Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

Unbalanced mixer outs

bjhuenibjhueni Posts: 4
edited May 2007 in PA Connectivity
Can I connect the unbalanced ST OUT R/L to the balanced inputs on my DRPA?

The mixer is a Yamaha EMX5000-12 and the ST OUTs are +4db line level.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Certainly... you just need converter cables...There is a button on the back otf the unit that allows +4 or -10 operation...
    gadget
  • Options
    I am having a hard time deciphering the correct conversion. It seems the output signal from the mixer is the correct level, it just isn't balanced.

I have heard complaints about these mixers lacking unpowered, balanced outputs but this is my first experience dealing with it.
  • Options
    Ok, not exactly sure what your trying to do here.. but
    cable 1:
    1/4 inch to XLR M(male out to driverack) tip of 1/4\" to pin 2 XLR sleave to pins 1 and 3 of XLR ... you could also use a balanced 1/4 \" the conversion is then tip = pin 2, ring = pin 3, sleave = pin 1 .
    cable 2:
    if you wanted to \"insert\" the DRPA in between the mixer and the internal power amp, you would need the female XLR versions of the above cables.

then \"ST OUT +4 db\" (on the mixer master section) L/R to driverack in cable (cable 1)
    if you were going stereo full range Hi outs DRPA to \"P. AMP IN + 4 db\" on the mixer master section. you could also add subs byu simply selecting a 2x3 or 2x4 in the DRPA and adding an amp and a speaker.. or powered sub.

Gadget
  • Options
    I will set the mixer amps to run aux1/aux2 for monitoring.

I will be using the DRPA to process unpowered stereo out heading for a Crown XLS 802 to drive 2 Yamaha S115Vs

I intend to add another amp ( Crown XTi 1000? ) to drive subwoofers ( S118V? ) in the future.

I ordered a couple of balanced 1/4 to MXLR 5' patch cables to make the mixer/DRPA connection before I realized my mixer had unbalanced outs. Is it possible to re-connect those cables as you outline in your cable 1 example?

Edit: Looking at the Audiopile website it appears the cables are wired as you describe in your balanced cable description;

pin 1 to sleeve
    pin 2 to tip
    pin 3 to ring

Is it possible I'm going to get lucky? ( with the cables anyway )
  • Options
    Yes that should work fine..
    gadget