Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

RTA Mic calibration

jhaguejhague Posts: 7
Hey all! Just got a DR260 and so far (1 show) I love it!
I thought I remember reading a procedure for calibrating the RTA mic input against an SPL meter (like a hand-held unit) to be sure it was accurate. I bought the DBX RTA mic along with the 260 and would like to do this. Ive searched around here and dont see any mention of it. I also cant find it in the manual although thats where I thought I read it.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    I believe we said there IS no one off sheet with a mic of that calibre...you would need to spend a LOT of money to get a mic that has a pedigree...Be comforted in the fact that with 28 bands of usable RTA that the mic doesn't have to be that critical... The mic is good, but I don't trust the ones less than the TR40 Audix to be accurate for low end measurement...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    I believe we said there IS no one off sheet with a mic of that calibre...you would need to spend a LOT of money to get a mic that has a pedigree...Be comforted in the fact that with 28 bands of usable RTA that the mic doesn't have to be that critical... The mic is good, but I don't trust the ones less than the TR40 Audix to be accurate for low end measurement...
    Gadget

Im not worried about response accuracy - I just want to have some idea how loud the show is - SPL. I am fully aware of the shortcomings of an RTA vs dual FFT measurement with a system like Smaart - regardless of the measurement mic. Thats not what Im trying to measure. If I use the DR260 with the RTA-M, can I assume that if it says its roughly 90 dB at FOH that it really is, or do I need to calibrate it? IOTW, do I need to worry about whether the Sherrifs office' Radio Shack hand-held is more accurate than the 260 (as if it would matter, right...)?
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Good question... If they are using the actual radio shack meter we're all in a lot of trouble... thats a accurate as trying to hit a rolling dough nut with a bow and arrow... :shock: Have you tried tech support... I would think there would be some degree of accuracy...but I don't know...
    Gadget