Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Help and advice Please!

2buckdrunk2buckdrunk Posts: 3
edited October 2007 in PA General Discussion
I am looking at purchasing a DBX Driverack PA for use in my band. The band is a 5 piece Rock band playing relatively small venues (100-400 people). Our current equipment is as follows:

Allen & Heath 16:2 Mixing Board
2 - Carvin DCM2000 Amps
4 - Carvin 1502 Speakers
2 - Peavey 18\" Lowrider Subs in Custom Cabinets

We are using a Lexicon MPX100 for vocal effects and we are running a Roland TD20 electronic drum set.

We have been running a cheap Behringer crossover that just shot craps.

We have been running the top cabinets stereo off one of the DCM 2000s. And the subs stereo off of the other DCM.
We had been running a third DCM and bi-amping the top cabinets, but we are down one DCM amp right now.

How will the Driverack help us and what would be the best way to run this system if we do get the Driverack.

As you can probably tell by my post so far I am a total newb when it comes to live sound. I have always been in bands where there was a sound man and our current situation has us running our own sound. Any direction or help that someone can give is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ron

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You will be very happy with the DRPA. However, you should heavily consider the 260. It is by far superior to the DRPA. And if you have a laptop available, it is soooo much easier to work with because of point and click with a mouse. Look at you finances and if you can swing $700, 1 or 2 gigs will easily pay the difference.
    Sales pitch over.

Go to the \"READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING\" section and read ALL the info there and the links that are referenced. Then you can come back with specific questions or comments.

You won't go wrong either way.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I had a couple DCM 2000's for an eval period and sent them back...I have used the Behringer crossovers and they are CRAP. The driverack will make a NIGHT and DAY difference for you. The crossover would give you ACCURATE crossover points you can actually predict. Has far superior crossover topologies. You will be able to select which crossover type you use, what slope, and set the delay for each system component for alignment. MAKE NO MISTAKE... this is NOT a push a button and all will happen automatically. You will need to learn and understand this piece, what it does, and why. You will need to be able to understand how to align and tune your system. This is not intuitive, you will need to study what is written, understand the concepts, and implement them using the tools the Driverack provides. It will allow you to be a better engineer, and your system sound immeasurably better.

You won't be disappointed if you get the 260, you will however find that the DRPA was only a stepping off point to the 260 as we did. I believe you can find the best price on the Driverack @ NSL (northern sound and light) a couple hundred more than the DRPA but IMMEASURABLY better.

BE well
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thank you for the fast replies.

I will definetly do more research on how to properly use the unit, as I am sure that I will need much direction.

I am a little concerned about the unit being very complicated to use for someone with very limited sound production work.

I guess I was under the impression that the RTA mic would set everything for us to a pretty close level and we could go in and tweak it to get the optimum sound, but it sounds like it will be a little more intensive that that.
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Ron,

DR260
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Good to hear from ya, K :D
    To bring into focus the question that you want to ask, and Gadget hinted at is...
    The RTA mic using the AUTO-EQ function to \"pink-n-play\" is a recipe for dissaster. It will cripple your ability to have good sound. It will however enable you to tune your system outdoors to make it as flat as possible, especially if you end up bi-amping your top cabs. Then, when you play indoors... hang on.

DRA

PS- :wink: 260 :wink:
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    We have been very careful to provide step by step direction so you won't get lost, we have helped thousands of folks just like you get their systems optimized, but we have also made it plain that we CAN'T do it for you. If you intend to bi-amp the tops you will be setting yourself up for a steep learning curve, but I have provided all you need to do the job. Is it rocket science? NO, is it as simple as point and shoot..Again NO. Is it do-able? yes. If you look at the posts you will see a pattern. Most of what we suggest works well for many systems..the variables are power, and speaker size.. oh and power...Did I mention POWER? that is the key to everything... :lol:

If you want to really get your system up and running and get the system sounding up to it's potential you need to get some sort of digital system processor.. for the money the Driverack has more bang for the buck...
    Gadget