Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

Sound Check Tracks

SkinTradeSkinTrade Posts: 12
Hi

Since most of us have now discovered you can't effectively use the RTA at a gig, I guess we are down to playing some recorded tracks to verify the system sounds good before the artists get on stage. So my question is: What do all the readers on this forum recommend? I'm looking for a list of well-recorded music, but, keep in mind, we'd have to stick to the general rock / rock-pop genre. The bands I deal with normally play in that genre and their audiences probably won't appreciate a Beethoven sonata on piano, however great it may be. :wink:
So, give me some track names. Everybody!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    YA, unfortunately system tuning with respect to the room, even if you have the appropriate tools..I.E. FFT measurement device, requires a great deal of knowledge of the physics of sound and the process used to do the worK. I dare say, the average well rounded sound guy would still need training to operate it properly. The bes thing you can do is get the energy on the audience, and off the reflective surfaces, minimize the interaction of the various system components (try and not overlap coverages and use mono sub configurations wherever possible, and have a properly tuned, flat response system.

That said, my picks are:
    1: Steely Dan \"most any\" I use the master recordings
    2: Dread Zeppelin \"Un Lead Ed\"
    3: Toto (1979) debut album
    4: Pink Floyd 'Dark Side' The heartbeat will tell you a lot about your low end
    5: Chris Isaak 'Heart shaped world'
    6: Primus most any for shear concussive bass and percussion
    7: Animal logic
    8: Leann Rhymes 'How do I live' female voice and articulation
    9: The Police
    10: Alpine 'test disc'

Just a few of the many, but I know these so well from my reference system in the studio that I know what they should sound like, and thats an important fact to consider, you need to know what they SHOULD sound like...

Gadget
  • Options
    Dave Matthews \"STAY\".

has everything you need to test. Great Bass, Great Highs, etc.

Give it a shot.
  • Options
    MikeyMikey Posts: 82
    I have a few favorites. I've listened to all if them on many, many different systems from small speakers on sticks to vDosc, Vertec, Milo, etc. and in mastering rooms. Needless to say, I know these tunes pretty well. If any of them sound funny in the ranges that are \"pushing the limits\" in their respective frequency \"challenge\" ranges, something has to be adjusted.

Here goes:

Rain-Patty Griffin
    Be Careful-Patty Griffin
    Some Change-Boz Scaggs
    I'm an Errand Girl for Rhythm-Diana Krall
    Century City-Galactic
    Picture of Jesus-Ben Harper
    Line 'Em Up-James Taylor
    The Nightfly-you know, and i don't use this too much anymore
    City Love-John Mayer
    Give Me Jesus-Fernando Ortega
    Angel-Sarah McLachlan
    I Get Along Without You Very Well-Linda Ronstadt
    Nothin' Special-Del McCoury Band
    No ONe Can Hurt Me-The Grays
    That is Why-Jellyfish
    Red Rain-Peter Gabriel
    A Matter of Minutes-Shawn Colvin
    Fields of Gold-Sting
    Norah Jones-Don't Know Why
    The Lighthouse Tale-Nickel Creek
    Ghost Train-Marc Cohn
    Stolen Moments-Lee Ritenour

Yeah, that about does it. Each song has something in particular that I'm listening for.

Ciao!
    Mikey