Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Bi-Amp Setup

WitchsMarkWitchsMark Posts: 116
edited February 2008 in PA General Discussion
I am right around the corner from getting my new Peavey SP-2's. They say they are 2 way Bi-ampable. I have 3 power amps 2- EP2500 and 1 QSC850. Does this setup make sense??
1.) Use one EP2500 in Bridged mode to run the PV118 Subs.
2.) Use the other EP2500 in Stereo to run the SP-2 Mids
3.) Use the QSC850 in stereo [185W per channel] to run the SP-2 highs.
Do you think I could do this with the SP-2's seeing that they are Biampable, and if so is this a good way to do it or should I just keep to a 2-way setup instead of trying for a 3-way setup??

Comments

• Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Try it both ways and go with what sounds the best to you...

Kev
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Does peavy offer x-over and PEQ settings for biamping the SP2's? Down load the Peavey version of the Driveware for the 260. It might be in there.

DRA
  • Options
    Yes the Peavey SP-2 is a listed Speaker for the DRPA and so is the Peavey PV118 subs.
  • Options
    New concern.... so from what I am understanding the SP2's are 500W Continuous and my EP2500 puts out 450W @ 8 OHMS. I heard that now my volume is going to go down because my AMP doesn't out rank the speakers. Is this true?? Is this combo gonna be OK??
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    The amp will produce the same wattage. Although the SP's are rated as 1 less db of sensitivity that the 115's. I bet you actually gain volume because the 115's were so deficient in the upper and lower ranges. While you are now under powering your new cabs, you'll be OK as long as you don't drive the amps into clipping, which you won't be cause you set the gains and limiters to prevent that. In the future you can step up to a larger amp or get another EP2500 and bridge each to an SP. You could bridge the EP2500 that you have and put 1200w into each cab (a nice match). You could still run the horns in stereo (assume that you are bi-amping the SP's) and keep some of the stereo effect.

So many options.

DRA
  • Options
    Ok, I want to try running my system in what I believe is called Tri-Amped. That is my Lows, Mids and High all being powered by separate AMPs. My idea is to run EP2500 to Lows[PV118's] Bridged, EP2500 to Mids [SP2's] Bridged and my little QSC850 to Highs [Stereo]. Can I accomplish this setup with the DRPA?? My big concern is with the Bridged Low's and Mids... I know I can run the Bridged Lows with no problem as the DRPA is designed to accomodate that, but what about the Bridged Mids? Will I be forced to run them in Stereo?? If not, how would I do this??
  • Options
    Gadget (It's actually me on my sons account :o ) lists a 2 way setup for the S115 V and Peavey in the FAQ section. The point is to find the best Xover point for the horns. Those Woofers are listed as being able to handle STUPID Power.. like 2400 watts... The lower you run the horn crossover the more likely it will be that premature diaphragm failure will happen. The diaphragm diameter is about 2 \" on those I believe...( Damn support site is DOWN AGAIN!!!)and as such could go as low as 500 hz... I don't think so... Even my $\" diaphragm drivers are recommended higher than 750 hz.... but it will not be good for driver longevity for you to go that low. As I said the site support is down.. The 22XT I set @ 1700-2000hz, and thats a 1.75\" diaphragm...What did you find as a recommended frequency? Any way the procedure I defined there should help once you get the basic crossover point.

I would go 2X5. Remember that to get 2 times as loud you need 10 times the power... It's just a fact folks.

Ya( just read your post) you can as long as you leave the PAN controls centered on the mixer, that give you an effective mono signal at both outputs, there you can take either L/R output and feed the mid amp, select \"parallel bridged on the back of the amp\" That summs the inputs on the amp and allows one input to feed both channels...
    G