Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

PA Newby

jaredkranzjaredkranz Posts: 12
edited August 2007 in PA Connectivity
I just bought a Driverack PA and just have a few questions.

If I want to run it through a passive mixer, am I able to run it through the aux in and outs, like a normal effects unit or signal processor. Is this possible?

My other option is to run it from the mixer, into the driverack, into the powered speakers. The speakers have only one inlet, in other words I will not be using the driverack as a crossover.

So, I have the following questions:

1) Which method would work better

2) Which outlets on the driverack (High/medium/low) would I run back into the mixer, and which would use to run into powered amps that only have one inlet.

3) What settings would I use?

4) If I was running it back into the aux, would it need to be done in stereo

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Welcome.

Even though you are not using the x-over, you will use the x-over.
    As you set up your system, your cabs will be \"custom\" and subs will be \"none\". Amp will be \"custom\".
    Although the DRPA can be used as an effect processor. It's function is a speaker system controller. You should connect it between the mixer and the powered speakers.

After setting up your \"system\" in the wizard, go to the x-over section and set a Hi-pass filter (or Lo-cut if you prefer that term). This will protect your speakers against damge from trying to produce notes beyond it's limit and give your speakers more reserve power. Typically the filter frequency point will be set at the lowest frequency in the (+/- 3db) spec. Sometimes you will have a lowest usable freq or a recommended filter in your manual. This is not a rule set in stone, and often depends on what you use your cabs for. If you'll post back your cabs model I'll may a better judgement.

As far as connections to the back of the DRPA, use the L & R High outputs.
    Don't use The Auto EQ function until you read up on it (search \"auto EQ\"). Also read the FAQ post on the main index of this forum. Although a lot does not apply directly to you because you have powered speakers, but will enlighten you on a few key things.

DRA
  • Options
    jaredkranzjaredkranz Posts: 12
    Hey thanks, that should definitly help me work things out.

Im thinking of buying the JBL Eon15G2 powered speakers, in which case, im pretty sure there is a setting for these under the driverack, in which case, if im not running the driverack as a crossover, do i still set the speaker setting to \"custom\" or can i use the speaker setting in the eon

thanks again
  • Options
    Jared,
    You would select the JBL from the \"list\". The only setting that will be in the DRPA is the attenuator knob for the speaker. It doesn't even show a recommended Hi-pass. If you get the Eons, set one about 45 - 50hz BW18.
    It appears that you can one for $699.
    The Yorkville NX55P get rave reviews (can't say the same for the EON) on Prosoundweb.com. It is the same price (you can get is a lot cheaper on the net if you \"call\" to get a price from some vendors. It is a 12\" but matches the response specs of the EON, but you get 450w for the low end compared to 300w in the EON. The Yorkie is also a smaller package. Worth checking out. My point is, don't buy the JBL just because it's in the \"list\". The \"list\" in this case is no benifit.

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hello Jared,

You can do a custom set-up and it doesn't really matter what speakers you have or buy... The DriveRack doesn't know what's in the signal chain behind it... Once you set-up your DSPs and gain structure your good to go...

Trust Dra...he will take you home!...:)

Kevin
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    LETS HAVE A PARTY!

Ok what this is called is a bandpass filter...the C300 will give you that it's a blank slate bandpass filter then follow Dra's instructions...A bandpass filter has a hipass.. and if you use the hi outs then you won't have a lopass available and it will said to go to \"out\"... however, if you wish to have a lopass on your bandpass filter.. select the lo outs as in a stereo 2way(2 by 4) and forget the hi outs.. does that make sense?you will have only 2 post xover PEQ's though...

:arrow: G
  • Options
    Gadget,
    In what conditions ,when using a full range speaker (powered or not), is a Lo-pass filter needed?

:? Teach, and I shall learn. :?

DRA
  • Options
    Jared, Check your PM. You might be interested.

DRA
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Me thinks some behind the scenes commerce may be affoot! :lol:

Well...A lo pass filter can limit the damage in a highly reflective room for one... the higher the frequency, the more it will be affected/reflected by hard surfaces. A particular horn design... say those multicellular long throw jobbies aren't particular good at ultra HF reproduction...so... why muddle up the usable frequencies with a bunch they cannot do well... If a band has a drummer with a proclivity toward \"flailing\" his cymbals all night a properly tuned and high frequency adequate system might \"RIP THE HEADS OFF ALL COMERS\", or \"poke out someones's eye...! chuckle....A judicious lo pass might be used in lieu of a PEQ shelf filter. If you have a singer with a proclivity for taking the freedom of a wireless mic to it's ultimate advantage and hang from the ceiling right in front of the left HF stack screaming...well you get the idea right?

In monitors it can also limit the potential for high frequency feedback. The more information above the actual frequencies needed to provide what a performer needs is unnecessary, and can lead to feedback...that nastiest of sounds not meant for human ears...(and that gets those temperamental talent types throwing wireless mic's at your head at the first sign of that nefarious sound) For instance, there isn't any usable frequencies in the human voice above 10 k therefore, if the monitors are only reproducing human vocals then 16 k and up could be said to be somewhat well..useless...

Ah there is more but thats the just of it...gotta fly folks...

Gadget
  • Options
    Excellent answer. It all makes sense now. Of coarse I knew the answer already :roll: , I asked for the benefit of others. :wink:

DRA

PS - No commerce per say, just information.
  • Options
    I knew that... :D that you knew that.. that is... :?: