Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard

DRPA setup with Elite System

your2slowyour2slow Posts: 26
edited July 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
To start off, I've just purchased the DBX Drive RACK PA and had a few questions. I've done much reading here and am looking for the best way to setup my system.. Keep in mind I'm a newb to this stuff too.

Current System

Mackie SR24-4 VLZ Pro = Mixer
QSC RMX 2450 - Top Amp
Yorkville AP 4040 - Bottom Amp
Yorkville Elite EX2000 (1000 watt dual 15\" woofers, 2\" compression driver, 1\" super tweeter) - Top Speakers
Yorkville Elite SW1000 (Dual 18\" Sub Cabinet) - Bottoms

And now I've got the DRPA.

I'm planning on doing a 2-way connection, Low L/R of the DRPA to my Yorkville AP4040, and Hi L/R to my QSC RMX 2450.

Just need some help on how to configure the DRPA for this type of setup. Anyhelp would be appreciated and any links for more info would help too.

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Welcome, fellow Elite-ist.

From the the Yorkville site http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/other/omp2000.pdf
    I'll try to duplicate the curve of the proccessor for you EX2000's
    After setting up your\"custom\" tops and subs, QSC amp and \"custom\" sub amp, go into the x-over section and set up the x-over like this.

Hi - 110hz BW6
    Lo - 40hz BW18 hi-pass (lo-cut)
    - 110hz BW12 lo-pass (hi cut)

Go into EQ and next to PEQ Lo, select Bell and enter F1 - 50hz, 3.4Q, +3.5db, F2 - 60hz, 5.7Q, +5db
    These are just guesses, but should be close.

Be sure to do a gain structure.

Below is a detailed instruction (Thanks, to Kevin Pippen for writing this up)There are some links that didn't paste so here is the link to the original. http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2882#2882

1. Turn amplifier(s) attenuators all of the way down to zero (fully counter clockwise), disable amplifier(s) clip limiters (if used), and disconnect the speaker cables.

2. Make sure all DriveRack dynamic processors like GEQ, Compressor, limiters, PEQ, AFS, SubSynth, etc., are disabled.

3. Play pink noise through one of input channels of the mixer because it's consistent dynamically...

Note: Please click here to download a 20 minute pink noise track (track58.zip) by courtesy of Michael \"Bink\" Knowles... His entire test CD can be found here...

4. Set mixer input channel fader (with pink noise) at \"unity\" (0dB).

5. Disable the AFL(s) (after fader listen) on the mixers master output channel(s) and enable the PFL (pre fader listen) on the mixer input channel (with pink noise).

6. Turn up the mixer input channel gain trim pot (with pink noise) until meter bounces in the yellow at just about 3dB below clipping.

Note: If your mixer does not have PFL simply set the input gain just below the point where the channel \"clip light\" barely (occasionally) bounces on.

7. Disable the PFL on the mixer input channel and enable the AFL(s) on the mixer master output channel(s).

8. Slide your mixer's master fader(s) up until meter is just barely (occasionally) bounces in the red at clipping.

9. With the DriveWare GUI open the DriveRack panel meter and then one of the mixer input dialogs (click on the \"M\"). Put the master fader at “unity� (0dB). Watch the DriveRack’s panel meter and pull the input fader up or down until the output meters are bouncing in the yellow about 3dB just below clipping. Absolutely no clipping (red) on the DriveRack’s output panel meters!

10. Click on the other channel’s mixer input dialog (click on the “M�), set the master fader at “unity� and put the input fader at the very same location as the previous channel.

11. Turn up the amplifier gain trim pot (clockwise) until the amplifiers red clip light barely bounces on.

12. Turn back the amplifier gain trim pot (counter clockwise) about 3dB to 4dB from the clip position. Mark this position. This provides approximately 3 to 4dB of headroom before clipping.

13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 for all amplifier(s) channels driven by the DriveRack.

14. Bring mixer's master fader(s) all the way back down to off, re-enable your DriveRack’s dynamic processors, re-enable amplifier(s) clip limiters (if used), and reconnect speakers.

Note: It is highly recommended to re-check the gain structure and output limiters if the X-over gains have been changed, or if any \"enhancements\" have beem made using GEQ, PEQ, or SubSynth afterwards. It is also recommended to keep the amplifier's clip limiters disabled If using the DriveRack's output limiters.

Be careful of the Auto EQ and read up on it before attempting. Crappy sound and damage to speakers can result if misused (used and left as EQ'ed).

DRA
  • your2slowyour2slow Posts: 26
    Man you rock. I been a member of many forums in the past but I've got to say, this one is amazing. DRA your response was quick and perfect. Thanks so much for your help.
    I (we) are always interested on how things go. So keep us up to date.

DRA
    Hey, found something interesting. I have an old 1994 Yorville brochure / catalog. In it it states the x-over point as 90hz. Do some experimenting?

DRA