Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Configuration Wizard
Options

How do I verify that my sub is not blown?

wolfgongwolfgong Posts: 74
Gadg, Dra & nipper, et al -

I had someone use a system that I had installed and from looking at the settings after it was used, I suspect the sub may have been blown.

I know I can run some sound through it, but are there physical signs I can look for?

W

Comments

• Options
    physical signs may be crumples in the cone, odd burnt smell or damaged surrounds. You will either hear nothing if a voicecoil has been roasted or scratching type noises if it has been deformed. do not apply direct force to the cone as you can push a speaker out of alignment. A signal generator can help as a pure sine wave will sound quite wrong if there's any physical problems.
    It may not be blown though, jumping to conclusions can hurt..
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    9-volt battery will give a nice thump. No movement either means the coil is fried (no curcuit) or the coil has overheated and seized in place. Either way..... dead. If, like J. said, there is a scratching or rubbing sound, that is also bad news. If you need to re-cone, I have a cheap and good guy that I've used. He's in Tenn. I got quotes from Cal to Fla and he blew them all out of the water. If interested PM me.

DRA
  • Options
    wolfgongwolfgong Posts: 74
    Thanks guys, I will check it out and let you know what I find.

W
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hey Wolfie didn't you lock the settings so they couldn't get in to change them?
    G