Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

farewell dbx

modernsoundmodernsound Posts: 13
edited October 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
I am a DJ. I owned a Dynacord D-lite 2000 passive system two tops D12 and One 115 sub. I used to match them with a dbx Pa system. I have had a few embarrassing moments due to the lack of compatability issues between the dynacord system and the dbx Pa. I have recently purchased a Dynacord DSP 244. I have only been having positive experiences with it. My system has the thump, the long distance coverage, and clarity I was never able to obtain with the dbx. I wished that I have known that earlier. I Initially ended up buying the dbx PA system by the advise of another fellow DJ who uses EAw speakers. He had promised me that my Dynacord speakers would have worked eventhough the PA does not have the Ffactory presets. He was wrong. I have struggled for a wile to fine tune my system with this signal processor. This is the end of the raod for me with dbx cha cha

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    edited October 2007
    Wow...

Frankly, I am tempted to delete this post and you with it...I will take suggestions from the good folks that lurk here and may, depending on their comments still do so..This kind of rhetoric serves no constructive purpose but in the interest of allowing both sides of a story to be aired I will leave this up for a time.

Eight total previous posts where you quite obviously didn't seem to get what we were trying to tell you.. you didn't seem to have read the material provided.. this is one of the statements that truly showed that you in fact had NOT read the literature...
    \"ON A SIDE NOTE, I HAVE NOTICED THAT IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CORDLESS MIC IT WORKS ALOT BETTER THAN THE DBX MICROPHONE.\"

All CAPS BTW s considered yelling.

Now you get a processor that is well over $1000 and try and compare an entry level, sub $500 DSP to it? one that has your speakers in it? I suggest that it was operator error. Sorry but we tried to help you and you wanted it all done FOR you! If I was to spend the time to give each and every person who came here button by button presses for each speaker and component I'd never get ANYTHING done!

\"O.K, Gadget give me a step by step rundown on how to start setting the crossover in the crossover screen in the driverack according to my speakers specs as far as my ...hz, BW...and Db for HML. I do see the graph for my speakers specs from the dynacord website, but pardon me for my lack of knowledge on knowing how to interpret those specs to set my crossover settings. \"

Did you ever contact Dynacord for the settings for your speakers? If so you didn't provide them for us...Do you think that it's easy to know how every speaker out there is tuned and will react? How are we supposed to gage your ability to follow direction, and understand our direction? Seems that you once again wanted everyone to do your work for you. So good day to you sir. We will continue to help those who want to help themselves and good luck to you.

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Gadget, I too went back and read all Modern's posts and you are correct. Not much (none) follow-thru on his part. Never came back with , \"That didn't work. I also tried this...\"

Cha-Cha (slide?)

DRA
  • Options
    I am a DJ. I owned a Dynacord D-lite 2000 passive system two tops D12 and One 115 sub. I used to match them with a dbx Pa system. I have had a few embarrassing moments due to the lack of compatability issues between the dynacord system and the dbx Pa. I have recently purchased a Dynacord DSP 244. I have only been having positive experiences with it. My system has the thump, the long distance coverage, and clarity I was never able to obtain with the dbx. I wished that I have known that earlier. I Initially ended up buying the dbx PA system by the advise of another fellow DJ who uses EAw speakers. He had promised me that my Dynacord speakers would have worked eventhough the PA does not have the Ffactory presets. He was wrong. I have struggled for a wile to fine tune my system with this signal processor. This is the end of the raod for me with dbx cha cha

hey modern these fellas have a point i was in a way in your shoes but i did not give up. question after question to the point to a possible fustration from dra & gadget who knows. i am not a bonified sound guy, i know how to mix,blend,slam cut, scratch whatever, the dpa was a bit of a challenge i read and read and read til i started to understand it. you definately have to play with it even if you mess up you can always do a hard reset and try, try again thats what i do. dra and gadget know there !@#$ very well. read and read and you will get it like i did. it seems all technical at first but little do you know its not as complex. their faqs are there for our use. i have printed them all and still to this day i read them. its all in the start of this forum give it a shot bra!
  • Options
    Thanks Dra and Rhythm,

I'm afraid this will all fall on def (get it) ears...He is gone because we wouldn't give him button by button instructions...Tough to tell if he ever would have understood... some never will. I just think that blaming the DRPA for ones own shortcomings is ridiculous. Is the DRPA the do all end all of post processing? Absolutely not! The 260 and 480 arent either.. the 4800 comes closer, and there are processors out there that sound amazing, and have more bells and whistles... but here were talking BANG FOR THE BUCK. That 2 in 4 out (yup only 4 outs to Driveracks 6) processor is $1244... I have seen the DRPA for $350...we are not talking apples and apples here...

Remember also when you grouse about the DRPA that it's a nearly 10 year old technology now!

Be well
    Gadget
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Farewell modernsound...:roll:
  • Options
    GadgitGadgit Posts: 24
    Adios amigos...8)
  • Options
    modern,

Hugs & kisses to ya...:wink:
  • Options
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :!:
  • Options
    I must comment as one of the newer posters on this site,and far from a sound expert. I will admit early on I was very frustrated trying to understand the DRPA, and in the beginning wish maybe you had just given every user their particular settings and so forth. You don't have to read many posts here to figure out what you should educate yourself on first. You may have to read them more then once and put a little effort in, but there is a wealth of information here. For me I read everything I could and actually waited to post until it started to make some sense.

I will say now I am very grateful that Gadget, Dra, Kippen and several others out there first point you to the basic and ask you to read them and and then come back with more questions if you don't understand something. I have still have a long way to go, but I have learned a ton in a realtive short period of time here. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't come back and read every post here in the DBX User group in at least the General, 260 & DRPA forums. And every day I learn a liitle more and the light bulb get brighter and brighter.

My sound system for my band is much improved and I actually understand what I did and why I did it, what a concept !!!

The proof was during my last band practice on Friday everyone in the band was like what ever you did the sound system, keep doing it, it is so much better and clearer and vocals sound great, feedback is gone. I have all of you to thank for that!!

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance, I think says it all !!!
  • Options
    I, like most I think, was an uninformed user for quite a while. I was not super happy with what I thought would be the greatest piece of gear I could ever buy. Then I found the old forum, where guys like gadget had been answering questions for a long time. I read and read, then finally started asking relative questions about my situations. I got some really good answers (from Gadget mostly, as he was pretty much one of the last of the old guard still hanging around). He has been carrying the major load on the forums for a while now. I have tried to return the favor to those that follow. I've seen Gadget lose his cool a time or two with people not willing to even attempt to look for an answer. I admit it is tough sometimes to hold back the frustration of answering the exact same question over and over again. Most often posters get the answer they want and are never heard from again. Usually never any report back on success or failure. Then along comes a guy like Kevin. New to the forum and eager to learn. He asked questions that were probing and well thought out. His initial post turned into a novel that had dozens of people chiming in to assist, Gadget, myself, Wolfgong (branched off into his on thread) and many others. The flow of information was incredible. So for those that may read this, WELCOME, we enjoy sharing what others have shared with us, but remember \"Teachers can only help those that want to learn, and that have done their homework.\" And... we can tell.

Boy, do I feel better! :D
    DRA
  • Options
    Hi All,

I have to add my two cents here. Personally, I have been hanging here since July 2004 (in the archives.) At that time, I had just purchased a new system. Having been a DJ in FL for 5-6 years in the late '80s/early '90s, I started doing a few gigs here and there. It got to be a PITA to rent/borrow equipment that I hadn't sold before I left sunny FL. So, I bit the bullet and purchased the equipment listed below over a one year span.

Claiming to have some small inkling of what I was doing, I came here for help. I never claim to be a sound engineer, but I do have a little knowledge of audio from retail audio sales and hanging around real pro musicians and sound guys. Upon my arrival here, the standard issue \"newbie\" questions came spewing forth. Thru the question and answer period with the likes of Gadget, Tom, Dra, and others, I started to learn. Not that they had it easy...some of my scenarios and inquiries are a little out there. ;)

During this learning phase, I spent countless, and I mean C-O-U-N-T-L-E-S-S hours, in learning/trial-and-error mode. My neighbors still haven't forgiven me. To this day, I am still tweaking things. The sound is getting better with every session. You just can't twist a few knobs and tap a few buttons to have that sweet, properly setup audio come flowing out of a system. It changes by location. It changes by program material. It changes by system configuration. It just changes.

I totally agree with everyone that a step-by-step, button-by-button complete setup for every system presented here is impossible. The variables are infinite and cannot be zeroed-in in a few mins via a forum. I am sure that Gadget and the others could whip out a pretty dialed-in setup if they had an hour on-site with each system.

The audio products today are so much improved over the past, but it takes 100% buy-in from the end-user and willingness to spend the time to explore the abilities and limitations of their gear. Those that are lucky to have their gear listed in the DriveRack presets have a small advantage to get to a \"starting-point.\" See how I used the term, \"starting-point?\" That's simply what it is. Really not much more work to do a custom setup, other than having to research the specs of your equipment.

I don't envy the knowledgeable folks here that do their best to help others get the most from their systems. Remember folks, they all have full-time jobs doing this or other things for a living, and donate their time to help out when they can. I wouldn't trade one post here for anything. There is knowledge to be gained from every post, even if it has nothing to do with an issue you are having or your system in particular.

I totally appreciate the efforts of all here and try to give back if and when I can.

DRPA - $499
    Inexperience/unwillingness to listen/learn: $Thousands

dbx® User's Group (Gadget/Tom/Dra) - Priceless

Thanks
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks Coop! good to see some of the old guard still hangin...You have answered a fair number of questions in the past too as I recall...

Be well old friend!
    Gadget
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    nimber?...:lol:

Sorry G,...couldn't let that one go by...LOL

Anyways,...I wished I had the time to write my thoughts and to give my testimony as others have done here, but the following novel that Dra made reference too pretty well sums it up…

http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=611

I will always be grateful for the invaluable time and knowledge that you guys have shared with me!...:D

Kevin
  • Options
    Nimber - Noun; A quantity as it relates to agility; as in... if Jack jumps over a candlestick 3 times, then the number of nimble jumps would be referred to a \"nimber\" to avoid the use of the adjective to describe the condition of the 3 jumps.

Gadget's reference to \"nimber\" is obviously to describe the mental agility (or \"nibleness\") of the numerous replies found on the forum.

8) 8) 8)

DRA
  • Options
    SWEET! Dra to the rescue! :oops: