Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

So who is this Gadget guy anyway and what qualifies him to d

GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
Hi everyone,

Well I guess it's time to reveal just who the heck \"gadget\" is... My name is Gary Perrett and I live in a small backwater town on the Mississippi river called Cohasset. It's just outside of Grand Rapids Mn. I'm 55 years young and I have 5 great kids from two failed marriages. We won't go into that but lets just say that I made some bad choices and leave it at that :lol:

I grew up here in Gods country a 4 season sportsman living in paradise. I am a National Ski patrol instructor on downhill, toboggan, winter emergency care instructor, and have EMT level medical training. I am an avid snowmobiler, also. In the spring I have a dirt bike, a big bike, I also pedal and roller blade. I hunt, fish, swim like a fish, Water ski, para sail, barefoot ski, have Obrien world team comp skiis.. trick and slalom, and wakeboards, kneeboards, and boat that will do nearly 60 MPH. I love to fish and I live in the right place for all of this.

I can fix anything but the crack of dawn, I have an awesome shop complex where my businesses are run out of. I own Advanced Auto and small engine and I am a high end drive ability mechanic and specialize in computers and electronics as well as wiring, fuel and ignition systems and general system trouble shooting. I also do general auto repair.. but I thrive on the tough stuff.

I repair and build instruments.. mostly guitars and Basses, and have over 30 guitars and 5 basses as well as a backline that would make most anyone proud.. I have in my collection a JCM 800, 1967 picture frame fender twin reverb with closed back, ported single JBL 15\" (a favorite of the old blues players as well as steel players) a 1964 fender black faced bassman with the legendary AB763 (same as the 1956 bassman) with the non CBS smaller piggyback cab loaded with the Jensen alnico's. I have a Dean Markley signature series all tube head that is number 001...I have cabs loaded with Celestion vintage 30's EV black face... some really old alnico's, some Eminence and so on. I have 4 bass rigs headlined by a fender American deluxe jazz bass and a Carvin probass 500 with a 6x10 aluminum driver Yorkville cab. I have 3 drumsets, One Tama rockstar 9 piece, a pearl export 6 piece and a Roland electronic set with DM 4, DM 5, and several other modules. I also have several high end keyboards, as well as other various performance instruments.

These come in handy in my recording studio, performance/jam room above the garage floor. I have been recording for over 30 years. I was a radio engineer in a past life for a 100,000 watt FM public radio station KAXE(one of the first independent stations ever) I set up repeater stations and did live remote broadcasting and recording of local events, as well as the daily engineering tasks and several weekly live radio shows. I attended the NPR (national public radio) recording workshop in Denver several times.

I have a sound reinforcement business (Twilite Zone productions) and I do system design and install in churches, public places, golf courses, etc. I also repair electronics, and build custom tube amps. I design and build speaker systems as well as monitors, and cases and such. There is of course the Live sound/karaoke/Dj business that I have out 6 nights a week.. I have done 10's of thousands of weddings, parties, proms, and the like...I have been doing live sound for 4o years...and yes we used tube 4 channel amps and the first line arrays... here it comes

:D Fender speaker columns.. it was SO high end... :lol: I have several rigs, the big one can do a few thousand easily, and my primary rig is a house install in the coolest club north of the cities (MPLS ,St Paul).

I have done sound for a ton of local and regional talent including some \"B\" level bands such as, Great White, Ratt, The Kentucky Headhunters, Corey Stevens, his sister, the Crickets, Lamont Cranston, La Gunns, ETC...My son and I have been house techs in several other clubs (our systems) in Hewet MN, Checkers, and Pistol Pete's and Playmakers in Fargo Nd.

I was also a master chef in a former life, and was an area supervisor for Ponderosa systems, I opened new Ramada Inn restaurants for a time and worked at several high buck restaurants in my time... I cook a MEAN steak!

In another past life I was a Coast Guard, aviation electronics technician, and flew and maintained the systems on HU 16 E ( the plane.. the plane...)aircraft and flew SAR and fisheries patrols as well as drug and search and rescue flights...

I was also a steel worker and I built the steel plants up here that provide the steel for your cars and trucks...and such...

There's a bunch of incidentals too numerous to mention, but again lets not go there..Oh, I write for a local online magazine.. color commentary...I have been answering questions here since about well.. almost 7 years... through three forum changes and a whole lot of different users all over the world...I'm a carpenter, cabinet maker, plumber, musician, writer.. said that...starting to repeat myself..must be time to end this self indulgent diatribe...

Thats me folks.. somewhat less than in a nutshell.. but oh well.. you get the idea right?

Now you might have a better feel for my \"signature line\"
:lol:

Ahh well, be well folks.. I'm around as usual..

Gadget[/b]

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I thought you were qualified. :roll: But I guess not. :wink: Did you change your name from Neil Armstrong to avoid the public? 8)

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Soooo...is that all you got?...:P

Holy Mosses Gary!... You still have all your fingers and toes?...:shock: How about a pic?...:wink:

Kevin
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

Here's our beloved Gadget...

Gary.jpg

I expected to see lots of scar tissue...ouch.gif
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    He looks bigger on television...

Mikey
  • Options
    GadgitGadgit Posts: 24
    edited August 2007
    Hello pups,

I’ve stopped by this forum a couple times and it's obvious that someone with extensive pro-audio experience and knowledge is badly needed here!...8) Heck, I was installing audio gear while you guys were still swimming in your daddy's sacks!...:lol: I don’t understand all the fuss about setting gain structure when it’s so darn simple!...:roll: All you have to do is turn your amplifier knobs fully clock wise and everything else takes care of itself!... Anyways,...just consider yourselves lucky to have me checking-in from time to time!...:D

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    :twisted: There is power in the dark side :twisted:

Did you enjoy your trip to Denmark? How was the fish? :roll:

DRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey there Dra,

Are you addressing me?...
  • Options
    No. :roll:
  • Options
    Ok play nice...and DON\"T even get me started on JBL OR Bose!

Gadget
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hello pups,

Just thought I'd share some of my unvaluable knowledge about the best darn sub-woofer ever made!...:) Heck,...This little pestle will blow them new fangled LabSubs clean outta Dodge!...:lol:

This here's the BOSE ACOUSTIC WAVE CANNON...8)

wavecannon.gif

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    Wait till you see my new subwoofer in a soup can! complete with a mini Belchfire (R) with a working thermoneuclear power plant built in that generates 1.21 jigawatts, 191 DBspl @ 4 miles with bone crushing frontal assault @ 1 meter. Guaranteed to 'liquefy yer innards\" and produce that \"imodal\" response...
    :lol:
    G
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Listen-here young pup,...I'll put that \"soup can\" in my WAVE CANNON...and I'll blast it back to China...where it belongs!...:lol:

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    Hey 'git, what happened to your JBL logo? Did they pull your funding? :lol:

DRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey there Dra,

Yep,...someone got themself in an uproar and stole my avatar...:mad: Next thing ya know they'll be stealing my identity...:cry: That's what I get for coming here, sharing my unvaluable knowledge,...and trying to help you pups out...:wink:

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    Was that supposed to be invaluable knowledge?

Anyway, I used to do gigs with a guy that have the powered Acousta-Mass system. I believe it had like 3 rows of 3) 3\" or 4\" drivers that were all arrayed with a hidden 12\" in a compartment with a slotted vent. He had three of these stacked on a Bose dual 12\" sub cab (un-powered) driven by at mac2400. For a club set-up playing pop / jazz / blues where everyone played direct, it was a sweet sounding rig.
    I heard nothing but bad things about their new \"tube\" system.

DRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hey there Dra,

Please Clairify... Did you mean the BOSE ACOUSTIMOUSE speaker?...:roll: It's been my unvaulable experience that the ACOUSTIMOUSE is a far superior speaker than the ACOUSTIMASS or any other speaker for that matter!...:!: If your unfamiliar with the ACOUSTIMOUSE just fess-up and ask... I'll be happy to share my unvaluable knowledge about the differences...:wink:

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    Yes, I would like a detailed description (with schematics) of how this system works. Include how the adding of cabinets per side influences the properties of the room and in what ways.

DRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dra wrote:
    Yes, I would like a detailed description (with schematics) of how this system works. Include how the adding of cabinets per side influences the properties of the room and in what ways.
    I can do better than that!... Just incase you can't tell the difference...the ACOUSTIMOUSE has an active crossover...:lol:

BOSE ACOUSTIMASS SPEAKER

acoustimass.jpg

BOSE ACOUSTIMOUSE SPEAKER

bosemouse.jpg

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    The real trick here is if you use 2 per side... gettin them thar things ballanced on top of one anuther...( See now.. I've lowered myself to yer standerds...) Oui Vei I can't even even imagine the guy wires necessary to stackem moren..say 3 high...

I guess one of the country artists has been using them for a while as stage monitors...and likes them quite well.. only problem is that (at least on the originals) the hi frequencies start to fall off after only a short time...I assume those little drivers fatigue...not sure if they got that fixed yet.

Anyway gidgit...forget those wanna be speaker manufacturers.... Get some of those K-pips-whippen woofers :idea: We know how to get a hold of them if you don't...
    Spot...
  • Options
    Dagget wrote:
    I guess one of the country artists has been using them for a while as stage monitors...and likes them quite well...only problem is that (at least on the originals) the hi frequencies start to fall off after only a short time...
    That "artists" was "The Sliver Fox"... Problem was...he liked em a little to much!...:roll: It's not that the high frequencies fell off...every time we turned our backs one of the drivers was missing!...:x
    Dagget wrote:
    I assume those little drivers fatigue...not sure if they got that fixed yet.
    That was the preliminary assumption by some...but we found the drivers start squeaking if the "C Factor" cheese.gif gets low... So we enabled a 16KHz LPF on the high mouse...and the problem was solved…:D The driver alignment's a little tricky...but we're working on that...:?
    Dagget wrote:
    Anyway gidgit...forget those wanna be speaker manufacturers.... Get some of those K-pips-whippen woofers We know how to get a hold of them if you don't...
    First off...the handle's GADGIT!...:x

Now bout that kpippen… I knew his daddy…and he would say to him “you’re so lazy you stink� or “you’reas worthless as tits on boar hog�… Now I'll say this bout that young pup…he is thorough… So if he’s working on something it might turn out to be a pretty good thing…but then again…it probably won't!...:lol:

Anyways,...I reckon there's a storm brewing on the horizon!... I guess I'll ride over to the PSW and teach them boys a thing or two... Keep your top-notch tight and your nose to the wind...:)

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    Gadgit, I just heard from kpip. Meet us by old man Kelsey'd crick. That's right beside old man Kelsey's woods. We'll straighten you out. WEEEEIEIIEEIIEEE.
    :wink:
    DRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I tell you Dra, If plane fares weren't so high I'd hop one and re-arrange his fiscal earning ability.... :!: :lol:

Oh well he'd better be wearing flame proof undies over at the PSW... I suspect he'll be toast by nightfall.. probably won't hear much from him from now on...I hope he takes a poke at the \"Old Sound Man\"... that'll finish him for sure...
  • Options
    I went to his websight and checked out his rig. Pretty impressive. Two Peavey 1970's era verical pa columns for tons of mids powered by a Sears gold series Symphonic amplifier (25w @16 ohms), on top of a pair of powered Crate 10\" subs (the open back kind with built in sustain and overdrive). They'll hit hard all the way down to 105hz (-10db).

So long Gadgit your insight will be missed, but then again I enjoy spicy mexican food and hemeroids. For some reason I always hum the same Bob Seger song. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

DRA
  • Options
    Hello buckaroos,

While I was helping those pilgrams at the PSW I kept feeling these sharp piercing pains in my back!... You know...it felt like a stabbing...:shock:

Gadget wrote:
    I tell you Dra, If plane fares weren't so high I'd hop one and re-arrange his fiscal earning ability.... :!: :lol:
    You want a piece of me?... BRING IT ON...DAGGET!!!:x
    Dra wrote:
    I went to his websight and checked out his rig. Pretty impressive. Two Peavey 1970's era verical pa columns for tons of mids powered by a Sears gold series Symphonic amplifier (25w @16 ohms), on top of a pair of powered Crate 10" subs (the open back kind with built in sustain and overdrive). They'll hit hard all the way down to 105hz (-10db).
    Howdy Dra,

Not impressed with the size of your system either...but you did get a quality one...:wink:

DraWave.gif

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    I paid the ultimate respect to your audiophile era gear. Those were the days and Jimmy Carter, too. What more could you ask? That wave radio is sweet. Paul Harvey praised those. He said that one would fill the Boston Garden. When you push them hard to fill an arena, they catch fire, but keep on pumping out the heat. Check the facts on snopes.

DRA

PS - Which Umpa Lumpa were you?
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Meet us by old man Kelsey'd crick. That's right beside old man Kelsey's woods. We'll straighten you out. WEEEEIEIIEEIIEEE.
    :wink:
    DRA
    Hi Dra,

Hope Gadgit didn't let you down?...wink.gif

Gadgette
  • Options
    Gadgette, Is the operation reversable? I was just getting to like Gadgit.

DRA

And yes, when I crank them up, things ARE serious.
  • Options
    Ok...

I think it's time to get back to business...any more of this WILL be too much fun and games...
    The REAL...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Ohhh mannn... It was just startin to get fun!...:cry: