Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

New User - Need 3 Full Range Outputs

vweimervweimer Posts: 7
edited February 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
We just purchased a DRPA for our Church. We got it all set-up, but are having some issues. Also, I am an extreme novice; so I apologize for my ignorance.

We have the following:

Mackie 16 Channel Board
2 Mackie Powered Speaker Cabinets
2 Generic Floor Wedges
QSC Amp

We would really prefer to have all 4 speakers running in full range instead of splitting the ranges. So any help on how to do that would be great.

Additionally, we are having problems getting the Auto EQ to complete and when it does complete the EQ levels are extremely elevated when we look at the Graphical representation. This is resulting in a hiss from the 2 speakers currently configured as the Highs. Any help on getting it to complete and get rid of the hiss are also appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Hello wveimer,

I'm extremely busy today but I'm certain that Dra or Gadget will come to your rescue...:) In the mean time it would be great if you could post the exact model number and specs of your Mackie powered speakers... It's assumed that you are using the QSC amp for the wedges?...

Kev
  • Options
    The Mackie Speakers are SRM450 Powered Cabinets. Hope that helps and thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Welcome, To avoid a lot of redundant talk, do you want to have separate PEQ & limiter control for each wedge or control as a pair?
    To AUTO-EQ indoors while all 4 speakers are in their typical position is going to be BAD. Your only hope is to ONLY auto-eq the room with the FOH cab on only. Then only use the info from 160 hz - 700 hz. All else needs to be set flat (-0-) then adjust by ear with music that you are familiar with.

DRA
  • Options
    We are wanting to control all 4 speakers from the Main on the Board. However, we are running the Floor Wedges as a chained pair.

Here is me being nieve. What is the FOH Cab? After I Auto-EQ the room, how do I set the other freq ranges to -0-?
  • Options
    (F)ront (O)f (H)ouse cabinet. In your case the Mackies.

Go into the Wizard and select System Set-up.

Input - select Stereo.

EQ - set to Stereo linked.

Main speaker - \"Custom\" / Passive (not bi-amp)

Sub speaker - \"Custom\" / mono

Hi amp - \"Custom\"

Lo-amp - \"Custom\"

Lo-amp - \"Normal\" (not bridged)

Press Store button 3 times total (name the program what ever you like)

Press X-over button.

Press Next Page until Hi screen shows.

You want to select the Hi pass filter as BW18 and set to 55hz

Turn the level knob on the speakers to 12 o'clock.

Press Next Page to Low screen.

You want to select the Hi pass filter as BW18 and set to 70hz.

Set the Lo pass filter to 16K BW 6

Turn the the amp knobs to about 10 o'clock.

Give this a try and also read the \"READ ME FIRST\" section.

EQ changing- Enter the EQ section to the Graphic section (next page) then press the data whaeel until it is on the frequency that you want to change. Then turn the data wheel up or down..

DRA
  • Options
    OK. I understand that. Does your response change at all knowing that we are trying to run the 2 floors in the front facing the audience and then the 2 Mackies in the back facing the audience.

We have found that we get a warmer sound in the room we have, if we have 2 in the front and 2 in the back.
  • Options
    Do you mean that the wedges are firing straight ahead at or near the front row and that the Mackies are firing straight ahead 1/2 way back?
    Or are all firing in from the 4 corners of the audience?

Something else.

DRA
  • Options
    The Floor Wedges are in the front firing toward the front row and the Mackies are in the back corners firing in towards the center of the room.
  • Options
    Roughly how big is the area of coverage? xx' wide by xx' deep
  • Options
    The room is roughly 60'W by 80'D
  • Options
    Would you say that the speakers are equally loud or are the Mackie's primarily \"whispering\" to the rear as a fill?
    You have a couple of problems.
    1 - Mismatched speakers inherently cause interaction problems.
    2 - If the speakers have near equal output then those in the center have it pretty good. Those in the very back and very front have it pretty good. Those in the nether regions will be fighting the same sound arriving at diferent times, which affects intelligability.

Is it possible to sell the wegdes and buy 2 more Mackies ?

Having said that, you can set the filter on the wedges to match the Mackies (55 hz). Your work is cut out for you to get this to work right. Search and read up on PEQ settins, auto EQ, flat response, plus the entire READ ME FIRST section. Then try to get each speaker pair as flat as possible with the PEQ's (not likely).

DRA

PS - Got to go, for now.
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    vweimer wrote:
    The Floor Wedges are in the front firing toward the front row and the Mackies are in the back corners firing in towards the center of the room.

Would using delay be too complicated to setup?? / be helpful???
    Mark
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    There is not enough delay in the DRPA to be of any use but if you did, it would only be good for some of the seats not all...

G