Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

Help with my setup

CollinnathanielCollinnathaniel Posts: 8
edited April 2008 in PA General Discussion
Good day,

My name is Chris. I am from the Philippines
pines.

I have a band who plays classic lite jazz, rnb and dance music in an outdoor park with an area of 120sqm.

Please help me setup my drpa with the right configurations and crossover settings to maximize what i got.

I have:

Soundcraft Mixer EFX12/2

1 pair Beta 3 U15A(Active) as my \"High\"
Transducers    (Woofer)15LB075-U×1
    (Treb)ED4401+H4403
  Frequency -3dB / -10dB   40Hz-18KHz, 35Hz-20KHz
  Rated Power RMS   (Treb)100W, (Woofer)300W
  Dispersion (HxV)   50-100°Ã—55°(Rotatable)
  Maximum SPL (dB/M)   120dB(Free Field)
  Frequencyadjust   100Hz :±12dB / 10KHz :±12dB
  Input impedance   Balance 20K Unbalance 10K
  Connector type   mic\\line: XLR J3P / XLR K3P
  Protect Circuit   Limit Protect overheat protect,Short Circuit protect,HF Protect

1 Beta 3 U15A as my \"Monitor\".

1 Inter M Power amp CM15.5

Power output is

Stereo Rl = 8ohms 510w+510w, Rl = 4ohms 800w+800w
Frequency response rl=8ohms,P=1w 10hz~35khz(+-.5db)
Input impedance = >= 20kohms
Power consumption is 950 watts

1 pair Biema Subwoofer(passive) FD181bII

FRequency responce is 30hz-350hz
Impedance = 8ohms
Power(RMS) is 400w
Peak = 800w/5min
sensitivity = 100db(1w/m)
max. spl = 129db

Last week I tried using the preset program number 13. When I turned up the system at high volume, after the gig, I noticed I fried one of the B3 speaker's horns(Treble).

What is the ideal crossover setting for this particular rig so that I can maximize my speakers even at high volume?

How can I make the kick drum sound with more oomph or low end?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Sorry... not much you can do with a crossover to protect the horns in an active speaker like that...you just pushed it too hard...then the compressor internally caused the power amps to become exhausted and that is most likely what happened. BTW I saw 50 watts on the horn, not 100... and a max SPL of 120db...

Gadget
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    This won't help with output, but you could crank the cabs until they start to limit then add the limiter in the DRPA until they stop. You'll loose max output, but should save the diaphrams. To achieve more output, buy more cabs.

DRA
  • Options
    thankse

How can I determine the clipping point of my active speakers(B3)?

I must first determine it's cliping point to set the limiter right?
  • Options
    There is so little info on those things...They are manufactured in China so who knows what quality control is like...do you see a \"limiter\" LED on the speakers?
    Gadget
  • Options
    yes it has a tiny led that says clip
  • Options
    So are you running the subs amp bridged mono, and the speakers in parallel? If not you should be...Kick drum can be accentuated with a scoop out of the mid frequencies (primary freq) and accentuation of the 80 hz 1st harmonic, and 1-2k beater attack...assuming no outboard GEQ inserted in the channel strip is available...set the sweepable mid band to about the 2-300hz (or lower depending on taste) area, and fully cut it with the gain control. This provides a nice pocket for the bass and other instruments to nestle...If you have a compressor that can also help with attack...

As for the speakers I assume that these being of Chinese MFG that the limiter is of marginal use and you cannot turn it off...Your best bet here is to do a system gain structure and attempt to determine where the amp goes into clipping on the speakers, or monitor the led and when it starts to light back off a bit and NEVER exceed that level...As DRA suggested find the speakers clip point and set the limiter on the DRPA to start limiting 6-10 db below that, the overshoot might be caught by the speakers limiter then... but know this, high compression and limiting can exhaust the amps reserve power and cause the voice coils to heat up from too much average power use...

If you haven't already read the \"Read before posting\" section, I recommend you do that..there is a lot of good information there...

Gadget