Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Only Low frequencies from monitor speaker

jacknyojacknyo Posts: 4
edited August 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
I am setting up our new driverack and have been unable to find the solution to my problem.

Our main speakers are (2) JBL MRX 515s
our main amp is a QSC PLX 1804
Our Monitor speaker is a JBL JRX 112
Our Monitor Amp is a Crown XLS202

We use a Mackie DFX-6 Mixer

We use a guitar and sequences for our music as we are primarily a singing group. We play primarily to Senior Citizen centers and Senior retirement facilities.

When I went thru the wizard setup I used the MRX 515's as our main speakers and the QSC amp as our main amp. this seemed to work out well. But when I said that our sub speaker and amp were the JRX 112 abd XLS 202 all I could get was the very lowest bast notes from the monitor speaker which I had plugged in to the low left mono output socket.

I looked at all the other factory setups available could find nothing that mentioned a monitor speaker. The closest thing I could find was on page 32 of the manual (5.3 2X4 crossover).

I would appreciate any help that you can give me. I reaalize that through ignorance I am overlooking something fairly simple.

Thank You
Jacknyo

Comments

• Options
    probably the wizard has set up the sub crossover to send only the bass notes out through the sub channels as it is assuming you are using them as a subwoofer. If you go into the 'L' (low) crossover configuration window and set the low pass frequency to out and the high pass frequency to (say) 50Hz or higher (usually don't need low bass out of monitors) then you should get full range mono out of the sub channel.
    You may also need to set the 'M' or 'H' channel (depending on what your mains are plugged into) crossover's high pass frequency to 40-50hz (again, as low as you need or at least the -3db point of your speakers) so you get bass out of your mains as the wizard would set this assuming you were running subs.

Hope that helps,

Duncan
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    jacknyo wrote:
    Our main speakers are (2) JBL MRX 515s
    our main amp is a QSC PLX 1804
    Our Monitor speaker is a JBL JRX 112
    Our Monitor Amp is a Crown XLS202

Hello Jack,

You need to setup a custom 2X3 crossover in your DRPA as shown below:

JACK1.gif

JACK2.gif

The gain attenuator on your main amp (PLX1804) needs to be set at 51 and the gain attenuator of you monitor amp (XLS202) needs to be set at 72... Be sure to read and follow the gain structure proceedure outlined in the FAQ section.

Cheers,

Kevin
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You do have one more option with inherent plusses and minuses. This set-up only applies if you wish extra feedback control for your monitor.

Set up a stereo (2x2) system with stereo GEQ. You have to sacrifice and use a mono house mix, but gain a separate EQ for house and monitor. Down side will be in the filter / x-over section and limiters are linked.

Or simply add a stand alone EQ staight from the board for your monitor.

Choose your poison.

DRA
  • Options
    Thank you for your speedy replies to my post.

I failed to state in my first post that I am using a Driverack PA.

I haven't figured out how to do the things that you sugested in your first replies.

Are your solutions the same for a Driverack PA and if so how do I get to the Low crossover window ? I pushed the xover button and got a window but couldn't decipher what the numbers meant.

I really appreciate your help

Thanks
    jacknyo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hello Jack,

I used the DR260 DriveWare Wizzard to configure your unique application... These settings should be fairly accurate and should work...but you will need to key them manually with the DRPA... I would read the DRPA manual but it's assumed that the user has prior experience with PA systems... Unfortunately I have only worked with the DR260 and not the DRPA so I can't be much assistance in regards to detailed explanations of the screens or how to key this in... Follow Dra's or Gadget's advice because they are much more familiar with the DRPA and it’s limitations than I… I do know that Dra recommends sitting at the kitchen table, poking around, and getting familiar with the menus and screens…:)

Kevin
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    Have you set the unit on the kitchen table and pressed all the buttons and navigated through the menu's? Kevin has pointed out that the visual representation of the 260 software will help you to understand what the modules do and what a change in a parameter will do.

Further, have you watched the \"DRPA training modules\"? or quick start guide?
    http://www.dbxpro.com/Download/pdfs/DR% ... 02-Way.pdf

If you have specific questions we are more than happy to oblige.. but a button by button response is kinda difficult...

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Yes, my response applies to the DRPA. To get to the low x-over (assuming a 1 (or 2) x 3 (or higher) x-over has been set up, press the next (or previous) page button.

DRA
  • Options
    I thank all of you again for all your help.

I finally figured out at least part of what you were telling me and I now get full sound from my monitor.

I still don't know what most of the things at the bottom of the xover window mean but I tried to match them up with the pictures that Kevin sent me.

Somebody mentioned \"Training Modules\". where and How do I access these? Is there any other training info that I can access. I need to get up to speed on a lot of things. A glossary of terms pertaining to what I found in the Driverack manual would be helpful

Again I thank all of you for your help.

jacknyo
  • Options
    jacknyo wrote:
    Somebody mentioned "Training Modules". where and How do I access these?
    Jack,

Go up and to the right...and you'll find the "secret door" when you mouse-over...8)

Kevin