Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Connectivity

I have no idea what I got my self into!!

fusquitofusquito Posts: 5
edited February 2008 in PA Connectivity
Hey guys, as my title sais, I have no idea what I got into, I just got the Driverack Pa for this band I just started doing sound for, they use 2 big amps that face to the public and 2 floor monitors, bouth of the power amps ( 1 for the big amps and 1 for the floor monitors) are 500 watts, so , would there be a diference where I plug them in the back of the Driverack? I know that there are 2 for high 2 for mid and 2 for low, but I don't understand the diference, I know almos nothing about live sound so I have a very basic idea of what is what.. They use a 16 chanell Mackie for a board and just a 4 chanell dbx compressor.., if you guys can give me a hand that will be grate.. I also got the RTA-M mic, how far from the board is this mic has to be, or in relationship with the room ( center/side/??), or dose it have to be close to the amps or monitors.
Thank you for your time and I'm sorry about my ignorance.

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    \"How do you use the DRPA?\" questions are always (usually) responded with this...

First, go to the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING section and read everything that is there. There are very detailed (step by step) instructions. There may be 1 or 2 posts that do not apply (like connecting a computer to the 260), but you'll know real quick if they don't apply to you.

Secondly, if you have more specific questions do searches using key words; Sub placement, speaker array, speaker alignment, auto-eq, AFS, feedback, system noise, peq, amp size, etc....

Lastly, for unique problems and questions post questions here and there are several of us that keep an eye on things, with Gadget being chief guru. We are happy to help, but need you to take the lead in your learning. It's the best way.

DRA
  • kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    In addition to Dra's suggestions,...I also recommend that you read this ebook...

Dig in, have fun,...and enjoy the journey!...:D

Cheers!

Kev
  • Thanks Dra and thanks kpippen that book rocks!, I'll make sure I do bouth of your sugestions, some times there is so much to learn that I feel I never going to get this thing to work, but I remember that I had that problem every single time I got something new.. lol.. so I just have to go and do the learning instead of freak out when I see all the things I dont know how to use.. I'll be installing my DRPA this saturday so I'll get back to you guys to let you know how it went..

Thanks for your help!
    You will be tempted to use the auto-eq, the first time you set up for a gig. Don't use it, until you have read up on the pitfalls.

DRA
  • Hey guys, after almost a month I am back, so I got a problem on my set up..
    Let me give you some info about my set up, it's a very simple one.. I got a Mackie board (16 channels) with 5 AUX's, I use \"AUX 1\" for 2 daisy-chain floor monitors (the 2 floor monitors come out of the power amp by 1/4 inch cables and come in by bananas, and thats all is available in the power amp) and I got a difrent power amp for the \"big speakers\" this would be the ones face to the crowd that come out from the main outs of the Mackie. ( I hope some one gets what I just said)... Anyways, the problem is that 99% of feedback comes from the floor monitors which I can't connect to the DriveRack cause it only has 2 inputs ( Left /Right ) and those are for the main
    monitors, so my question is.. ( finaly) how do I get the DriveRack to detect the feedback from my floor monitors? or what do I do? cause as I said is not that I can connect the floor monitors to the DriveRack ( thats where the \"big speakers\" the ones that face the crowd go)
    I'm sorry that everything I said sounds complicated..

Thanks!
    If you are wanting to have full control over mains and monitors with the DRPA, forget about it. If you want to run the same mix, only at a lower volume to the monitors, that is doable. But I don't think that is what you are wanting.
    Your problem: feedback in the monitors.
    Solutions:
    Buy another DRPA for the monitors.
    Buy a 260 for mains and put your 260 on monitors.
    Buy a 31 band EQ for your monitors. (If you already are using one and it is not helping, you can consider a DBX, Sabine, Peavey, etc \"Feedback killer\". You may have problems that are beyond technology (room, stage volume, etc).

To fix the problem, to have to find the problem.

DRA
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    you could read this... post I made and see if sounds lik it would work for you...
    http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
    G
    squito - I posted to the link gadget posted above. Check again, if you already haven't.

DRA
  • I see what you guys are saying, thanks for your help!!