Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Use of Auto Eq with the Rta Mic

fillufillu Posts: 3
edited April 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hello! I am using the driverack Pa and the Dbx Rta-M to auto eq my system and I am getting auto eq not done. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

10x guys

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Are you doing this indoors or out? What precision are you using?

DRA
  • Options
    fillufillu Posts: 3
    I am doing it indoors and the precision is Med
  • Options
    Have you done an auto EQ outdoors and used the PEQ's to fix any response problems with the speakers? If you haven't you need to. This will give you a much better starting point for trying to \"fix\" the room.

Are you doing only one stack when you get the \"not done\" message? If not, unplug the speakers of one stack. Place the mic on the floor in line with the working stack about 1/2 - 2/3 to the back of the room.

The problem you are having is from the DRPA trying to adjust the EQ so that every band is the same within a certain +/- db range. (These are not real numbers, but for the explanation will do.) Hi precision adjusts until all bands are +/- 1 db. Med to +/- 2 db. Lo to +/- 3 db. If the room is very resonant at 500hz and the RTA sees 500hz at +15db, it will adjust the EQ there to bring it down to within the preset range of acceptance. The EQ is limited to 12 db of boost / cut. So for this example, hi and med settings would both fail, but lo would be able to finish (but just barely). If you spreaker has a peak at 500hz to begin with, lo could'nt finish either. That's why you need to use the outdoor test to fix problems in response.

If your speaker (system) is pretty flat and it's a room issue, you will have to settle for lo precision or do it all by ear. Also try repositioning speakers, if neccessary. Hang heavy drapes everywhere. (ha)

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi..
    If I may interject here... two things can cause this \"not done\" message.
    1. more than 4 bands maxed out either cut or boosted. (toggle to the GEQ display after the Auto EQ pass and view the product EQ bring any maxed out bands back to \"0\" and EQ those by ear) Usually what happens indoors is that reflected energy meets out of phase at the mic and effectively cancels.. the DR hears nothing there and boosts that signal all the way trying to compensate. In the opposite case modes set up in a room and create bass pockets and or fingers of combined sound that the DR squashes... usually why you get shreaky highs and no lows indoors.

Remember this... you cannot equalize a room, only treat the system with respect to the room.. do everything possible to solve room issues before you eq.. only use cuts, and keep the energy off the reflective surfaces.

2. If you are using stereo unlinked the DR wants to do the other channel. Selecting linked will eliminated this issue.

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget, I read (maybe in a user white, or at least from one of the old regulars on the old forum) that the auto EQ \"senses\" the absense of un-reproduced frequencies (like a full range cab with a 10\" or 12\" lo driver) and won't try to boost the frequencies below the cabs ability and possibly destroy the speaker in the proccess.
    Had you seen that post?
    Do you agree with that statement?
    Can you marry this (if true) to a single or multiple bands that the mic \"can't hear\" because of a phase or other issue?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I believe it was DBX Dale and Mikey and myself don't think thats very likely true...BUT we haven't verified it .. it is in the below 100 hz region also if I'm not mistaken that this takes place, not full spectrum.

I'll see if I can get a clarification next week.

G