Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

little help

Dj RhythmDj Rhythm Posts: 13
edited October 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
i am very happy to say that i just purchase a driverack pa for my rig and i am anxiously waiting to use it as soon as i receive the new cables and rta mic for it which it will be in sometimes this week. now back to my situation at hand. i have a crown c1000 at the moment i will get a crown xtl2000 very soon. i also have a pair of peaveys 215s. my question is can i make the highs, mids, & lows work with the drpa without any additional amps or speakers and if so how do i go about it. i did read the manual its very informative and i did see the presets for the amps & speakers that i have so i am thinking it could. i just want to ask the pros(current users before i get ready to fire this puppy up. i will appreciate the info and thanks in advance. you can send me a pm if so.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Peavey 215? Which series? Give the complete # please. Your question implies that this cab is tri-ampable, but I assume that you have a sub hidden somewhere that you are not telling us about.

Make sure you list all the speakers and amps that you intend to use and how you intend to use (configure) them.

Thanks,
    DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Peavey 215? Which series? Give the complete # please. Your question implies that this cab is tri-ampable, but I assume that you have a sub hidden somewhere that you are not telling us about.

Make sure you list all the speakers and amps that you intend to use and how you intend to use (configure) them.

Thanks,
    DRA

DRA
    here are the specs:

they are PV215s
    Frequency range (-10 dB, half space):
    40 Hz to 21 kHz
    Frequency response (± 3 dB, half
    space):
    58 Hz to 17 kHz
    Sensitivity (1w/1m):
    98 dB
    Power rating (program):
    700 Watts
    Peak power capacity (peak):
    1400 Watts
    Maximum SPL:
    123.5 dB
    Transducer complement:
    Dual Peavey heavy duty 15"
    premium woofers, RX141.4" titanium
    diaphragm dynamic compression
    driver on a 60˚ x 40˚ coverage
    constant directivity horn
    Driver protection:
    Positive temperature coefficient
    resistor
    Nominal coverage pattern:
    60˚ x 40˚
    Electro-acoustic crossover frequency:
    2.6 kHz
    Nominal impedance:
    4 Ohms
    Input connections:
    Two 1/4" phone jacks in parallel
    Enclosure materials & finish:
    Trapezoidal, black carpet-covered
    enclosure with dado-joined 1/2"
    MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
    and a full-length, black powdercoated
    steel grille
    Dimensions (H x W x D):
    Front:
    48.25" x 18.38" x 14.25"
    122.6 cm x 46.7 cm x 36.2 cm
    Rear:
    48.25" x 11.75" x 14.25"
    122.6 cm x 29.8 cm x 36.2 cm
    Weight:
    79 lbs. (35.9 kg)
    Mounting or suspension:
    Die-cast aluminum 1-3/8" polemount
    cup for stand mounting

and like i said they are listed in the presets of the drpa and so is my amp i do have a crown c1000 and i will be purchasing an xtl2000
  • Options
    Your statement of \"high, mids, and lows\" really confused me. Those cabs are rull range only. Set a hi=pass filter to about 50hz, BW 18.

Do a gain structure and limiter setting as detailed in the FAQ > Welcome post.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Your statement of "high, mids, and lows" really confused me. Those cabs are rull range only. Set a hi=pass filter to about 50hz, BW 18.

Do a gain structure and limiter setting as detailed in the FAQ > Welcome post.

DRA

i'm sorry about the confusion. what i really want to know is how to set them up. as far as the high mid lows thats just the plug ins that i see on the drive rack. i've read about the set-ups and saw the aplications but none looked like mine. will mine work without any additional speakers or amps. and how do i set them up.

buy the way what is bw18?
  • Options
    OK, Now I get you.

Press the wizard button.
    Select stereo linked GEQ.
    Select your speakers from the list.
    Select your amp from the list.
    Load the congig by pressing the scroll knob. It will say 2 x 2 .
    That means two (stereo) inputs and two (stereo) ouputs.

Press x-over and set the Hi-pass (lo-cut) filter to 50hz (45 at the lowest).
    Select the filter type (LR , BW, or BS). BW (Butterworth) is recommended here.
    Each type will also have slope numbers (6, 12, 18, 24). 18 is recommended here.
    Simply scroll through and select BW 18.

You should now save your set-up. Name it and then press save (3 presses required).

You will connect to the Hi outputs.

DRA

PS - Until you have read up on the pit falls of the auto-EQ, don't use it. Unless you use it correctly your sound will NOT be good.
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    OK, Now I get you.

Press the wizard button.

You should now save your set-up. Name it and then press save (3 presses required).

DRA

PS - Until you have read up on the pit falls of the auto-EQ, don't use it. Unless you use it correctly your sound will NOT be good.

man your awesome i like it how you put it together i actualy understood that until you got to the ps. what do you mean by pit falls of the auto eq?
    does this mean i would have to eq manually? is this information on the users manual? please tell me more. ireally apreciate your help DRA.
  • Options
    1st Go to the FAQ > Auto-EQ (from the main index). Gadget (the smartest guy here) just posted an great info post about this.

He did not include, but has stated in the past that indoor auto-EQ is useful for the frequencies between about 160 and 700 (that ain't a lot). The rest by ear. The post will explain why that is.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    In case your wondering how we arrived at these numbers...read this thread that I'm trying to get incorporated into the FAQ's as well as the \"new indoor auto Eq method:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=41581
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=41419

Mike Kovach and I Wrote the paper a couple years ago. As Dra said read the FAQ and see if some of what your experiencing isn't covered there. make sure you read ALL the FAQ's as there is a LOT of help there...

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    In case your wondering how we arrived at these numbers...read this thread that I'm trying to get incorporated into the FAQ's as well as the "new indoor auto Eq method:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=41581
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=41419

Mike Kovach and I Wrote the paper a couple years ago. As Dra said read the FAQ and see if some of what your experiencing isn't covered there. make sure you read ALL the FAQ's as there is a LOT of help there...

Gadget

ok gadget i will do that. i just got my cabling and the rta mic today so now i will hook it up and see where we go from here. if by any chance i should run into trouble or a question can i pm you or dra?
  • Options
    But of course! My email AND phone number are floating around here somewhere :shock:

Gary
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    But of course! My email AND phone number are floating around here somewhere :shock:

Gary

gadget in the faq area does evrything you wrote as far as auto eq and others apply to mobile djs as well?

on initial start up i did the preset set-up, i found my speakers pv215s, i found my amp ce1000 (Until I get new One In two Weeks). the dbx asked dual mono or dual stero, i choose dual stero, the dbx asked for subs i and no, the dbx asked me about the voltage sensitivity of my amp i verified and confirmed, the dbx told me to set the level w/data well to match amp(I set to 50%). when i went to save my program the dbx wanted to save it to factory is what it looked like to me. how do you rename and save to user presets? now i did do that x-over but am a little unsure. do i just press x-over once or what i believe i did it wrong i will double check and get back with you.
  • Options
    Reproduction of music (whether recorded or live), should sound like it is supposed too. So yes to the info in the FAQ's.

Pick a preset (program #) THEN go into the wixard. When done, name it (press Store and use the data wheel) and save it (press Store 2x)). Just press the buttons that it tells you to.

It sounds as though you abandoned the gain structure set-up for the wizard recommendation. IF you go this route (and I'm not recommending that you do), you should set the amps knobs to the possition indicated on the DRPA screen.

Also, you will find for your application that setting the EQ to Stereo - Linked will be far easier to deal with than Dual Stereo.

DRA
  • Options
    To further clarify, you are storing the preset to a USER version of the factory presets.. which are ALWAYS restorable to factory default...note A hard reset will erase any and all user modified programs. When you go to store the preset one of the questions you will be asked is where you want to store the preset... pick a location thats easy to re-find, and one that doesn't overwrite a preset you might need on the fly...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    Reproduction of music (whether recorded or live), should sound like it is supposed too. So yes to the info in the FAQ's.

Pick a preset (program #) THEN go into the wixard. When done, name it (press Store and use the data wheel) and save it (press Store 2x)). Just press the buttons that it tells you to.

It sounds as though you abandoned the gain structure set-up for the wizard recommendation. IF you go this route (and I'm not recommending that you do), you should set the amps knobs to the possition indicated on the DRPA screen.

Also, you will find for your application that setting the EQ to Stereo - Linked will be far easier to deal with than Dual Stereo.

DRA

no dra as a matter of fact i am just starting to get the gain structure together as i am emailing you.
    as far as dual or link the drpa only offered me dual mono or stereo link thats it unless i missed something.
    on the set up wizard everything is as asked for except that when i did the x-over you had a choice of H M or L and H was highlighted. i did bring it to 50 hz and BW 18 now there is still the 0.0db in that same menu. do i do anything with it? i get back to you guys
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    OK, Now I get you.

Press the wizard button.

DRA

ok dra i've somewhat done the gain structure and the limiters according to the instructions. what next or what else can i do to get the best results? what do i do with the geq or the peq. i also do karaoke what can i do to make it awesome. how do i set the limiters and compressors for the mics?
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say you just don't seem to be getting the jist of what we are trying to tell you... I have included yet a couple more posts in the FAQ section. Perhaps if you re-read them, and access those links I provided you will have a better understanding of what we are teaching here. You CANNOT have both Compression AND limiting! If your system is set up properly you will have great live, recorded and Karaoke sound no matter what the venue.

As far as I can tell you are only using Peavey 215's.. no subs. To this end I must say you will never get awesome sound...with those speakers. Good sound, yes, if you really know your stuff... But with 1\" exit horns and Black widow woofers you will never get that exceptional low end, and your top end will be only as good as your tuning skills.

Dra has tried to understand your requests but you haven't given him the info he needs to help you either... We expect a certain commitment here, you need to do your homework. We have provided the information, arranged it so that it's accessible, and succinct. You must however do the work to actually read and comprehend the information so you can understand the information/settings that we are providing. Otherwise we are just spinning our wheels here. This is a product with a steep learning curve, and a necessary commitment to the technology, and learning it's parameters in order to be able to understand what we are specifying and what to do with the information. To date you have not been able to elicit what you need to know, or unable to implement the settings we have provided.

Please go back and read the FAQ's and the links provided and come back with cogent questions with specific information about your system and what you are attempting to accomplish, or where you are having problems...

Respectfully
    Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    I'm sorry to say you just don't seem to be getting the jist of what we are trying to tell you... I have included yet a couple more posts in the FAQ section. Perhaps if you re-read them, and access those links I provided you will have a better understanding of what we are teaching here. You CANNOT have both Compression AND limiting! If your system is set up properly you will have great live, recorded and Karaoke sound no matter what the venue.

As far as I can tell you are only using Peavey 215's.. no subs. To this end I must say you will never get awesome sound...with those speakers. Good sound, yes, if you really know your stuff... But with 1" exit horns and Black widow woofers you will never get that exceptional low end, and your top end will be only as good as your tuning skills.

Dra has tried to understand your requests but you haven't given him the info he needs to help you either... We expect a certain commitment here, you need to do your homework. We have provided the information, arranged it so that it's accessible, and succinct. You must however do the work to actually read and comprehend the information so you can understand the information/settings that we are providing. Otherwise we are just spinning our wheels here. This is a product with a steep learning curve, and a necessary commitment to the technology, and learning it's parameters in order to be able to understand what we are specifying and what to do with the information. To date you have not been able to elicit what you need to know, or unable to implement the settings we have provided.

Please go back and read the FAQ's and the links provided and come back with cogent questions with specific information about your system and what you are attempting to accomplish, or where you are having problems...

Respectfully
    Gadget

well than i guess i did set it up right because i have raised the volume levels on my amps where they have not gone before. it it sounds pretty dam good compared to without the drive rack. all i had was a cheesy mixer a want to be sound board, my ce1000 and my peavys. i am waiting for my xti2000 to arrive and beleive you me it will sound even louder because my ce1000 is only 400watts per ch and after the driverack settings and the gain structure it was kicking with no clipping. i do appreciate everything that you and dra have done to help me fully understand the drpa. i am pretty sure that when i upgrade my speakers and add a sub i will the other available channels. your teachings and literature were not in vain. audio & video is my hobby. i will keep working and tweaking and perfecting my abilitys so you guys were not spinning your wheels. i thank yall for your patience. overall the setting up the drpa prove to be a little challenging and very interesting. don't loose hope i can do this!
  • Options
    One more thing...
    You asked about setting the compressors for the mics. Well, you've fallen into a trap. Many believe that Driveracks will replace \"a rack full of gear\" that are intended for individual channel use, such as compressors. The Driveracks do replace a rack full of gear that are whole system. If you set the compressor to compress the vocal mic, when the mic needs compression everything else will compress with it and likely everything else will cause the compressor to kick in first, then also pull down the mic.
    Whole system compression for what you do is not recommended. An exception for use would be if you were running sound for a lecturer that tended to scream on occasion.
    For the PEQ's search Auto EQ and PEQ for some tips on \"flattening\" your speakers outdoors. These tips may be in the top section somewhere. Read all of the posts there.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    One more thing...
    You asked about setting the compressors for the mics. Well, you've fallen into a trap. Many believe that Driveracks will replace "a rack full of gear" that are intended for individual channel use, such as compressors. The Driveracks do replace a rack full of gear that are whole system. If you set the compressor to compress the vocal mic, when the mic needs compression everything else will compress with it and likely everything else will cause the compressor to kick in first, then also pull down the mic.
    Whole system compression for what you do is not recommended. An exception for use would be if you were running sound for a lecturer that tended to scream on occasion.
    For the PEQ's search Auto EQ and PEQ for some tips on "flattening" your speakers outdoors. These tips may be in the top section somewhere. Read all of the posts there.

hey dra

one more quick question. with everything that you guys taught me, am i allowed to set up the auto feedback for my karaoke side of things? i am printing and reading all your posts and reading it again and again and applying the techniques and practicing hands on. i'm sorry if i upset you guys. really i am not a professional sound guy.

DRA
  • Options
    I hope I (we) don't seem upset.
    am i allowed to set up the auto feedback for my karaoke side of things?
    Allowed? Sure, that is what it's for.

Start with the Music-Hi (very narrow notch) and set 6-8 fixed. Then change the lives to a wider notch (they grab faster) with a short release time. Play around with different scenarios and see what works for you. Lots of posts as well. Search AFS or feedback.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    I hope I (we) don't seem upset.
    am i allowed to set up the auto feedback for my karaoke side of things?
    Allowed? Sure, that is what it's for.

Start with the Music-Hi (very narrow notch) and set 6-8 fixed. Then change the lives to a wider notch (they grab faster) with a short release time. Play around with different scenarios and see what works for you. Lots of posts as well. Search AFS or feedback.

DRA

ok i will do that thanks