Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

Reworking Inherited System

dwpondscumdwpondscum Posts: 8
edited December 2007 in PA Configuration Wizard
This is my first time with a dbx DriveRack, but I can work my way around a mixer and a few amps. The problem I am having is with wired and wireless mics. I have Shure wired mics and Shure wireless mics going into a Mackie mixer, into the feedback exterminator, and then into the dbx DriveRack. I was having some problems so I ran the config wizard; just the Auto EQ Wizard. This system has been working decently for a while. Now the wired mics will not work at all. In fact the mixer lights do not even show up as receiving a signal from the mics. I know they are good, by trying them in another system. Running the Pink test has fixed the problems with the wireless mics fading in and out, but this is a bigger problem. We use the wired mics more.

Suggestions? More information needed?

Dave

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Why would you run a feedback eliminator in front of the Driverack that has a feedback eliminator?

So, if you plug the wireless mics into another working mixer they work? using the same cables you use when plugging in to the other mixer? do the hard wired mics work? No signal means the wireless isn't working it would seem to me but if you say they work with another mixer???

Have you tried using the PFL on the input channel to see if there is any signal on the channel strip?

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Running the Pink test has fixed the problems with the wireless mics fading in and out, but this is a bigger problem.
    Can you clarify this statement? Oxidation on the inputs of the channels, perhaps? All channels tested?
    The external FBX unit could be utilized if you have sub-groups and inserted that for all vocals.

DRA
  • Options
    Sorry, it was late when I wrote that post.

I have inherited this system, so I do not understand why they have wired some of these things. Right now I am worried about getting everything working again, then I will optimize!

I was having problems after rewiring the wireless mics. A person would talk into one, the mixer LED would show the signal, but no sound across the speakers. The person that setup everything originally is not reliable, but said to check the dbx. So I simply ran the Wizard for the Auto EQ to Pink the room. Now the wireless mics work fine, but the hard wired mics will not work at all. They do not even show a light on the mixer when a person speaks into them. I know the mics are good. They were working before the pinking of the room. The only change to the dbx was the Auto EQ Wizard. I even made sure by taking a mic to another mixer and it worked fine.

During the Wizard Auto EQ setup, I used the RTA mic and was able to adjust the sound level and the mic volume did show a change. However, the wired mics have not worked since. I have tried running the wizard several additional times at different final adjustment levels to see if that helped without success.

Hopefully, this clear things up....

Dave
  • Options
    Well, your explanation is pretty clear, but the problem does make sense.
    Let's isolate channel 1.
    Will a wired mic work in this channel? I'll assume XLR.
    Will a wired mic work in this channel using a transfer or DI into the 1/4 input?
    Will a wireless mic work in this channel? XLR
    Will a wireless mic work in this channel? 1/4
    Will a CD player work in this channel? 1/4
    Will CD work in this channel using a transfer or DI into the XLR input?

DRA
  • Options
    I am assuming you mean the channel one on the mixer? Yep it works fine. I plugged one of the wireless receivers into it and it works great. All XLR. The ONLY thing that I changed before this problem occurred was the running the Auto EQ Wizard on the dbx. Which has an input from the primary output from the mixer and high/low amps to speakers. Everything is mono; since everything is simply voice.

Dave
  • Options
    Does the wired mic work on that channel?
  • Options
    No it does not. A wired mic does not work on channel 7 either. Another channel picked at random. Again ANY wired or wireless mic worked fine on ANY channel just before I ran the Auto EQ test.

That is why I am confused!

Dave
  • Options
    What wired mic are you using?
  • Options
    My test mic is a Crown goose neck. However, why would that matter? This is a happing with ALL three of my wired mics. I can not believe that they all died at once. I have tested the Crown in the other system just to make sure it was working. That is my base for my test.

Dave
  • Options
    Does your board have phantom power? And is it on?
  • Options
    Yes, it does have phantom power. No, it is not on. Was it ever on? I do not think so. Currently there is a Marantz CD player plugged into the mic inputs. Adding DC Power to the mic inputs are not going to damage the CD player. That does not sound like a happy combo!

Dave
  • Options
    The Crown is most likely a condensor. Since a lot of boards are all on or all off with PP, then it should not be a problem with the CD player. Turn on the phantom power, I bet the mic(s) will work. If you feel unsafe about the CD player unplug it and use an isolation transformer.

DRA
  • Options
    Well, that fixed it. Thanks for your help. I figured it had to be something other than the dbx. That simply did not make since. I will now investigate the CD player with PP. However, everything was working fine before, therefore, I must have accidentally have hit the switch on it or something. So the CD player should work with PP.

Either way all the mics work now. That is the important part. We rarely play CDs.

Again, thanks for the education lesson.

Dave
  • Options
    No problem. Glad to help.

DRA :D