Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Length of Time it takes - Pink a Room with the 260 Driverack

JonnieJonnie Posts: 7
Hey All...

I'm pretty new to the world of the high-end pro audio - signal processing - etc...

My band performs about twice a week, and I couldn't pass up the deal I got on a new Driverack 260. It pretty much, at least to me, is the all inclusive signal processing package.

I haven't had the chance to plug it in and test it out... and most likely will not get a chance to until my show tomorrow night.

So my question is...

When I set the 260 to Auto EQ mode and it begins to 'pink' the room. How long does it take? IE, how long is the burst of pink noise? A few seconds? a minute? Sometimes, we work in venues that have clients eating dinner while we are setting up, so a long burst of pink noise at high volume wouldn't exactly be appropriate.

Also, any other 'quick setup' tips on the 260 for a beginner like me?

Gear it will be driving thru most of the time:
2- QSC HPR153 3-way tops
2- Yorkville NS720 15\" subs

Thanks in advance!

Jonnie
http://www.BostonCommonBand.com

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Hi,
    It sounds as though you don't have a \"sound guy\". Assuming you're mostly responsible and are \"new\", I would recommend not using it right away. Read, read, read on this and the former forum above.
    If you have to use it, do the following. If you do not have a lap top, beg, borrow, or steal one. Down load the GUI ASAP and play, play, play. Do the online tutorial (\"video professor\" type). Controlling with the computer is WAAAAAAY easier and more hands on than trying to punch and scroll the front panel.
    Pinking the room as you said may not be an option, but takes anywhere from 30 sec to 2 min dependind on the room. Even when done you can only trust the freqs from about 170 - 630 or so. Everything else has to be adjusted by ear because of cancelatons, etc (read up on this in forum).
    First time out you may want to simply use the X-over, Graphic EQ, AFS, limiters and possibly aligment delay for the speakers. Setting the gain structure is a little tougher since you have powered cabs, but do that.

Hope this helps, gotta go. Post back if you have follow-ups.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    First, don't even THINK of Auto EQing a room with people in it! ITS BRUTAL! Second don't even think of Auto EQuing a room.. period! (till you learn a lot.. and that is a long process with a steep learning curve.. if you do you will likely do more harm than good) Instead take the time to set up a dead flat preset that you can use as a default in difficult rooms, and as a tool for evaluating a room... Go to the \"former forum\" above^ and read all the \"tutorials\" first.. then do a search of all posts using key word searches about Auto EQ. then read Mikey Kovach's White paper...

Pay special attention to the \"new indoor auto eq method\" or if you can set up outdoors only one stack and get a baseline \"flat\" eq.. and store it.. also do a the other \"preset curves\" for comparison sake.

Make sure you have an actual measurement mic.. the one I suggest is the TR40 by Audix...

Set up a 2x3 or 2x4 depending on your other components..all custom setup in the wizard, insert the FBX and notch filters. Without knowing what amps you have but assuming you don't have any where near ideal power I suggest the following
    HPF 45 hz BW 18
    LPF 100-120 hz LR 24
    thats for the subs
    HPF of 100-120 hz LR 24
    try 100 hz first
    let the tops do whatever they can for top end so set the LPF to out...
    Save this setup and name it so you can find it..

Don't try and get too fancy right out of the box.. this thing is the Swiss army knife of audio and you have a LOT to learn. Setup is MUCH easier if you download the GUI and set the unit up using a computer.

Gadget
  • Options
    Sorry, for rushing off. Work and all. Don't feel that you are over your head or bothered that you have bought something that you are going to regret. You will love the 260. Take baby steps. Gadget, by the way, is the man when it comes to Driveracks, so listen very closely to what he says.

DRA
  • Options
    JonnieJonnie Posts: 7
    Thanks for the quick replies. I do catch onto things VERY quickly... so as far as learning curves, I'll be toying around with this unit with my spare time in my mini home-studio to learn all its capabilities.

Yes, I will be using my laptop with the DriveWare interface.

I bought the actual DBX microphone for pink'ing. But if you tell me not to worry about that right away, I won't.

Gadget, the system we will be using the most is:
    (2) QSC Powered HRP153 3 Way Tops (they are tri-amped from the factory already... 400w low - 100w mid - 100w high)
    and
    (2) Yorkville Elite LS720p (700w) Powered 15\" Subs. (adjustable high pass filter)

Basically, your recommending me to only use the built in EQ presets, and then use the built in compressor / feedback suppression ? What about the subharmonic synth... any tips for that?

Thanks again for all the help, it's greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Be aware that the compressor is a whole system compression, and for 99% of applications should not be used.

The sub-synth should not be used unless you need it. Gadget never uses his because he doesn't need to (nice system). He calls it a noise generator. It will fatten things up, but you are adding contend that is not there.

Something to consider... after you \"squeal the room\" check out the bands that were pulled out. Select up to 6 of the narrowest and puts those in the Notch Filter. Then re-squeal. It's kind of like getting extra AFS filters.

All and all it's a matter of need and in the end it's whatever sounds good.

Good luck.

Dra
  • Options
    \"Then re-squeal\"

Is anyone else hearing the banjo of the 'Deliverance' theme song right now?

we always called it 'ringing out' the room, but squealing is way funnier!
  • Options
    \"Squealing\" is the sound that the \"lucky\" guy make as he, with mouth open, induces feedback for the monitors. It's also the sound baquet staff make if they are setting tables up while the mains are being done. :wink:

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    I can visualize it now... Here's a sound guy bringing up his gains and yelling at his speakers \"Come on ya'll!... Squeal like a pig!\"...:lol::lol::lol:

I could probably get away with it...being from Kentucky...:D
  • Options
    Did you ever think... Those \"woodfolk\" had a young Jon Voight, young Burt Reynolds, and Ned Beaty to choose from... and they picked Ned.

\"Wwwwwweeeeeaaaaeeeiiieeeiieieiieeieiie\" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Go figure,

DRA
  • Options
    Wasn't Ned Beaty the actor that played the gigolo hair stylist in the movie \"Shampoo\"?... Wonder why \"he\" was singled out?...:shock:
  • Options
    Ah, this feels just like the Klipsch Forum, good to see a sense of humour here.

Guess I'll fit right in?
  • Options
    That was Warren Beaty. Neb Beaty played Lex Luthor's flunky in Superman the movie.

DRA

PS- Klipse, Yeah, we have a blast. Pig humer to MASH trivia. It's all on the table.
  • Options
    Your from Kentucky?
    kpippen wrote:
    I can visualize it now... Here's a sound guy bringing up his gains and yelling at his speakers "Come on ya'll!... Squeal like a pig!"...:lol::lol::lol:

I could probably get away with it...being from Kentucky...:D
  • Options
    G-town...and you?...
  • Options
    Henderson.
  • Options
    I know of Henderson but can't pin the location... Isn't it in Northern KY?...