Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Initial System Setup with Bose LS-1's

TheShiftyTheShifty Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in PA General Discussion
Hello All,
I've been considering a purchase of the DriveRack PA for some time and finally pulled the trigger last night, getting one unit along with the mic.

Reading through the manual, scrolling through the setup screen on the system, and reading this forum has generated a lot of questions for me and my system in particular. My system is a little bit different from most as my high packs are Bose LS-1 Cylindrical Loudspeakers. I run two of the Bose subs per side as well, which have been used in conjunction with a pair of JBL PRX 518 powered subs. I use this setup in a traditional manner, placing the system in front of the band.

My board is a Mackie ONYX 1640. I want to run the board direct out into the DriveRack and then run out of the DRPA and run into my powered speakers. In the past, I have run full-range out of the board into the JBL subs, crossing over through the subs, and taking the remaining signal out the subs and into the Bose LS-1’s.

First Question: Should I continue to run full-range (out of the DRPA) or run 2-way? Does the DRPA do one better than the other and will one method produce a cleaner overall sound FOH? Can I run full-range and take advantage of the subharmonic synthesizer built-in to the DRPA?

As I was reading the manual last night and scrolling through the system parameters, I was trying to build my system into the unit. The Bose systems aren't preset into the DRPA, but the JBL PRX 518’s are.

Second Question: For the Bose LS-1’s, should I choose the “Custom� setting for them when designating my high packs?

I would like to take advantage of the Auto EQ function that is found in the DriveRack. There seems to be some debate on the boards here as to its’ actual effectiveness, especially when used with a mobile system, which mine is. The idea that I had when purchasing the unit was to create a basic blueprint for my PA system in the DRPA (to include some subharmonic synthesis, some comp/limiting to prevent damage to my system, etc…), and then to create presets of each room my band plays regularly, after I have Auto EQ’d the room. Once this was done, I would then be able to pull the particular room preset up for the subsequent gigs at that venue.

Question 3: Is this something that would be effective in clarifying the overall mix? Does the DRPA’s auto EQ really clean up the mix?

Thank you for taking a moment to read this and any feedback you may have would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    No compression. Limiting only.
    Read up on Auto-EQ. You said you read some, but not enough if you still have questions about it. Better to not use than use without a good understanding.

Gadget is our resident Bose expert. I'll leave that to him.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    No compression. Limiting only.
    Read up on Auto-EQ. You said you read some, but not enough if you still have questions about it. Better to not use than use without a good understanding.

Gadget is our resident Bose expert. I'll leave that to him.

DRA

Any help he can offer on the best method to handle the Bose would be appreciated.
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    You're using the L1 and power stand but not the bass module?...
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    I think he's running 2 Bose subs and a JBL per side.

DRA
  • Options
    Hello Shifty,

If your using the L1 model I Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker, L1 model I power stand, and B1 bass module then you should go with full range out Left and right high outputs from the DRPA to the 1/4 unbalanced line (not XLR mic) input of the L1 power stand... It would be very difficult to make any suggestions in regards to your JBLs because there is no way know how the BOSE processor is reckoning... In addition,...it's not a good idea to mix two entirely speaker types...

I agree with Dra,...it will be very interesting to hear what Gadget has to say...:twisted:

Cheers!

Kev
  • Options
    What I've done in the past is run the board out into the JBL, taking the crossed-over output of the JBL and running into the Bose, making it the last thing in the signal flow. To date, I've not had any issues.

Are there impedance concerns I'm not aware of? What are the concerns when mixing speaker types such as these from different manufacturers? For what I've paid for my powered speakers, I'm not interested in damaging any of them and will take the necessary steps to insure that they are protected.

I have contacted Bose for assistance in the past, but as they do not publish the system specs on the LS-1 systems (they consider that private insider information) I have never gotten a definitive answer to my questions. Although I did find the following on their website in relation to using additional subs with the LS-1 systems:

Can I connect a passive subwoofer to the bass module output?
    No. We don't recommend connecting anything to this output except a B1 bass module, as the internal amplifier and bass module(s) are designed to properly equalize the system when connected. You may use the bass line-out connection, however, to feed a powered subwoofer or additional amplifier.

Can I use the bass line out to connect to a bass amplifier and cabinet?
    Yes. The bass line-out connector provides a flat 40 Hz to 180 Hz bandpass signal when no B1 bass modules are connected. We recommend unplugging the bass modules to ensure correct EQ compensation of the bass line-out jack and phase consistency.

From the above, it would appear that Bose has already taken into account that some users would be looking for more Low end than their system supplies, and have addressed it, but I cannot be 100% sure.

Based on what I'm hearing, everything seems to run quite well. The sound is quite good. If I can get a little more clarity through the use of a Rackdrive PA, I'll be in heaven.

Just for clarification, I am running one JLB PRX518 and two Bose subs per side. As great as the Bose sound, they simply cannot reproduce a huge bass drum sound.
  • Options
    Shifty,

No problem!... You should go with full range out from the DriveRack XLR to the 1/4" Line input on the power module...:D
    Input ..........................................Combination XLR (mic) or ¼-inch phone connector unbalanced (line) input. Inserting a male XLR connector sends the input signal to a balanced microphone preamplifier. Inserting a ¼-inch phone plug sends the input signal to an unbalanced high-impedance line-level circuit which is suitable for most instruments such as active or passive guitars or basses, keyboards, etc. Both inputs can be adjusted with the Trim control.

Connect the "Bass Line Out" of the power module to either of the stereo inputs on the JBLs... The block diagram in the JBL manual indicates that the stereo inputs are summed...:wink:
    Bass - Line OUT ................................ Balanced or unbalanced bass signal output for extended bass configurations.
    • Bass–Line OUT Frequency Response:
    • With 1 or 2 B1 bass modules connected to B1 Bass Module: 40-180Hz, compensated for B1 bass module.
    • Without B1 bass modules connected to B1 Bass Module: 40-180Hz, flat bandpass.
    JBL Manual wrote:
    The amplifier input panel offers stereo inputs with XLR or ¼ inch jack compatibility. A user selectable crossover ensures a smooth transition to full-range system connected to the stereo outputs.

Looking at the cut-sheet I don't see a "user selectable crossover"?... The JBLs appear to have fixed crossover which is pretty well inside the 40-180Hz band pass of the BOSE...:D
    JBL Manual wrote:
    Frequency Range (-10 dB): 37 Hz – 140 Hz
    Frequency Response (±3 dB): 52 Hz – 110 Hz
    Crossover Modes: DSP controlled 48 dB filter slope
    Crossover Frequency: 110 Hz

You can also try a custom 2X3 from the DriveRack but the timing alignment and phasing between the JBL and BOSE subs needs to be perfectly synchronized...

JBLs:
    Connect to Left/Mono Low
    Full Range
    Gain +3dB

BOSE:
    Connect to Left and Right High Outs
    Full Range
    Gain 0dB

bose_1.gif

bose_2.gif

Either way,...I don't see an impedance issue here...2cents.gif

Cheers!

Kevin
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I can't believe you guys would say I'm a expert on bose...Where's mr... Jbl is second only to bose and bose is second to none...geez :?