Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

crossover advice

LudwigLudwig Posts: 7
edited December 2007 in PA General Discussion
I again want to thank everyone for advice on my prior post. I would really appreciate some additional advice re: setting up best optimized crossover choices.

The speakers are custom and consist of the following drivers-all TAD products

HF-compression driver with 100mm Beryllium diaphragm/ sectoral horn
this driver is speced at 600-20000 Hz

MF- 12\" polymer graphite driver freq response 200-3000 Hz

LF- pair of 16\" drivers- polymer graphite freq response 28-2000 Hz

any recommendations as to the crossover points to best utilize the drivers. the HF driver is phenomenal not to discount the performance of the low and mid range- so do I favor this driver in the crossover? Likewise is there a \"sweet spot\" for the 12\" mid

Again thanks for any suggestions

Ludwig

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Do those numbers have any tolerance indicators for their flatness? ie +/- 3 db or +/- 10db. What about power ratings? Does TAD recommend any x-over points and slopes? Anything else?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    A lot is going to depend on the cabinet, but I would think if your going to use it as a home setup I'd start around 100o hz for the lm/hf cross, I'd run 24 db linkwitz reily at lm/hf and lf /lm points and probabdy end up somewhere in the 110-120 hz lf/lm cross since its a 12 \" But it's so easy to try new setups I'd definately do some testing...

Gadget
  • Options
    That 200 hz minimum on the 12\" is bothersome to me. #1) it doesn't sound right and #2) I don't like the 16\"'s going that high. But I have to remind myself that we are talking \"audiophile\" stuff here.

DRA
  • Options
    I did a lot of searching trying to find the actual freq response curves of these drivers but with no success
    The only info being the subjective comments of \"incredibly flat response\" etc. The response curve of the TAD reference one using these drivers is extraordinarily flat and linear. TAD drivers are generally used in studio monitoring applications with commercial 2 way and 3 way systems in the $60000/ pair range. so much for subjective.

The data I do have is-

HF driver recommended crossover 600Hz or greater with 12-18 dB cutoff
    this driver is commonly used without the midrange in a 2 way system with the 16\"

MF driver \"flat\" from 200-3000 Hz recommended crossover the same
    the free air resonance is at 52 Hz Qms-1.43 Qes .15

LF driver \"flat\" from 21-2000 Hz recommended crossover 900

the question is where the best utilization of the mid would be to allow the best usage of the truly remarkable HF driver to be best represented

with a given cutoff how much overlap in the transition?

many thanks

Ludwig
  • Options
    I think realistically you are going to have to do a lot of playing. You do have a couple of clues though.
    The 16\" references the 900hz point and since used with the HF driver sounds like they cross at 900hz when together. Now go from there and divide up the mid with the 12\". Try 200hz to 1800hz. That is about 2 octives below the 900hz and 1 octive above.
    16's covering 25hz (if that low, I'd higher) - 200hz which is 3 octives.
    12 covering 200hz - 1800hz which is 3+ octives.
    HF driver covering 1800hz - 20K which is 3+ octives.

All filters - LR24

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks- I'll try a few different combinations tonight

Ludwig