Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series Configuration Wizard
Options

dbx 260

djmagickdjmagick Posts: 8
OK...Ive really tried to figure this out by reading here and other places, but I cant get this figured out....any help or direction would be GREATLY appreciated!

here is the equiptment we are running...

2 QSC MX 1500 amps running 4 Renkus-Heinz TRC-121/9 speakers

these are connected to output 1 and 2 on the DBX

we also have a crown xti 4000 running 2 18\" subs

these are connected to outputs 3 and 4 on the DBX

outputs 5 and 6 are not used...nothing plugged into them.

My question.....is there a preset program that is suitable to run this?

if the answer is no, would somebody pleeeeeease come up with a configuration for me or help me to make one on my own.

ALSO what should the crown be set at? Its wired up for stereo output.

should I use a quickstart factory preset?

Like DSP off or subsynth???

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Sounds like you've not read the READ ME FIRST.... section. Tons of good info there, and will answer many of your questions before you ask them. Are you using the Driveware GUI? If not, do. Even if you only use it for learning purposes.

Subs - HPF @ 40hz BW18 LPF @ 100hz LR24 (up to 120hz or so)
    Tops - LPF @ 108hz LR24 (up to 128hz or so) LPF if desired

Post back if you have more specific needs, and welcome.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    With only 350 watts available in stereo at 8 ohms there really isn't much choice but to go Bridged mono and run a pair off one amp, and if you want to go stereo then one amp for left and one amp for right. If you can splay them in the 60 degree horizontal plane (since the horn can be run either direction) to get a 120 deg pattern for the pair. If not flip one speaker on top of the other, rotate the horn to 90 degrees horizontal. This way the horns can couple and you won't have pattern overlap, and end up with cancellations.

I'd also just set up a custom 2X3 in the wizard and then do the procedures in the READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING.
    Gadget
  • Options
    sorry for not doing the basics first...i had been reading user manuals and drawing diagrams at work to go by at home etc...

Im a strip club dj and have always been told...the amps are set dont touch them. that worked for me until a drunk stripper tried to \"fix\" it after she bumped the wheel and the \"display thingy\" started flashing...'

she changed the preset and then loaded it and of course the club went quiet..i was using the facilities...

after she did that it sounded like crap...

i had never taken note of what preset configuration (if any) that we used but I know the one it was loaded on sounded horrible...

ive asked management to get someone out to fix it several times, but i dont see it happening. if they can still hear it, it isnt broken. and they dont need to spend any money. I decided to try to learn enough to get a basic setting worked out...

what I accomplished is using Preset 6 with output 5 and 6 muted.
    It sounds much better than it had...

I have the crown xti 4000 set at Sub Synth preset

The levels on the crown are turned up halfway.

the qsc's are up all the way...
  • Options
    Time consuming, but just go through the presets and try all the ones that look like are \"named\" by a user. Use the list from the manual to compare. If that doesn't work try all of them. Unless she changed a parameter within the program, everything will still be there, even if re-named. when you find one that sounds like you remember, go with it.

DRA
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i like the driveware, even though I dont think the computer I play music on at work would be able to run it, it gives good insight at home. (you guys already know this) :lol:

using the \"wizard\" however I dont see ANY of the components we have in the lists so Im forced to pick custom on every item.

is there an expanded list or a chart anywhere that lists like items that you can generally use a product that IS on the list to subsitute for?
  • Options
    Strip club huh...Geez you poor guy. No wonder you need BIG BOTTOM =)) As for the presets the only other \"preset\" that even makes any sense is 31...It would be pretty easy to see if any of the presets has been modified..and as for myself I usually pick presets that fit 2 criteria.. easy to find and overwriting presets i don't think I'll ever use...(Like any preset with JBL on it :lol: sorry.. I digress...

Once you get the thing set.. and if you intend to EVER relieve yourself again :roll: I'd suggest you read up on the security system...The 260 has multiple levels of security, and it makes a lot of sense to lock out prying strippers :oops: since they usually don't have a LOT of experience with DSP...:-B

The good news is there is no way that she could have modified ANYTHING...without pressing the \"store\" button three times...Even if she was \"bumping and grinding\" with the \"store\" button alone it's also nearly impossible that she modified in any way the program she gave a lap dance to since that would require knowledge of much more than how to \"spin knobs\"...

So I can't imagine the damage is that difficult to fix.

Gadget
  • Options
    Gadget wrote:
    Strip club huh...Geez you poor guy. No wonder you need BIG BOTTOM =)) As for the presets the only other "preset" that even makes any sense is 31...

Gadget

we were posting at the same time :lol:

if im not mistaken arent the 50 presets really 1-25, then they repeat?

i mean isnt preset 31 also preset 6?

:lol: at the big bottom....we had a crown amp that was 1/2 as powerful and when it went out we were given a "loaner" from a sister club (the crown xti 4000) while ours was being "repaired" . since the new crown is 2x as powerful we were told "its only turned 1/2 up so it wont blow the bass cabs" that really means we will never see our old amp again, and our sister club has 1 less amp.
  • Options
    Ya.. geez... USER... AND FACTORY... :lol: I have been doin this too long....

What subs are they... The XTI 4000 is only 650 watts @ 8 ohms, and 1200 watts @ 4 ohms... both in stereo so even in the Bridged mode 4 ohms is 3200 watts.... most quality subs could handle those numbers..

If you were to read the Welcome ... \"read me before posting \" you could make that system hum right along if you simply follow the steps laid out there...

How do you like those R/H speakers? I like their stuff a lot... but it's pricy...

Gadget
  • Options
    :wink: OK Ive been reading the \"READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING\" and
    watching the tutorials...alot to absorb, but with time....

For the short term I have 1 more question though, its an easy one though..

if I do use config 6 (or 31) since nothing is plugged into the 5 or 6 outputs on the DBX I should just mute them correct?
  • Options
    I had thought about addressing that question but thought better of it...In all honesty it makes no difference whatsoever...Turn it off.. leave it on... no difference...It's kinda like when you select a 2 X 6 and only use output #1... makes no difference... just set up what you want in the given output and forget about the rest...

Gadget
  • Options
    I concur, unless you like watching the pretty lights.

DRA
  • Options
    Actually I do like pretty lights....

but in this case they make me nervous because they mostly stay solid orange, and I know I dont want the other ones doing that.

Also the bigger dancers hate lights of any kind.... :lol:
  • Options
    Ah yes... the blue and green light girls... There's no red or yellow EVER!...Ya I've had my share of the tour girls...Hollywood knockouts, Vegas girls...4 times a year...

G
  • Options
    OK I looked on the subs today at work, and they are JBL 4645B

\"
    Like any preset with JBL on it sorry.. I digress... \"

Gadget do you dislike JBL's?

hmmm I see they are rated for 800 watts, and in stereo mode the crown does put out only 650....maybe I will take it (the crown xti 4000) off of \"sub synth\" and turn it up to 3/4
  • Options
    Sorry bud... JBL has gone right to the dogs...Those older cabs might be ok, but the new stuff is crappy...

You can't hurt those with too much power... but too little.. oh ya...
    Gadget...

JBL is second to Bose and Bose SUX!