Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

New DriveRack PX for powered speaker systems...

kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
http://www.dbxpro.com/DriveRackPX/PX.php

It has four outputs and no GUI interface... It's appears to be a simplified version of the DRPA for powered speakers...8)

Kev

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    It appears to have a x-over but no direct access. It may be in Set-up. DBX has upgraded the limiters to the \"Brick wall\" Plus version. I wonder about the \"thump\".

DRA
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Looks like $399.00 is the going price... It'll be near impossible to offer support on these unless we get to play with one... Don't you think?...

Kev
  • Options
    The real question is have they gotten rid of the power on/power off CRACK!!! that the Driverack PA makes.

If they have done this, the unit should sell well. If not, it's not worth the time of day.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Since it's based on the DRPA frame I wouldn't bet there would be any difference in the \"thump\" factor...Second, those things will sell just fine at the price point that they are at, just as the DRPA continues to be the top seller in its class...
    G
  • Options
    jbmusicjbmusic Posts: 4
    I've had the DriveRack PX for a little over two weeks and have not noticed the thump problem. But, since I power my speakers up last, the problem could still be there.

The reason I came to this DBX site was to try to determine if DBX is going to find a way, (or has a way), to update the supported powered speaker systems list. But, since there's no serial port, firewire or USB port I guess there isn't. I find the list terribly short sighted and hope there is some solution to this limitation.

We are currently using QSC HP153i with the QSC 18 powered sub cabinet. The 153i's are on the list but NO QSC subs are. Why would DBX include the top part of the system but not the bottom?

In the very near future we plan to replace the QSCs with one of several line arrays. Probably JBL, but the only JBL stuff supported is the EON series. With the popularity of the JBL VRXs why wouldn't they be included?

Even though I'm disappointed I'm unfortunately stuck with this baby and can't return it. The day it was delivered to me we were playing a wedding in a tent. After set up and sound check I went back to the hotel to shower and get dressed. While I was gone somebody cleaning up for the catering company threw out the empty box.

Jim
  • Options
    The PX is designed (marketed) for powered speakers. Why would they put non-powered speakers in the list? I think you expect too much.
    The only way to know if it is \"pop\" protected, would be to turn down the gain on the speaker to about 25% and then turn off the PX. If it does pop, then you need to buy a UPS (about $30). Even if you do the correct power-down sequence, you can't control someone tripping over an extention cord or a caterer that needs an outlet.

IF you do the pop test. Please report back so other can know for sure if it is protected.

DRA
  • Options
    The JBL VRX932LAP and its matching sub are self-powered as is the QSC sub.

I actually already have a UPS in the rack and the DriveRack and the Spectral computer are on the battery back up outlets. I will be more than happy to do a pop test for you this weekend and post the results.
  • Options
    The JBL VRX line is now offered as powered cabs. the problem I see is you really don't want to run those as one per side, as line arrays are only as good as the length of the array for frequency coupling. That would mean that the more speakers you have the more PX's you'd need.. and the delay available would preclude having them too far from the subs unless built in DSP was also available on the amps.. as in the Itec and XTi series Crown amps.

I don't understand why you people think that a preset is necessary? It's simply a bandpass filter... A quick look at the specs of the speaker will tell you what the frequency response is.. and if you were running the cabs fullrange you would hipass the speaker around the 3db down point. to add subs only complicates the issue of providing presets unless you use matching subs as in the VRX 115, or 218 subs and even there we start to get into so many variations that the limited storage capability of the driverack starts to come into focus... there is FINITE storage space in the platform...and with the DRPA and PX these are update-able ONLY with a new chip ... only available through factory install.. (under warranty)

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget,

Thanks for clarity on the updatability on the PA and PX.
    I don't understand why you people think that a preset is necessary?
    I don't know about the rest of the people but this people was hoping the PX would help overcome some of the acoustic problems of playing one-nighters in gyms and ballrooms by analyzing the room and automatically optimizing my powered speakers to work best in that environment.

If the presets aren't necessary for the PX to do this job efficiently, why does dbx go to the trouble of having them at all? They also make this one of the selling points in their promo materials for this unit. The following is quoted from the PX page on this web site...
    In another dbx industry first, we’ve created a processor specifically tailored for powered speakers.
    Our out-of-the-box support for a host of JBL and other popular powered speakers, make setup a snap. Louder, cleaner, better sound than you thought possible from your powered speakers.

With the included dbx M2 measurement mic, Auto-EQ corrects for audible deficiencies in the room environment. Your ears, your audience, and your powered speakers will forever thank you.
    I haven't given up on the PX actually doing this job for me. I've only used it once so far with my QSCs. It was an outdoor gig and after running the wizards I wound up bypassing the EQ and compression in the PX because I didn't care for the results.

The next gig we did was a civic center which was much too large for the QSCs. We used a rented powered VRX system. Since there was no preset for the VRXs we ran the custom set up. The result was absolutely horrible!

I'm sure there's a certain level of \"user error\" involved here. That's why I'm here at this web site and in this forum... trying to find out what I need to do to get the performance from this unit that I was led to believe it was capable of providing.

Jim

\"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.\"
  • Options
    There is a learning curve in using new technology. Sounds like you have not read the READ ME FIRST section. There are a lot of info that will really help you understand the problems that you are having. Whay does DBX say things that are \"misleading\"? Marketing. Why does JBL claim that the Eon series are to die for? Marketing. Salesmen sell.
    Will the PX help you? Yes, most definately. After you learn some more.

DRA
  • Options
    Dra wrote:
    There is a learning curve in using new technology. Sounds like you have not read the READ ME FIRST section.
    DRA
    Sometimes I like to call 'em learning knuckleballs. I have a lot of "new" technology to catch up on. This is my first live gig in over 12 years and the capabilities of the new gear is mind boggling.

I DID read the "readme first" section. I found the part on gain structure very enlightening. As a matter of fact it was quite surprising because some of it was contrary to what I had been taught 35 years ago.

I just spent the last hour reading all of Gadget's advice in this forum's FAQs section. Some pretty enlightening stuff there as well but I'm still trying to wrap my brain around a few things, (like the RTA mic being placed at the floor or ceiling rather than at "ear" level). But rest assured, when we go out this weekend I will be experimenting with these ideas too.

Thanks again for taking time to offer advice, and please bear with me. I'm sure I'll have even more "possibly stupid" questions in the near future.
  • Options
    For the kind of product your looking for the 260 would have been a better choice.. since it's upgradable via software...and the VRX boxes are in the latest download=able software package... which YOU too can download and view...unfortunately they do not give you much in the preset.. a couple slight bumps in the sub PEQ's...No delay setting, generic limiter settings... thats it...
    Unlike my experience with those boxes that had nasty peaks @ 1k, 3.5K and 6.3K as I recall...

When you put the wizard into play and Bi-amp the boxes then you will start to see that they provide info and tunings...(and interestingly enough those same peaks (sans the 6.3k) are there also...

I have always railed against the panacea that there is ANYTHING that will do what you want it to do...If it was THAT easy there wouldn't be any need for us sound guys now would there? So what we... the actual USERS of this technology have done is come up with some practical ways to implement this technology, to pretty spectacular results...you mileage may vary, but I have been able to improve immensely every system I have used the Driverack on. BUT there is no magic pill.. no one button nirvana...sorry as Dra said it's all advertising hype...The DRPA and PX are entry level products that make certain tools available for the end user... but they certainly aren't a press one button and voulix... miracle sound.. in all rooms...To think that there is anything but good sound practices and a flat system that will help in an echo chamber like a GYM... ludacris! The only thing you can do is minimize the excitation of the room with a flat response system and get the sound on the bodies and off the reflective surfaces... the more energy you pour into a room like that the more destructive it will become. EVERY room has a point of no return where the once you reach the saturation level... more energy will only decrease the intelligibility of the message...

This and much more are covered in the \"READ ME FIRST\" section...

Gadget