Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

blowing woofers

trshottrshot Posts: 54
edited December 2007 in PA General Discussion
Hi guys..I want to start with a simple question...If set up properly, will the DRPA stop speaker blowouts?...that being asked here's my problem...

I own a set of JBL SR4718 subs powered with a Crown CE4000. I also have a set of JBL SR4725X series II mains, dasiey chained to a 4ohm load and powered with a Crown XTI2000 bridged. everything goes thru a DRPA that was set up buy a local Pro sound store..

I have blown 3 woofers in my mains. One cab reconed once the other twice. The Pro shop said all is well with the set up and really can't say why this is happening!!! All I do is set my input line levels at unity/+2db's and use the master fader stopping before I even get to unity. I'm baffled as to why this is happening.

I have used active Mackies for 3+years and only blew a driver and I knew then that I pushed it to hard (outside event)..

Any input from the forum Gods is much needed
Thanks for your time.....

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Woofers in tops, subs, or both?
    Can you list your set-up parameters?
    1) x-over filters for subs & tops, including HPF, LPF and slope type.
    2) Compression settings
    3) Limiter settings.
    4) Current GEQ filter adjustment below 100hz.
    5) Current PEQ filters for tops and subs.
    6) Sub-Synth settings.
    7) Current amp attenuator setings.
    8) Any filtering or limiting engaged on the amps themselves.

The short answer is YES, but only IF. I bet we can isolate a problem somewhere in the set-up.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    The CE4000 is a real speaker cooker if your not careful...I have set up a few systems that have done just that. Sounds like you need a new Pro shop...I'm betting they didn't set the gain structure... your under powered, and yes you can still cook those babies with a DRPA in the system. I would do a gain structure myself so I knew where the amps were clipping. It might be an eye opener...Follow the instructions in the Welcome \"READ ME FIRST\" before posting on the front page of the forum. Hopefully you are not running the CE4000 bridged... that would be a 2 ohm load and a definite NO NO. Me thinks your gonna have to take this on yourself, and if you follow the instructions in the welcome area you'll stop having speaker funeral pyres...
    Gadget
  • Options
    trshottrshot Posts: 54
    Sorry I didn't mention what woofers,Duh, that would help! the woofers are in the tops...I don't have my gear here, it's at Pro Sound getting looked at..

From what I do remember (the basic stuff),Just to get a snapshot for now,DRPA settings are as follows..I will follow up after I get my gear back today..

it's set up as a mono input from the board,I am using both outputs to subs and one high (left channel)output to the mains.
    LPF- crossed at 37db, gain set at 6.0 db
    HPF- crossed at 90db, gain set at 2.7 db
    compression OFF (pro sound recomended this as it compresses everything in the mix)
    limiters ON - sorry don't remember settings
    gain is full on, on both amps (again recomended by pro shop)

I'll be back with all your answers...

Thank you....
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Amps at full on is the first sign that they didn't set the gain structure, and could not have set the limiters relative to that.

Compression off - good

Are you run the tops full range? or also crossed at 90? If crossed then you are definately (likely) clipping or putting too much RMS to them. Raising them to 100hz would help them if it is a power situation.

Do as Gadget says and read the entire section.

The DRPA requires you to run more limiting than you want, because there is no \"Brickwall\" feature. If you set the limiter at +18db (20db being clip), the DRPA can't stop a spike greater than 20db. It will get some of it but not all. You may have to set the limiter at 15db and set it overeasy to prevent clipping. Watching the output meters when the limiting occurs will help you get it set. READ READ READ.

DRA