products isn't for me at all.

<smart aleck>
    Silly me; I thought 'Complete Equalization & Loudspeaker Control System' included such things as Monitor Speakers.
    </smart aleck>

I'm really not interested in bi-amp or tr-amping. I don't think I use enough power for that (I use a single qvs 800; half for the monitors and half for the mains), so my primary need is ...

1) feedback elimination
    2) compression on Mains in either Stereo or Mono
    3) slight delay on the monitor feed

So, I can't even do that with a DRPA? Thanks much for your input.

Ken
  • Options
    Yes you can... IF you select dual mono/stereo (can't remember exactly but you will end up having to do everything separately. You will have to Auto EQ each channel separately, you have only 10 milliseconds of delay (about 11 feet) per output...so if thats enough ... I'd skip the whole system compression and use the limiters instead..ESPECIALLY in the monitor chain compression can CAUSE feedback!

The 260 is 10 times the unit for 3/4 the price.. around $700 last I checked...

I'd defiantly opr for the 260...

Gadget
  • Options
    James85James85 Posts: 63
    edited April 2009
    I use a DRPA this way. maybe it is wrong? I feed my Aux 1 and 2 into the DRPA. Left out feeds one side of an XTI2000 and the Right feeds the other side. Two wedges get Aux 1 and two get Aux 2 signals. For hardcore I line up three wedges at the front and put one back at the drummer. I mic the vocals (and a few drums) usually so all I need to do is make the singers happy. Last Sunday our church used a 700 seat high school auditorium for the Easter event. I had the same system in play. The problem was that all the musicians were used to the in-ear /Aviom system at the main church building. The drummer is normally in a plexi cage off to one side. In the high school we had the drummer open, in the center stage with musicians and back-up singers getting the full force of the drums. It resulted in the ever muddled and increasing volume in the monitors routine. No one was happy. We ended up running instruments through one monitor feed and vocals through the other. The musicians shared two monitors and the vocals got the other two. I mixed what each camp wanted and it worked out OK. I never have any feedback in the monitors. I never got into tweaking the DRPAs EQ however. The panel shows them unlinked. I assume I could adjust them (L&R) individually.

I'm pure noob and value the expertise I find here.

Jim
  • Options
    James85James85 Posts: 63
    I tried to write \"for h-a-r-d-c-o-r-e\" style shows but it switches it to \"laborious\" ??

Jim
  • Options
    DennisDennis Posts: 801
    H-a-r-d-c-o-r-e is laborious.....and it hurts my ears.

Dennis
  • Options
    If you write s*h*i*t* the program will change it to something \"less obsequious\" like poop... or dung... but not \"laborious\" :lol::lol::lol:

As for the post... is there a question in there? because monitors are a never ending series of war dances done by completely deaf individuals that are arrogant, self centered, and egocentric...then there's the guitar players :lol::lol::lol: I built monitors that would deafen a dead man :roll: and still... \"Um could I get a little more ME in the monitors do you suppose?\" :evil: Could \"I\" get a little more TALENT in the monitors please...as one of the luminaries at the Pro Sound Web has in his \"signature\"...

Look, if your sending the monitors to the stage from FOH... you send them from a \"pre fader\" aux send right? so... I admit that a 4800 is a WAY COOL monitor processor.. and my bands have agreed whole heartedly... again...what is the question?

G
  • Options
    RacertrashRacertrash Posts: 59
    Hi new member here. I have a question about this issue. I have stage monitors that are all the same except one mix. I used a driverack to set them up in my garage and they sounded great!! I needed the driverack for the foh so I used a couple of analog units and they really sound like do do,

My monitors are bi amped and consist of two twelve inch speakers and one 2 inch horn, They are old clair brothers boxes. I am using PLX 3102 amps.

I run 4 monitor mixes most of the time. My question is, can I use two DRPA to create 4 mixes?

Aux 1 to left aux 2 to right first box These two are the same boxes

aux 3 to left and aux 4 to right second box?
    3 is the same as the first two and 4 is the drum monitor Different setup

The kicker is the 4th mix is the drum monitor that I would like to use a different system on. The first three monitors would cross at about 1.2 K between the 12's and the horn. The drum monitor is a EAW Rig with a 2 - 15 sub and a 3 way box on top so they would cross at about 80 to 100 HZ.

Can I do this?

What will I not be able to use? I was told I could seperate the EQ, I knew that but that after that all functions would be linked. Is that true?

What setting would I start with on the front of the unit?

I am really quite familier with it but the nervouse type that would rather ask than assume and blow stuff up/ Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Ok...
    Ya... you can... IF... you select \"dual mono\" you will have the input GEQ and output PEQ's to work with... that is... 3 PEQ's per \"hi\" out, and 2 PEQ's per mid and lo out....If you go to the manual you will find a block diagram that will pretty much tell the tale of what is linked and what is separable...is that a word? I guess so...

So, you can (in dual mono) eq the two separately....use the Auto EQ ...separately...and set up the crossovers separately...the 260 on up offer MUCH more...
    G
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget wrote:
    Ok...
    separable...is that a word? I guess so...

...and set up the crossovers separately...the 260 on up offer MUCH more...
    G

Separatable is a word.

I've tried to work out how to get a stereo x-over to work for 2 different set-ups. While I guess it is doable, not too practical. Seems like you'd set up a 3 way. Use the hi & mid for the 1200hz singles, then use the mid and low for the 80hz divide for the drum box. This forces you to cut 80hz and down from your 4 wedges, which can be good. This does force you also to sum the hi & mid back together for the drum mon top. Gain control in the x-over is now history and you HAVE to use the amp's attenuators. I'd add an external analog x-over and run it out the "full range" low. Then you could drop the mid HPF some.

DRA
  • Options
    So, if i used 4 of the same monitors it would become easier? I will go get the manual out and I do read them :lol: but I love to get the advice of someone who has been there before and not reinvent the wheel
  • Options
    The other issue, I know the 260 is better but to be frank, They DRPA are selling for less than 300 now new! the 260 are still almost a grand, So 600 vs 1800. If i was to go the 260 route I will just buy Crown XTI 4000 ( new 699.00) and use bandmanager and forget the DBX Stuff. That is beginning to sound like the way to go. I can install a router in the rack and use a pc to deal with them.
  • Options
    Well... $6..something @ NSL for the 260 (not $900-1000 something... but ya.. the XTI has rudimentary tuning ability... more delay than the DRPA for sure... but download bandmanager and you'll see it doesn't have 1/2 the features that the Driverack has...the limiters are... well extremely limited... but they will do some of the things the DR does... but none (other then the delay...) I've used both .. I like both... but the Driverack has so many more features...other than that.. ya... get the amp if that does it for you...

G
  • Options
    Who has the 260 that low?? I will go look and thanks for all your help!!
  • Options
    NSL... Northern sound and light.. they ROCK price wise...Please tell them that Gadget from the DBX forum sent you...
    G
  • Options
    Yes they do! I just got a quote from them on the xti's Thanks Gadget
  • Options
    nlp187nlp187 Posts: 11
    I was wondering the same thing. If I had 4 JRX 112 monitors couldn't I use two of the Driveracks and run 4 different monitor mixes with that set up? I already have one for the FOH mix but the monitors need some work. Seems like that would work right? The right and left on both would be coming from aux 1, aux 2, aux3, and aux 4 off my mixer.

NLP
  • Options
    You could but I will tell you that the 260 is a much better choice! You can leave it in the rack on stage and "talk" to it with a computer. The Graphic is great and then, if you wanted you can BI amp the monitors!! check out Gadgets 121 DB monitor paper, IT WORKS!!

The 260 will work each channel independent of each other and the DRPA will not, You can unlink some of the things but not all of them. I dont know if this is still true with the new DRPA!!

When you can use the Feedback eliminator on the 260, see what it is doing on the computer, go in and use the PEQ to take the problems out and then free up the FB elim to do more, it is fantastic! On top of that the GEQ is still there to use if you want and you can Set your HP and LP filters just to name a few things!

Get a couple used 260's and dont look back. By the way, the 260 can use the snake for your communications so you dont need a hub or wireless router !! Just a a DB9 and a null modem and your talking to it!