Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

How to elimate Bass guitar coming though the horns.

blueboyblueboy Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
We have just recentley bought a Drive Rack PA system, and are having trouble getting the bass guitar out of the horns. Everything else sounds awesome, but the bass guitar sound coming from the horns on our main speakers sound really bad. We are running our system as a 3-way, with highs, mids, and lows. Does anybody have any suggestions or a good starting point with the frequencies in the cross-over section, or any other adjustments we can make. We appreciate any help you could give.
Here is our set-up:

Driverack PA
2 - 3way Mackie powerd speaker SR1530z
2 - EV Main Speakers powerd by Peavey CS 1000 power amp
2 - Powerd 18inch QSC sub woofers
2 - Peavey 18inch sub woofers powerd by a Mackie FR 2500 power amp
Mackie Onyx 1640 mixing board

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hmmm...
    Perhaps more info is in order here. I (here we go) assume that you are simply crossing the top speakers and the subs? I have to tell you that it's bad enough using dissimilar subs but two different tops as well.. not a good way to go...are you sure that all the drivers are going the same direction with a positive signal? you could be suffering from polarity problems. It's bad enough trying to get two like tops to cooperate per side but when you get two different speakers all together... they cross at different points.. and can cause phase shifts and nulls and all sorts of sonic chaos...Is it the Lo register of the bass guitar thats the problem, or the attack?

so many questions..
    Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes, more info needed. Get your hands on a John Pattatuchi (sp?) CD. How does the bass guitar sound now? The x-over will only distribute to the drivers that it is \"supposed\" to. However, if someone has changed the impedence of a driver, the filter freq will change dramatically. Try each top cab alone (w/out sub) to see if there is a change.

DRA
  • Options
    blueboyblueboy Posts: 3
    We are crossing the tops and the subs. It is the attack mainly. The low end is pretty good. The other instruments, come through properly in the mains. It is the only intrument we can't seem to get lined out. The bass guitar is coming through the subs and is booming. Then it also comes out of the tops, and through the horns on the tops. We have tried going from one end of the frequency spectrum to the other to get the frequencies out, but to know avial. It might be a polarity problem, with all of the mixing and matching we are doing. I believe the drivers are going in the same direction with a positive signal. Unfortunately I'm just a guitar player and when it comes to sound issues, I'm kind of out of my leauge. I will definitely try some of the suggestions you both have given. I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    What is the bass's set-up? Direct? Mic'd? Processed? Be specific in hook up. By \"booming\", do you mean extra loud? If so, have you tried padding that input? Basses tend to be hot by nature when direct.

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    How did you get a bass guitar to squeeze through your horns?...
  • Options
    Bass guitar, not largemouth bass. :roll:

BLUEBOY, what's going on?

DRA