Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity
Options

DRPA with Bose speakers - Please advice

ChrisLeoChrisLeo Posts: 18
edited November 2007 in PA Connectivity
First off, Hi guys. I'm new to this site & i have found heaps of help already. To get to the point, Please give me your expert advice on how I should connect my speaker setup. I usually use the system in Biamped mode for large venues & single for smaller.

Mixer - Soundcraft MPX20
Amps - Crown CSL1400
Peavey CS1000
Speakers - Bose 802 Ser 11 x 4
Bose 302 subs x 2
Bose 802C control units x 2
Mackie SRM450 x 2 (usually used for on stage monitoring)

2nd question, whats the difference between a Fixed filter & a Live filter?

Thanks heaps,
Chris

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hmmm,
    You posted this in the DRPA section, said nothing about a Driverack, have 2 Bose controllers? are you wanting to replace the Bose controller, add the DRPA and use both? Or what?

A fixed filter is one that has captured a feedback frequency and holds it... a roaming filter is just that.. it looks for feedback kills it and holds for the period you set the filter to hold, then releases and starts looking again...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Sorry Gadget, guess in my excitement of posting I overlooked the most important points.

Yes, I have just purchased a DRPA. Would be perfect if I can go straight from the DRPA to Bose Hi & Low amps, if not I can go through the Bose control units. My question is this.

The Bose control unit has input from Mixer, Then two outputs, One to 802 Amp & one to 302 amp. I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about. What I was thinking of doing was taking the High outs from the DRPA, into the Bose inout section of control unit & letting the Bose handle the crossover. Is this OK or would the DRPA handle it better? What are the advantages/disatvantages

Thanks
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Bose are highly processed, is would be very difficult to match the processor with the DRPA, or the 260 for that matter, unless you have a lot of time and really understand what you're doing.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgitGadgit Posts: 24
    Dra wrote:
    Bose are highly processed, is would be very difficult to match the processor with the DRPA, or the 260 for that matter, unless you have a lot of time and really understand what you're doing.

DRA
    That's right monkey boy!...:lol:

Happy trails,

Gadgit
  • Options
    I had a play with them & you guys are spot on, it's really hard to get it right. Now what I'm thing of doing is getting a pair of powered subs - Dynacord 800's & running the Bose 802 through the DRPA as full range, still wont make much of a difference would it?!?!? :?

:idea: How large a room can a pair of Mackie SRM450's handle when used as highs through the DRPA, with Dynacord powered subs, or any other high powered subs for that matter?? That might be the better option :idea:
  • Options
    If your thinking of purchasing new SRM 450's be warned that they are now made offshore and the quality has suffered greatly...I would lean more toward Yorkville, or FBT. If you already HAVE the 450's...small rooms a few hundred people coverage. Depending on the type of music. They work fine for Playback as in DJ karaoke, but to use them for a full out rock band might be stretching it a bit. I believe the 450m would do about the same as the Bose.

As for the scenario using the DRPA as a crossover is possible, but again you would need to do a lot of processing, but I believe I could do it.. The thing is you'll probably notice that without processing the 802's sound nasally and mid rangy. It would be interesting to see what the auto EQ would come up with using the \"new indoor\" method of auto EQ. Might give you some starting points for PEQ's.

As I look at your last response I am wondering if your not perhaps located in England perhaps? Thus the Dynacord reference? If so I'm not sure what is available in your area brand wise that is?

Gadget
  • Options
    Hi Gadget,

Thanks for your response & looking into helping me out. The SRM450's I own already, & they are the older models. The Bose system as well I have owned for the past 15+ years. I'm in Australia by the way.
    We are a cover band, mainly rock pop & reggae. I have used my Bose system for a long time but liked the idea of adding the DBX DRPA on. I'm sure it will make a huge difference used properly.
    Where the Dynacord came in, is because I'm looking at geeting a tighter, more powerful bottom end. The bose does give you that but not that low down tight bottom end. The reviews I have read here about Dynacords are huge, hence I'm looking at going down that path. What do you think? I know you guys will propably back your JBL's etc. Also another VERY important factor, I have been offered a pair of Dynacord powered subs SUB800A for a really good price. :D
  • Options
    I am in NO way a JBL guy...YUCK... I don't like their sound...I also don't like the Dynacord, and know nothing of what you have available. What is a good price? I don't know.. but subs DO make a nice addition.. Run the RTA on those bose and let me know what you find..
    G
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    JBL? Don't get Gadget going on JBL. What are you using for monitors? I bet the Bose would give you excellent gain before feedback (no horn).

DRA