Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Need help with my rig

droid collectordroid collector Posts: 3
edited January 2008 in PA General Discussion
Hi,

I just joined up after reading some of the troubles and admire the pro's that take the time to answer.
I bought the DRPA about 2 years ago. My partner has been using it. I've noticed he keep blowing the tweeter. This is what I have:
2 JBL 4731 RMX 850 running high (stereo), 2 RMX 1450 running mids (mono)
2 JBL 4719 2 CS800x (mono)
Allen and Heath GL2200
First, when I went one time to listen to the mix, the mids were really high. So high that if you walked next to the speaker it hurt your ears. I noticed on the DRPA, the output leds on the mids were not peaking, but the top yellow led was.

The band consist of trumpets, tuba drums and saxaphones. Can anyone help me tune this rig up?

Any help would be apreciated.

Raul

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    edited January 2008
    Hi Paul,

I would take a look at the GEQ for unnecessary boosts in the 7kHz-20kHz range... You may also try turning the amplifier attenuators down on the tops until you get a good balance between them and your subs... If that doesn't work you may need to lower the crossover gain for your tops...

Kev
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Download the Driveware (software GUI). Enter the cabs and amps you have and compare the x-over settings and PEQ setting that it recommends to what you have currently. Also compare the amp settings. Although it is best (as posted in the Read me first... section above) to do the gain structure the old fashion way.

Chances are also that he has Auto-EQ'd the room and gone with it as is.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I think you better look at the dynamics processor on the Hi outputs..if I understand you correctly the yellow LED on the hi outs could be indicating compression, or limiting action. If it's compression then the amp may be providing a high average level and that could be causing the diaphrams to heat up and thats why the diaphragms keep frying. Are there any indications of clipping on the amps?

Also do as Dra and Kevin suggest, I would also look at the possibility that he added a \"constant directivity horn eq\" to the horns on the speakers...(I believe those have one.. but if the level is too high on that shelf filter.. it could cause the diaphragms to fry) This and more are all addressed in the Welcome READ ME FIRST section. In the \"Links\" section you will find the Peavey \"Tech Notes\" there you will find the explanation of CD horn EQ by the principal inventor, Marty McCann who worked for EV at the time.

I could give you the link but I would prefer you did the homework and you will then see that there is a lot of good info in those links and you will hopefully READ them and learn what your up against.. I recommend HIGHLY that you read the :
    Top 10 Ways To \"TOAST\" Speakers and Diaphragms
    BOUNDARY CANCELLATION
    How to eliminate low frequency noise cancellation with proper woofer placement
    Shock Hazard and Grounding

That should give you something to get started with...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks guys,...I will try doing some reading, run some test and get back to you guy with hopefully, good results.

Raul