Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

DRPA set up with Yorkville Elite powered speakers

djmontybdjmontyb Posts: 4
edited June 2007 in PA Connectivity
I just bought a new powered rig. I'll be using it mostly in clubs.
Soundcraft FX16 Mixer with
2 Yorkville elite LS500 Frequency Response = 50 - 16k
Crossover Frequency (Hz) 2100

2 Yorkville elite LS800
Frequency Response= 45 - 150

I would greatly appreciate any helpful hints with setup, basic config.
with DRPA.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I assume that you have the LS800P, since you said that you have a powered rig. A little back ground... I have an E12 and SW800 (grandpa of the LS808) set-up (both passive).

From the info on the Yorkville sight your top cabs are processed already and the subs have an adjustable process control on the cab. This is what I'd do... From the fact that there is a 100hz switch if adding a sub, use that as your x-over point in the Driverack. Leave the 50hz roll off ingaged on the speaker and push the sub roll off to 150hz. Leave the contour flat (centered). In the DRPA set up 100hz, LR24 (slopes). If you are interested, I can get you the Parametric settings that I came up with by pinking and duplicating the curve of the Elite processor graph, and the Hi-pass filter that I ended up with to protect from over-excursion. (I'll have to pull the data when I get home later this afternoon).

Now all that changes if you are set on daisy chaining the tops through the subs, but that takes away the ability to control the outputs separtely if needed.

It was unclear if you already had the DRPA and are fmiliar with it, so I will leave it at that. Let me know if you need more info or the sub data.

Dra
  • Options
    Dra,
    Thanks for all the info. Yes I do have a DRPA. But I have had some problems in the past with my old Triamped set up. I'm not going to daisy chain the tops so.. Would I come out Left and Right of the HIGH output of the DRPA to the tops? I just want a basic set up maybe run the auto EQ with the RTA Mic. and keep it simple for now. Until I learn a little more about the set up functions.

Thanks for all the help.

Where do I send the check? jk

Cheers,
  • Options
    Auto EQ tip. It is only useful if using outdoors for setting a base line or fixing small natural problem with the PEQ's. Indoors the room will give the mic info that is not accurate. 160 - 700 hz is about all that will be correct. The rest has to be tuned by ear.

Dra
  • Options
    Is there a way to use the EQ settings Manually?
    What about setting up the Feedback Eliminator?
  • Options
    EQ? Sure. Just lots of pushing and scrolling. It takes some time to get used to it. If you have access to an analog EQ put it inline in front of the DRPA, flatten the DRPA's EQ then adjust the outboard EQ to taste. Remove the outboard EQ and duplicate the adjustments. Then you can fine tune from there.

Feedback - Just follow the directions on screen in the Wizard. Whether you want the mic at you mix position or out in front of the speakers depends alot on what your needs are. The narrower the notch (music hi) the less the sound will be altered. Speech is the widest notch (still a lot narrower than a fader on a 31 band EQ) Speech is also faster to grab the feedback. Some set up 6 fixed and leave 6 live (floating), others set more, if not all, to fixed. You can mix and match music hi fixed and speech, etc live.

Dra
  • Options
    One more thing.

When you pink, you'll probably see a hump from 1Khz - 3Khz. This is the presence peak that Yorkville adds for live applications to make the vocals pop and is supposed to be there. (unless you don't want it for Playback)

Dra