Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Firmware Update for DRPA

johnk-8johnk-8 Posts: 6
edited July 2007 in PA General Discussion
Hello....

Is there a way to update the firmware on a DRPA? I noticed on the updated user manuals.. My speakers and amps are listed in the tuning choices now.

JBL MRX series speakers
CROWN XTI series amps.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes, there is. Is it worth it? That is debatable. Do a search for \"Update\" and similar. This question asked several times. Several options listed. Then make a discision.

DRA
  • Options
    johnk-8johnk-8 Posts: 6
    Ok... I found many similar posts for my problem.
    I don't want to ship off the unit.. since I use it constantly.

So... I downloaded the dr260 firmware and entered my speakers and amps to get the x-over setting for my system.

The program gives you a \"amp level setting\" in the PA amplifier dialog box that can be changed. Is this setting where I should set my amps for optimal performance?

My xti2000 setting reads \"56\"
    My xti4000 setting reads \"57\"

Or... do I go through a gain structure first... then change the settings in the firmware to match my amp level setting... then go back to the x-over and use the new settings?

I'm confuses on the proper order of steps to get where I want to be.

Another issue I need help with is using compression to ad punch to the system. Does anyone have the optimal settings for compressing the front end?

thank
    john

thanks
    jk
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The settings for your amps are \"theory settings\" that someone at DBX came up with. Click here after reading response, http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... &start=255, 2nd post down.
    As an test, do the \"SUPER DUPER\" gain and limiter settings per the procedures and compare with your \"56 / 57\" recommendations, but go with your findings.

As far as using the compressor....
    Is there a place for it? Yes
    In a band situation? No, unless you want the vocals (and everything else)to drop out every time the kick drum is used.
    For a DJ? Maybe, but probably not. If any, used very, very litely.
    For a screaming comedian (Sam Kinnessen)? Yes

You said that you wanted punch. Add commpresson to a piece of music and the punch will go away. Sure it will be louder all the time, but it will have no dynamics. Soft should be soft and loud should be loud. Adding compression to music recorded or mixed live, is not the same as compressing a bass guitar or a snare drum. And worse you'll likely over heat your amps because they can't breathe and shorten the life of you speakers, because they can't rest.

DRA