Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

DriveRack PA vs. 160a

DanjoDanjo Posts: 6
Hello all! I am new here and looking for a little help. Hopefully I am not asking a question that has been answered before. I could not find anything in the \"search\" feature.

I need a limiter for my mains. I am looking for the best possible sounding compression for under $1000. I don't necessarily need a lot of bells and whistles, but the DRPA looks very desirable. The 160a compressor is $400 and it is only one channel of compression. The DRPA is $500 and has many more options. This leads me to believe that the compression will be of less quality on the DRPA.

Do any of you know if the compression is the same quality in the 2 units? Or is the 160a by far superior to the DRPA for limiting?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    $500 is way too much for a DRPA. Of coarse, compression and limiting are two similar but diferent things and you only want limiting. For a tad under $700, the DR 260 has a brickwall limiter, that will not let anything past the set points like the limiter in the DRPA. Plus all the other features that the 260 offers. To me, it is a no brainer. Independent limiting on EVERY output (up to 6). Why limit the mids/highs when only the subs limit? or visa versa?

Hope this helps,
    DRA
  • Options
    So the compression on these units is as good as the 160a?

I would be interested in getting the DR 260 - but I can't find it anywhere for the price you mentioned. Everything I see is $999 for that unit. Can you tell me where you can get them for that price? If it is an issue with the moderators you can send me a PM.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You keep saying compression, but I'll let that go.
    Do a search for DBX260. You want to call to get the best price. Many manufacturers will not allow sellers to advertise lower than the MAP, but let them sell for less. I got mine from Full Compass, even though their website says the higher prices, you have to call. There are others. Just check around.
    Before you buy the 260, download the Driveware GUI and play with it and see if it is what you want.

DRA
  • Options
    Thanks. I appreciate your help.