Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Driverack PA acting strangely

pretendapretenda Posts: 6
edited August 2007 in PA General Discussion
Hi,

I have bought a new driverack PA, and I am having the following problems with it:

1. Goes into some strange demonstration mode after a short period of time, which has not happened on the other units I have used. This goes through and shows you all of the features in the unit.

2. When I try to do a hard reset by holding <store> while the unit is turning on it doesn't do anything, it does not show the hard reset option as shown in the manual. I cannot get into the 'Soft Reset' or the 'System Lock Out' options either.

3. We also cannot access the following function buttons:
    EQ Comp/Limiter Program Utility Store Wizard

Having said that, we can access the wizard by pressing the 'RTA Input' button, then pressing it again. Also we can access the program menu by resetting the unit, however, once we go off that function, we cannot return to it.

It appears to work ok other than this, audio is passed through the unit no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    edited June 2007
    Hello Matt,

That sounds like an internal firmware or hardware problem...or a loose connector on the user keypad... If no one here on the forum has any ideas you may want to call and ask tech support (801) 566-8800... Post back your findings...

Kevin

PS. If forum user \"Dra\" replies to your post listen to him... He knows the PA inside and out...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Double check that you are pressing the right buttons as the power is turned on (store, utility, data wheel). It is obvious that you are \"Locked Out\" from program options. If this continues return it and get another. Better yet upgrade to a 260 for about $700.

Question #1 - the \"demo\" that you see it one of the options in the \"Utility\" section that you can't access.

Dra
  • Options
    Thank you both for your help!

I live in Australia, so I might just call up the place I bought it from and figure out what we can do.

I have tried those key combinations again, this is what I did:
      Turned DRPA off Hold down <store> Turn DRPA on unit passes through its startup proceedure program light comes on and it shows me the current program

I have held the button down for over a minute from when the program light comes on and nothing has come up.

If I hold the Data wheel down while it is booting up, it gives me a white screen until I let go, when it says DriveRack PA, then it boots as normal. (I am assuming this is normal)

One other question, to cancel this 'demo' screen, the only buttons i can cancel it with are the buttons that actually bring up a function (XOVER, FEEDBACK, DELAY, SUBHARMONIC). If there was a lockout on the functions I cannot access, would these buttons still cancel the 'demo' screen?

From what I can see, there is something wrong with the keypad as kpippen said. (The entire bottom row doesnt work, as well as the third column.)
  • Options
    G-Day Matt,

If you have technical background and if handy with tools you might want to crack it open to check for a loose connection... But I would call tech-support in Australia first...if they have an office there?... If you decide to do so leave the unit unplugged for 30 minutes or so before opening; just incase something inside needs to discharge...:)

Here is your REP in Australia:

JANDS
    LOCKED BAG 15, 40 KENT ROAD
    MASCOT NSW 2020 AUSTRALIA
    Tel. 61 02 9582 0909
    Fax. 61 02 9582 0999
    E-mail: info@jands.com.au

You could email them this link http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=819 and maybe they could contact tech-support for you..

Kevin
  • Options
    Matt,

I emailed one of the local (USA) tech-support guys and asked him to look at your thread...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    Didn't see this before. Turn on while pressing Wizard button. This will (hopefully) open a screen to unlock user inputs.

The \"Banner\" that you see is turned on and off in the \"Utilities\" section.

Dra
  • Options
    Dra's the man!!!...until his wife comes home...then she's the man!...:lol:

Sorry Dra,

But...is that funny or what?...:)
  • Options
    First off... I am the man at all times. When I get home I do, however, hand over the pants.

2ndly, (or should I say 2nd off) We don't know if that is going to solve his problem. It shouldn't have come out of the box like that.

Pretenda, let us know whatever you find. It helps others on the board.

Dra
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    First off... I am the man at all times. When I get home I do, however, hand over the pants.
    Hey Man,

Just curious: How do you upgrade the firmware on a PA?... Is it a chip replacement or something?...

Kevin
  • Options
    From what I've seen (read here) there is an upgrade of supported components. There is a chip that has to be replaced and I think that it was Gadget who said that you have de-solder the old one and solder in the new one. Unless they add Yorkville Elite's to the line, I won't be upgrading mine (unless they add actual features).

Dra
  • Options
    They very recently came out with a new FW upgrade V1.6 for the 260 but from what I understand it only affected the \"zone control\" features... Like you say...no need to upgrade if there is no benefit to it…:)
  • Options
    Hey Matt,

Did you find out anything?...

Kevin
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all.

I called up the supplier, who said not to open it or anything, and call Jands for help. They said that I will have to send it off to their repair centre at Mascot. I will let everyone know what they do to it when I get it back in a week or so!

Thank you all very much for your help!

Matt
  • Options
    Did you try the \"Wizard reset\" to see if it would unlock?

Dra
  • Options
    Yeah, I tried that also, unfortunately it didn't work. From what I have read [correct me if I am wrong here] the soft reset, hard reset and system lockout functions should still be accessible no matter what lockouts are enabled. None of them work. Jands got me to try all three of them and they also had no luck.

Thanks for your help :)
  • Options
    Bummer!...:(
  • Options
    One would think that for a brand new item, instead of \"Sorry about that. It's under warranty, we'll have it fixed. Come back in 3 weeks.\", it would be \"Sorry, here's a new one. We'll send this back and get a credit issued from DBX.\"

Dra
  • Options
    especially if its DOA right out of the box....
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sounds like the entire row of buttons not working is the key.. and NO don't open up a unit under warranty... ever it voids said warranty...Thats true for all manufacturers...It's probably a loose cable but you never know... I know the display uses a friction fit connector, but not sure about the keypad.. I'm sure it has a ribbon cable.. figures it would use a less man hour intensive plug and play method than a solder type...Although a wave soldered no socket on one end would be cheaper...Here I would hope that the supplier would swap it out for a (verified) working unit..I.E. open the unit... plug it in.. fire it up and run through the functions before he EVER LEAVES THE BUILDING... Thats what I would do...
    G
  • Options
    Hey Matt,

What did they find?...

Kevin
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I received the driverack back two weeks ago. I found out after i sent away the unit that Jands is extremely poor with their service. They did not even know that they had my driverack for over two weeks, then it took them a few weeks to repair, then it got 'lost in transit' (which ended up being that it had not left their factory). They gave me a courier tracking number that was not mine.

In the end, all they needed to do was to resolder the cable that connects the front panel to the mainboard.

I am not a very happy camper, but I am glad that we now have it back in our hands and it works well.

Thank you all for your help.
  • Options
    Geez Matt,

If only you had hindsight... You probably would have cracked it open and fixed it yourself... Anyways,...it's good to hear you're up and running...:)

Cheers,

Kevin