Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

Using JBL PRX535s & PRX518S w/Driverack PA

railwarriorrailwarrior Posts: 4
edited July 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
Just picked up a new Driverack PA. I had read the manual online before I purchased to make sure that the JBL PRX 535 & 518S were listed and they were. However, when I setup the system and went to select those speakers, they are not listed on my unit. Since the production date on my unit is Jan '07 and these speakers are fairly new design, I'm assuming that is the reason they are not listed when selecting speakers? Can someone please post a link exactly where I can find those settings? I've read it mentioned on these forums about retrieving the information on speakers not listed from the software for the 260. I've been downloading all kinds of things on this site realted to the 260 unit and I can't find tunings for these when attempting to use the programs.
Should I consider sending this unit in to update for these speakers?
If so, what additional cost is this?
I've had experience with an older Driverack PA before, but using passive speakers. The whole powered deal is new to me. Basically I ran the system for the first time last night on pre-set 4 (2-Way w/mono sub).
I didn't up the db levels on anything and left them at 0.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I've been downloading all kinds of things on this site realted to the 260 unit and I can't find tunings for these when attempting to use the programs.

Did you download the GUI for the 260 and set up your speakers in it? I was unclear.
    Other than x-over, limiter and amp input level recommendations, there isn't really much more.

DRA
  • I have downloaded:

DriveWare GUI
    v2.6.2

When I run the program, of course it goes to offline mode (since I don't have anything hooked up).
    I selected 260 and tried to mess with the interface. (the icon shows up)
    I've downloaded it twice on 2 separate computers and I apparently can't figure out how to manipulate this program to view the speaker information.
    I guess if I need to just choose custom speakers.....I need to know the recommended x-over, limiter, and amp input level recommendations.
    Nothing is listed under the speaker tunings (in download section)
    for any driverack models and the PRX series...
    I do appreciate your response and your time.
    Thanks!
  • DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Open up the Driveware GUI.
    In the lower right corner there is a \"Wizard button\". Click it.
    Click \"next\" until the speaker selection screen opens.
    Select PRX series and then the model # for the tops and then subs.
    The amp screens will give you the \"knob\" setting of the amps.
    \"next\" untill you are asked to load, then load.
    Double click the X-over module and copy the settings. I personally like to assign the sub x-over to match the top cab instead of \"flat\" out as shown, but whatever you prefer. The sub has onboard Hi and Lo pass filters, so do what you think best. The cabs also have onboard limiters, and you can decide if you want the DRPA limiters to assist. There are no canned PEQ settings. You can do you on research and testing out doors to tweek any imperfections in the response.
    All the x-over, etc info that you copy can then be manually input into the DRPA. You will just select \"custom\" for all speakers and amps.
    It is a common misconception that the DRPA uses the amp selection screen to \"adjust\" the DRPA to the amp. It does not. It only tells you, based on their research, that this is what they found to be a good setting. If you had individual amps, I would suggest setting your own gain structure, but since you have powered cabs with limiters that proccess would become very difficult. Any way... good luck. Hope this helped.

DRA

PS - \"Speaker tunings\", with a few exceptions, are only provided for non-powered cabs that will be bi- or tri-amped. That proccessing is already done to a good extent in the x-over of passive cabs and in some \"proccessed\" powered cabs to a greater extent. This is a very common misconception of what Driverack units will actually do for you.
  • Reading the manual only goes so far and someone with real world experience to share that knowledge (you) is really needed and is greatly appreciated. I'll give your suggestions a try.
    Thank you!