Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

MRX 515 & 518S

djkattdjkatt Posts: 4
:?: out of my denon mixer to my 260 and then for bass i am using Aphex Bib Bottom. My question is even with the recommended HPF from crown, I am not please with the quality of bass I am getting. I feel the sound should be heavier. Any recommendation?????

Comments

• Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    The boys will need more information please

What are you using the system for ?? Band DJ (I suspect its DJ)
    Specs / link for the Aphex Bib (Aphex Big-Bottomed Excitement)???
    What crown amp are you using (Specs)
    Top boxes amp
    Cross over point you are using etc
    Venue
    etc

Hard to make informed assistance with little info

Mark
  • Options
    What are you using the system for ?? DJ

2 MPRO 415 for top boxes
    2 MRX 518 for bass

Specs / link for the Aphex Bib (Aphex Big-Bottomed Excitement)???

What crown amp are you using (Specs) one amp for my tops and the other for bass.
    http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy/135181.pdf[/url]

http://jblpro.com/products/portablesoun ... rx518.html

Cross over point you are using etc
    2 x 4 setup
    for Top HPF 54 & LPF 19
    for Bass HPF 33 & LPF 100

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanking everyone in advance for their input.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You are over lapping the tops and subs from 54 - 100 hz. That can, in and of itself, cause problems and if you have a time alignment issue it will only get worse. bring the tops HPF up to 100 - 108hz and see if that doesn't work better.
    Are the sub limiters engaging?
    Have you set the gain structure?

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Well.. can't imagine what you need the Aphex big bottom for...I'd get rid of that... just starts cluttering the audio chain with devices that cause sonic chaos by creating impedance problems, inducing phase issues and other things that are counter productive to the purpose of the driverack... besides the driverack HAS a subsonic exciter...you do realize they synthesize those frequencies... they don't exist...and is the single most common cause of premature driver failure....(read that \"let the smoke out\")

The purpose of the gain structure is as much to define the systems limitations as it is to get all the equipment talking the same language... to do so and then add amplifier exhausting synthesized low frequencies is just asking for a failure!

Now, the link you provided for the amps is no good.. we \"suspect\" you are using one amp for the subs, and one for the tops but STILL have no idea what it is...you are overlapping your xover point in the low frequencies which is a HUGE no no. your LPF on the tops is useless since those cabs cannot even get close to those frequencies, it might just as well be set to 'out'. You most likely don't have the 2000 watts per channel of amp power those 4 ohm subs would require to really perform so you are likely exhausting the amps power supply trying to get the bass you want, but again, we have no idea what amps you are using (other than that they are Crown?) Had you provided a model number and a link we could have gotten there one way or another. So to recommend a set of parameters for the system you will
    still need to provide us with the information we requested.

If you haven't read the \"Read me before posting\" section... do so...

Gadget
  • Options
    as requested
    crown xs 900 one for tops and the other for bass
    http://www.realproaudio.com/product_inf ... cts_id/261

Once again thanks for the input.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Recommendations...
    Get rid of the Aphex
    get a bigger amp for the subs

With that setup:

set a HPF of 50hz BW 18 (you don't have enough power to go lower...
    set a LPF 111.4 LR 24

Set a HPF of 118.0 hz LR24 (you don't have enough power to go lower)

Read the \"READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING\" (and do the gain structure and system setup found there) section before asking any further question....

Gadget