Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Configuration Wizard
Options

Filter selection

Proud dadProud dad Posts: 22
I set up through the wizard and im not using The sub synthesizer. I have a lector gig coming up and would like to change the filter to Feed back limiter. Do I have to run wizard again or can I change it without loosen all my parametric EQ settings and every thing else. I never use the sub syn and i all ready have 6 different venues saved and dont want to lose the settings, just change the fillter.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    If you mean changing the modules where you select compressor, AFS, notch filter, etc, then yes. Are you using the GUI? If yes, then simply click the config button, then click on the insert module that you want to change.

2 things to consider for a lector.
    1) Notch filter (only if needed)- after ringing the system, you can duplicate the more narrow AFS pulled out frequencies and duplicate them in the Notch filter. Clear the AFS and re-ring (squeal).
    2) AGC (auto gain control) - Could be useful in a speaking only environment to raise or lower volume if needed if you walked away. I would not go with it on the fly though. Play with it while setting up to see if there are problems with feedback or noise.

DRA

PS - the above does not apply if you meant Hannibal Lector. 8)
  • Options
    Sweet :D:D It didn’t make sense not to be able to change them, I was not clicking on reconfig first. Thanks for the help. I was going to ask you about the auto gain. I definitely am going to use the AFS. Their will be 1 cordless mic in the mix and who knows were he will walk to. They don’t always listen. He will only go up to my dual towers one time. i guaranty :o:lol:
    I am only using the 260 on FOH Would it be okay to run The AFS on live and auto? I dont have much experience with a AFS. I have and still do use a seperate EQ for the monitors.
  • Options
    Another thought. IF... you would like to try to use AFS, Notch AND AGC AND your cabs are full range, then you can select AFS and Notch in the Pre-x-over modules and change the Limiter to AGC in the post-module.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing, how it went, and what you learned.

DRA[/u]
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Caution... the AFS will hunt for a signal if the lecturer walks away...not a good deal feedback wise. As for the Live and Auto thing, give it a try.. see if it works. It doesn't hurt to experiment..
    gadget
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The AFS worked good and I messed around a little with the notch. The pasture was using a wireless country man. The room was 200ft wide and 50 ft dpth. Stage was centered on the back wall width wise and chairs half mooned. Terrible set up for that room. After shooting the room I did manage to get the feed back under control with the AFS. I walked all over the room in good shape. I could not use the Auto Gain. Every time I turned it on it would eventually Feed back. I couldn’t risk it and was running out of time to play with it before curtain. The speech went well I could only turn up the wireless to a certain point before I could tell I was about to get in trouble. The fixed mic,s were great all evening not a hint of problems. I used a vocal condenser mic for the little kids talking and it was perfect. I should of put a condenser on the podium for the people that didn’t seem to know the had to actually talk in the mic. I think I white noised the room with the AFS on. That was probably wrong to do.
  • Options
    Thanks for reporting back. I believe there would have been a good use for the ACG, but without a lot of play time it really would cause problems.

DRA
  • Options
    Was that a countryman headset? I have had great results with that mic. Tons of gain before feedback...On the other hand if the room is excited, the system is not flat or both, feedback will occur. I have set up church systems with that mic on Shure, Audio Technica and Senheiser platforms and been able to blow your eardrums out while speaking anywhere in the room.. without feedback... Lav's on the other hand..Yuch! Terrible. I can't understand why you would want to use the AGC? EVERY time the person goes quite... the AGC will start HUNTING for a signal! feedback is almost certainly guaranteed at some point. For pastors that pontificate and SPEAK for effect I generally like to use a limiter to prevent too much dynamic overcast but still let the message be understood... Look any system will feed back at some volume.. usually you can tune a system for that eventuality too but the system becomes less and less linear the closer you get to it's max SPL...Sounds like the system isn't tuned for the volume you are running...

Gadget
  • Options
    AGC - Obviously has to be set to a limited range and must have a minimal max gain allowance so that it doesn't hunt as Gadget says. I would think no more than 3db gain to gather in the weak projectors and the inexperienced mic handlers (SM58 at the belly button). Limiting the target and the window size so that it will also reduce if the signal gets too hot, should limit the feedback as well. I am working on theory, since I only have played with it a bit on the kitchen table using a mic and headphones. I have to believe that it has a purpose and I am determined to prove to the world that it has a place in the heart of mankind. It might even control the weather. :wink::wink:

DRA
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Now THATS funny!
    :!:
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gadget wrote:
    you can tune a system for that eventuality too but the system becomes less and less linear the closer you get to it's max SPL...Sounds like the system isn't tuned for the volume you are running...

Gadget
    So the flatter you get the sytem the louder it can get. When i shot the room the EQ was all over the place. none off the venues i have incuonterd looked like that, then again the mic placement may have been a bad choice. I was 20 -30 feet from the left side. My speaker placement may have been a bad choice for that room.175 ft spead angled to meet at opisite wall in the midle at 50 ft. I not sure what i did wrong this time. Never had that much trouble be fore. Oh i almost forgot did i mention the back (behind the stage )wall was glass windows for 175' in legth. Any good sites to explain System volume and SPL. We arnt talking Gain struct. correct.
    My baseline set was done in an open feild and then i match the PEQ till there was little adjustments on the auto EQ after i shot the speakers. is it possible to get it flat. is that the goal to run from baseline setting.
    This is the first time i did not pink noise at 20db is that what you mean buy set to the volume i was runnig at.
  • Options
    You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard.. you can't Auto EQ a room! PERIOD! You obviously have a very reverberant space there, and ANY and ALL excess energy will excite the room and cause problems...Run with your flat response, I suspect, though without seeing the room or using any prediction software, that you would have been farther ahead by using a center cluster, and adding wing fills if necessary. Where your speakers are overlapping you are getting comb filtering, which lessens the clarity of vocals. As the system gets louder, the speakers get less linear, and need to be EQ'ed differently... for that volume. Thats why you Auto EQ away from all reflective surfaces (or in a pinch, VERY close(3-5 feet away), on axis to minimize anything but the direct field of the speakers. BTW its PINK noise you SHOULD be using.. if your using White noise it ISN\"T the same by ANY means!!!!!
    Gadget