Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

DRPA with JBL SRX725s - Biamp Criss-Cross HELP!

dlongdlong Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in PA General Discussion
My sound system is comprised of an Allen & Heath MixWizard left and right channnel outputs into a DRPA (w/2.00v firmware update). From the DRPA I go to two amps. The highs go to a Crown Xti-4000 and the lows go to a Crown I-Tech 4000. I have the DSPs turned off in both. Speakers are JBL SRX725s. I am trying to set them up Bi-Amp but cannot get both highs and lows to play out of both speakers. In Passive mode (full range with the DRPA) everything works. But in Bi-Amp mode I only get the lows in both SRX725s and the highs only in one speaker. AND it is not the same channel as wired. In other words, the signal being sent from the DRPA is R/L high, and R/L low to each respective amp. Again, the lows play fine. R is to channel 1 and L is to Channel 2. But after running the Wizard in the DRPA, the highs come out criss-crossed...Channel 2 plays out of the Right speaker and Channel 1 highs (Left) is dead. I wired the Nuetrik speaker cables to +2/-2 (highs) and +1/-1 (lows) per JBL. :( Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hello dlong,

Normally the DriveRack considers channel 1 to be left and channel 2 to be right unless you specifiy otherwise... Anyways,...I configured your system using the DriveWare GUI so I hope the following screen shots will help you setup your DRPA...:)

dlong1.gif

dlong2.gif

dlong3.gif

dlong4.gif

dlong5.gif

dlong6.gif

Cheers,

Kevin
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Make sure that you have selected NONE for subs.
    Double check your connection.

mixer 1 - DRPA in L - DRPA Hi L out - Xti in 1 stereo mode - cab in hi (pins #2)
    - DRPA Hi R out - Xti in 2 stereo mode - cab in hi (pins #2)

Mixer 2 - DRPA in R - DRPA Lo L out - IT in 1 stereo mode - cab in lo (pins #1)
    - DRPA Lo R out - IT in 2 stereo mode - cab in lo (pins #1)

To check thoughput switch cables side to side 1) at mixer, 2) at DRPA outputs, 3) at amps (do not flip hi and lo), 4) at cabs. Trade one section at a time only. Report your findings.

DRA
  • Options
    dlongdlong Posts: 3
    :D
    Well after weeks of despair I was in a Guitar Center store when a sales person over heard my frustration as I described my set up and results. I relayed the fact that a JBL tech had instructed me to wire the neutrik speaker wires +2/-2 for the highs and +1/-1 for the lows....so i did. big Mistake. Then the Juan the sales guys leans over and says, you didn't wire the highs to +2/-2 on both ends did you? Duh. Of course I did, that is what JBL told me to do. He goes on to explain the the connection to the XTI-4000 amp should remain +1/-1 and ONLY the speaker connector should be changed to +2/-2. Bingo. DRPA wizard ran great, my 2x4 biamp setup was a breeze and everything works fine.
    Thanks for your feedback and ideas. I learned a lot more about my new system with this issue than if everything had run perfect the first time! 8)
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hello dlong,

Thanks for sharing what you found... What you found makes perfect sense but it's difficult to think of every possibility... Sorry,...but my first impression to your original post was a mis-configuration of the DRPA...This info will probably come in handy down the road if someone else has a similar problem...:D

Cheers,

Kevin