Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Help for a limping along newbie

ackackackack Posts: 4
edited October 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
Greetings all.

I am the bassist/singer/marketing guy/promoter/web master/and defacto sound guy for a gigging cover band. Jack of all trades... master of none. (That's your warning. Unless you're patient... you can stop reading now!)

My dilemma is this: I'm not able to devote a ton of time to reading up and getting real familiar with the DriveRack PA, but we have a lot of shows in the next few weeks and need to evaluate the DRPA to be sure it is what we want to keep. I'm pretty sure it is.

We don't have much of a PA, and use a sound guy with gear for larger venues. The DRPA is to help us use our \"practice\" gear in smaller bars/rooms.

I thought I'd save some time and ask the experts for recommendations/suggestions.

Feel free to point me in the right direction if there are threads or good docs existing that answer my newbie questions.

The \"gear\": (VERY SIMPLE... we know) The thought is to add pieces and grow around the DRPA.

Mackie 808S A combo Mixer/Amp. (twin 600 watt amps)
A pair of EV Eliminators for the mains
A pair of Yamaha SM12v monitors
No subwoofer.

We typically run guitars direct into the mixer using Line6 FloorPODs. I typically try to keep the bass out of the mix. But am open to adding it in.

We run in mono.

We have the RTA mic. But I totally don't understand EQ. I also don't understand how to modify \"custom\" settings for the amp. I also don't see how to add a second set up speakers as in our monitor pair. Seems I can mostly address mains and subs.

So questions.
Since I don't get EQ at all

1. Assuming my input is mono, I assume I want the GEQ to be dual mono. Any reason I'd ever want stero EQ when running mono input?

2. When I auto-EQ, I don't understand responses A-D. I don't understand what I want to go with. And then even after I pick one...say if I auto EQ to response A, and then store. Can I also store other responses, like B, C, & D, and then load them on the fly without having to re-auto EQ and generate pink noise etc.?

3. Is there a link, site, FAQ, that explains EQ for dummies? What frequencies respond to what etc. Clearly I can't tweak when I don't understand the frequencies.

4. If I run bass into the mix as well, without a sub of course, assuming I have the Eliminator x-over loaded, anything too low for the mains will not process right?

5. Can I go back and adjust my amp when I select/store \"custom\" as an amp? Want to ensure it is not sending more than the amp can handle etc.

Just from my experimenting in practice... we're a lot better off with our setup. Just want to be sure we are good as we gig out in the world.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi
    You need to determine if the Mackie will allow you to \"Insert\" the DRPA into the mix between the preamp section and the Power amps. For whatever reason the \"good folks\" chuckle, at Mackie didn't include the interruption of the signal chain when the \"inserts\" were utilized. This means that when you plugged something into the \"pre amp outs\" it does NOT interrupt the signal to the amps? The idea here is to send the signal out from the preamp section of the 808 to the DRPA for processing and then back into the power amp... the older Mackies didn't do this? WTF? You will want to use a bandpass filter since you don't have a subwoofer and a crossover ISN'T necessary. You need to see if this is even possible and if not you need to have the 808 modified to accommodate this necessity. We will go further once you have verified that the unit can do what we need it to do.

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Pg 11 of the manual shows adding an extenal crossover from line out and back in to power amp in. So the DRPA is usable. The additional monitor control is another issue. Go to the \"READ ME FIRST...\" section and read EVERYTHING there. Some details will not apply but the information is still good to have for the future.

DRA
  • Options
    We broached this problem before and I did just as you did Dra, but they normalled the send and receive for some unknown reason and when you insert something it doesn't break the connection... The other guy had to open the unit up and cut the traces that jumpered the in and outs... Whether or not his unit is like this remains to be seen. If it does you could send out but never have total control of the send as some of the signal would simply bypass the send recieve.. doesn't make any sense to me... but they did it none the less.
    Gadget
  • Options
    We called Mackie and DBX prior to picking up the DRPA. Both confirmed we we were (are) good. Mackie did have us confirm by serial number so I'm pretty sure we're good in terms of signal flow.

So the X-Over does nothing in terms of limiting the frequencies that route? Don't want to risk damaging the EVs.

For larger gigs like we have in December, we have all JBL speakers including a pair of active sub-woofers. So I'll have a different program stored for that set up.

I'll go back over the read first. And usually I devour new information and technology.. but sound... specifically EQ is greek so far.

I TRULY appreciate all of your assistance, advise, and experience.
  • Options
    When there is no crossover needed, as in your EV tops setup, you set a bandpass filter. You can select the slope, and cutoff frequency you want. The 3db down point is a good place to start, even higher if you have limited power as in yous current setup. The lower the speakers are allowed to go the more power hungry they become. If you have infinite power you can drive the speakers ever lower but not with limited power. Your probably best to go with about 50-60 hz minimum with the mackie and run your bass instruments louder with stage volume.

Most speaker companies at least try and try and get the speakers fairly flatt in response, that is the -0- precurve btw...The others have different frequencies augmented or cut.. the diagrams show the frequencies from 20-20,000hz from left to right in 1/3 octave increments...You can visit the RANE site I provided for a very good explanation of EQ, Graphic, and parametric, and everything in between.

Think of equalization as the boosting or cutting of various frequencies. If you don't hear enough kick thud augment the 80 hz area, if it's to boxy take out the primary kick frequencies in the 250-500 hz area, for more beater head aim the mic at the beater head about 6-8\" from the head on the inside of the kick and add 2-3k area. For vocal clarity add some 3500 hz and guitar leads @ 2K area. These things should be done on the channel strip EQ if at all possible, not the GEQ. Get a flat response and use the GEQ for quick adjustments only...
  • Options
    Thanks Gadget,

Is the \"bandpass filter\" part of the DRPA or a separate piece? Is there a brand or model you'd recommend? I'm not familiar with the term.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    A crossover, whether active (electronic) or passive (speaker board), is nothing but \"filters\" that intersect each other. You will set up a \"custum - passive\" and sub \"none\" for full range and a \"custum - passive\" and sub typically \"Custom - mono\" for the system with sub(s).
    In the crossover roll off the low side of the x-over \"filter\" as Gadget suggested to protect the lowest tones from reaching your cabs. Most use a BW knee filter and a slope of 18.

DRA