Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Setting Limiter

James RJames R Posts: 22
edited September 2007 in PA General Discussion
Hello,
Wondering about this, how would I setup for some good limiting using voltage at the amps. IE SP4G biamped lows 700w 4 ohms 52.9 volts and highs 40w 8 ohms 17.9 volts. I'd like to setup my DRPA to limit or compress so not to exceed these.

Many Thanks,
James R 8)

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Good luck.. the DRPA has no brick wall limiting. your better off to set up with a gain structure and then once you have determined the threshold of the mixer clip, set the limiters to start hitting as the mixer is a minimum of 12 db below that. When the limiter starts hitting hard you'll start hearing it pump.
    G
  • Options
    Gadget, are you saying, that you need to set the drpa, limiters 12 db below, your systems top end to get the limiters to keep it from clipping??
  • Options
    I'm saying you NEED headroom in a system to insure you don't damage your speakers. The DRPA will allow overshoot.. If you set the limiters around 12 db below the onset of clipping you might actually get the peak stopped before the system starts clipping... Youi mileage may vary and I suggest you try this yourself...if your system clips at + 20-23 db as most mixers now can do, and you set your limiters 12 db below that.. your still 8-11 db over -0- vu where you start your limiters... I typically start out 6-10 db over -0- vu and attempt to get a soft limit I can't hear. If I find myself running balls to the wall I will use a brick wall limiter...if I had a visiting BE I would definitely set a brick wall..
    G
  • Options
    Typically I set me gain structure so my amps top out at -0- db on my mixer. I'm really considering changing that to around -9- db on my mixer but back on topic, right now with -0- being the top end, I have my limiters set at -12 db, and I usually hit the limiters ohh, between 3 to all 12 db, occasionally a few db more with really heavy loud bands. And yeah past about 6 db of compression I can hear the limiters kickin. I was wonderin if I had my limiter setup wrong or if my gain structure was totally wack and or what. So anywhoo thanks for the info mate. Any advise on changing my gain structure or anything would also be appriciated. Ohh I do have one question really quick, what good or bad comes from the overeasy portion of the limiter section. What's the best way to set it up if its a thing that is better left on than not. Thanks again mate.

Jess
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you set your mixer to max the amps at -0- on the mixer, you will be able to clip your amps real easy. You should set the mixer to max out (totally in the red) and your amps just bumping the red LED (usually -3db). Then you can never clip your amps, because the board can't give any more. Gotta run. Follow up if needed.

DRA
  • Options
    the main reason i started making my systems top end at 0 db on the board is the transition, from green to yellow on the meter, so even if im not paying direct attention the the meter, i can tell when it passes top end. and i like not having to push the board so hard to get the desired output from the system as a whole. like i said, im probobly gonna change it to 6 or 9 db at the board, to gain alittle more head room in the mixer and to even out the gain structure alittle more.
  • Options
    Problem is your equipment isn't all talking the same language that way ( voltage) and your signal to noise ratio in the analog domain is compromised and that is of utmost importance...The idea is to have the meters on the board only flickering in the just over -0-vu at the point the system is at concert volume. This way you have plenty of headroom...and no chance the speakers will be damaged by clipping from ANY piece of the system...

Gadget
  • Options
    like i said, im gonna change the gain structure alittle, but i cant go to having the mixer max out where my amps start hitting clip, i dont have that much system, it isnt unusual for me to run 3 db to 6db under my top end in program material situations, and bump past that for the peaks in the music. i have a very simple club setup, i have 2 yamaha club v dual 18 subs with 1200 watts per cab and 2 yamaha club v dual 15 tops with about 650 watts goin each cab. and i dont want to run my mixer that hot either, i hate having to push things to thier max. with what your suggesting for the music and bands i do i would need twice the power per cab and 4 to 5 times the number of cabs. i mean if i get you meaning and have my amps set to clip at +28 db on my mixer. when i adjust my gain structure, my amps will clip at +9 db on my mixer, which means that this way my program material will be at 0 to +3db on the meter and peaks will reach +9 db. and maybe a bit more on the truely rare occation. anywhoo, thanks for the advise guys.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I think the point you make is valid, if you are the only one using (able to put their hands on) the board. My concern is that if someone else says, \"I want it louder and keeps edging up the masters.\"

DRA
  • Options
    yeah, only a few people run sound on my stuff, and they are all my freinds, and they are allexperianced sound people...so im not worried about the idiot factor, the really rear occasion where i have guest engineer that i dont know, i tell them where not to push the system past, and if they do i let them know they are done, running sound on my stuff. and if they push the system past that point than i mean they are done, i have had security at shows and even mysefl occasionally pull guys away from my board. i try to be nice and work with people especially sense i charge extra for guest engineers, but som people just wont listen. anywhoo thanks for all the help guys