Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Devil with RTA

bubbabubba Posts: 17
Has anyone read this article and what is your take on it?

http://www.campuspa.com/downloads/devil_with_rta.pdf

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hi bubba,

Bennett would be correct in regards to the DriveRack PA/260 AutoEQ function... The AutoEQ process will over compensate for room modes, phase cancellation, comb filtering, timing alignment, etc., etc... This function should only be used indoors and only for acquiring a starting point... After the AutoEQ has been performed it's up to the \"ultimate RTA\" (your ear) to make necessary adjustments... Even without RTA software mentioned in Bennett's article the DriveRack and RTA mic can be very beneficial... I have also learned how to use them for setting-up time alignment and phasing…

Thanks for sharing the article… I have read numerous posts of Bennett’s at the PSW site…:)

Cheers,

Kevin
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Since that is the article I referred to in one of my posts regarding RTA based measurement systems I would have to say yes I have... I believe what Kevin meant was that the measurement should be done OUTDOORS.. away from ALL reflective surfaces, or with the \"new indoor method\" that I have detailed in the FAQ section under \"read me first\"...

Mr. Prescott is correct, and Mikey Kovach and I did a series on RTA based measurement detailing those same points... This is an acoustic power measurement only, and is useful for setting up a flat system (within the limitations of the 1/3 octave it utilizes) again away from ALL reflective surfaces. You can then store as flat a perset as you can get and then if you get a chance to RTA the system in a room, you can compare what the Auto EQ does to the sound with that of the flat preset. If you understand the physics of sound you can then use the information to make some educated decisions and make changes that will help the sound...

G
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Master Po,...I guess I was off topic but I was refering to the DriveRacks AutoEQ function... I was implying that the AutoEQ will over compensate for things like comb-filtering, room modes, improper phasing, and time alignment... I think the example that Bennett used would apply here... If you had reverberant room mode that presented a large boost at 200Hz and comb-filtering that presented a large dip at 500Hz the AutoEQ would tune the GEQ accordingly?...

Kev