Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

Driverack spikes/Pop on power down?

SherpaKrotoSherpaKroto Posts: 3
edited January 2008 in PA Connectivity
Just got my new Driverack PA and am indeed pleased. Big improvement in sound!

I've read a lot about the spikes/Pops on power down. How can I best protect myself from this? I understand the order each component should be turned on/off. I know a UPS will help, but I'd like to hook everything up through a power conditioner and be able to shut it all off with one switch. I am most concerned about how helpful my friends can be in powering things up and down. Any good ideas?

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The power conditioner is a good idea. Still get the UPS and run everything from the pow cond and plug that in the UPS. That way all electronics prior to amps will remain on. There is no absolute way to protect from the pop (someboby can always do something stupid). Just protect to the point you feel comfortable.

Gadget recommends soldering (hard wire) the cable inside the DRPA chassis to avoid pull outs and while you're in there, jump (by-pass) the switch.

DRA
  • Dra: Thanks. I was a bit too specific on my search. I did another more general search, and found a ton of good info.

I will get a power conditioner and UPS. Now if I could only keep my \"helpers\" at bay. I had a thought. If I placed the UPS between the power conditioner and the Driverack, wouldn't that give me a bit of additional protection for power loss issues (or would it negate the benefits of the conditioner)? If I lost power, the amps would immediately shut off, but the Driverack would still stay on for a few minutes. Seems like a good compromise.

Nice little unit, though. I find myself playing with it each day to see what else it can do. I am definitely finding that less is much more.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    That would be fine. the idea is to prevent the DRPA from shutting down.. even if for only minute or so till the amps are off.
    Gadget
  • For this power off pop problem, what about just putting a limiter after the DRPA, quickest attack, highest compression, and threshold just above your highest expected signal level. Would that capture the pop and otherwise not affect signal?
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    That might work. But, if the spike comes from losing power from the wall, then the limiter can't stop it.

Gadget?
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    We've explored any number of solutions but the transients are just too fast. The limiter is much more costly than a cheap USB any way.. But try it if you like, I can't imagine it will eliminate the whole thing, and what of artifacts...Let us know what you find, won't hurt to try.. just don't have the amps gains too high...

Gadget
  • kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Scott,

I wouldn't chance it... I even put the DR260 on a UPS... In the event of power failure this allows for the amps to fully power down before the DriveRack... This would be the normal power down sequence and is how it should be done anyways...

Kev
  • Thanks y'all -- makes sense -- UPS does sound like the best option.
    - scott