Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

driverack in mono and couple questions...

dougraydougray Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in PA Connectivity
hello, i am thinking of purchasing a driverack pa,
ok,can i use this in mono for FOH ?
connection: mixer-driverack-power-amps-speakers all in \"mono\"(i will have subs and the mains have a \"passive\" crossover in the box to seperate the mids/highs..)
plus i have read that the driverack can sometimes crack/thump when powered off? i read a post where the spekaers were blown cause of this?
i dont think i'll have any probs programming the driverack i just need to know if i can use this in a \"mono\" situation...
any info would be great.
PS: what are some of the draw backs of this unit...

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes you can run mono, there is a danger of the \"thump\" but only a system that is ready to fall apart anyway will be \"hurt\" enough to fail.. but no it's not good to subject the system to a \"thump\" turn on OR off.. the solution is to bypass the power switch, and add a bottom of the line (minimum) UPS that will keep the DRPA running should the power fail after you are running. It only has to hold up for a few seconds while the amps shut down, once they are dead the problem is eliminated... of course you need to follow turn on/off protocols.. amps on last and off first.

As far as drawbacks there aren't many for mono operation.. the functions are tied together internally with few exceptions so dual mono operation isn't practical...

GADGET
  • Options
    Rev.FRev.F Posts: 13
    Grateful to be corrected, but it doesn't look like you can feed a stereo signal in and a mono signal out... (apart from the sub) This is a pain! any work-arounds???
  • Options
    Sure, may not be intuitive but select a 2x3 the lo outs are then summed use the left mono out.. or the right for that matter... you have a band pass filter.. plus the hi stereo outs but you don't need to use them.. Only 2 PEQ's but its still a summed mono out.. Also 2X5 offers the summed outs but more unused outputs that way...

The sub out is same as the mid outs, but the hi outs have 3 peq's. You can still choose to send as much or as little of the signals frequency spectrum to the mains using the HPF and LPF ...By the same token you could send a sub full 20-20k signal... although I don't suggest it.. it's possible...

That what you wanted to hear? Pain gone now?
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks! - I should have explained that I am using a mono sub as well. But at least I can send 2 mono full range signals out of the low outputs. One to the sub and the other to the tops. It is a shame I can't use the crossover section - this seems a real oversight for a crossover! ;o)
    (The speakers are matched Turbosounds with crossovers and so this isn't a great problem) - A setting for Turbosounds and Powersoft Amps would have been nice too!

It is a shame dbx didn't add a comm's port on the unit when they designed it. - At least then there would have been the chance of firmware upgrades to fix things like this. (Like a certain company beginning with \"B\"... ;o)
  • Options
    This unit predates the Behringer by almost 5 years...It was designed to be an \"entry\" level processor, and as such some features were left out to meet a specific price point. Step up to the 260 and a whole new world of potential exists...

A simple mono summing circuit patched in after the mixer would fix that would it not? Many mixers incorporate Mono summed outs...For that matter if all \"PAN\" controls are centered your mixer puts out \"dual mono\" signals does it not?
    Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Except for trax, of course. I agree with Gadget. Make a Y for board to DRPA connection.

DRA
  • Options
    You are right of course. Losing stereo reverb in a live situation is not a great loss! ;o)
    Thanks for your help.
    (I'll be glad when my brain gets back up to speed and I can work these simple things out for myself. - On the other hand I may be just getting old... ;o)
  • Options
    Hmmm sounds like a common problem.. I am after older than dirt.. and THE Old sound man around here! :wink:

That is the reason I run stereo.. it really livens up the mix a huge amount I have a a beautiful Ultra chorus algorithm that really wakes up the vocals, and keeps my mix from being sterile and boxy... can't get that in mono though...and yes a nice verb for that sizzle on vox and acoustics...

Have fun!
    G
  • Options
    Hmmm - So you think it's worth running stereo if you can - to get a bigger sound? - Does this really make a big difference in a (eg Pub) live situation? - Maybe I should run the tops in stereo and start looking for another amp for the Sub! ;o)
    (Not more gear! - My wife is going to kill me!!! ;o)
  • Options
    Is the pub small enough or could the type music that you play do without a sub? Would your top cabs handle it alone?

DRA
  • Options
    I just wanted some extra low-oomph! ;o)
    I've built what I think is a quality small band PA that can be man-handled easily. (The sub is the heaviest part at 25Kgs)
    I used to run some big mackies - but they were too much boom and tizz and far too heavy for me to carry up and down stairs at clubs... The 112's and 115 Turbosounds are lot clearer and easier on the back! :o)
    (I'm running a 1604 Powersoft to save my energy too ;o)
  • Options
    Sounds like you'll be running mono. No biggie.

DRA
  • Options
    No question though... the sound is sooooo much sweeter and airy with stereo tops running Verb and efx in stereo...I couldn't/wouldn't do it mono... no way... P>S> my wife left me :lol: Oh well...more room for equipment in the van now :wink:

I started in a new club recently working for a \"closet\" sound guy who had had MANY bands over the years. I put my system in and he is BLOWN AWAY.. he has never heard anything like it in the 7 years he has owned the club...and this is with a system that has seen 5 nights week for 7 years...
    G..spot
  • Options
    Cool - what's the rig?
  • Options
    GadgitGadgit Posts: 24
    Rev.F wrote:
    Cool - what's the rig?

DraWave.gif
  • Options
    So that's what happend to those 'weapons of mass destruction'... ;o)

What the f*&% is that??? :shock:
  • Options
    inside joke...

Yorkville Elite 2206 over Labsubs...Driverack 240, 260, and 4800

:shock:
    Gadget
  • Options
    Gotta be the future! - Giant radio-alarm-clock PAs... - LLLLifestyle! :wink: