Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

How would you EQ this speaker set ?

KatieKatie Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in PA General Discussion
Hello again.

stageset1.jpg

The drawing (please excuse the crudeness) illustrates much of the information. The speakers are Yamaha BR15s and Yamaha 18\" subs. They will be run in a 2X4 configuration. One amp running the BRs (2 BRs per channel) and one amp running the subs (one sub per channel)

I am limited as to where the speakers are placed (very). So, changing the placement is out of the question - it is what it is. They are not moving- other factors are involved that I won't go into here. :x

I'm not going to drag these things around so where would I place the DBX mic to best EQ these speakers?

1) I know I need to get them into the pressure fields of the speakers, but where would you place the mic and how far from the set?

2) Since these speakers sets (left and right) are , from a practical standpoint, identical, would you SMEs* EQ just one set (either L or R) and use the EQ or would you try to EQ both sets at once? (I am leaning to EQ just one set).

Based on reading, I'm thinking about just AEQ'in one set (let's say the right side) with the mic place about 6-8 feet (nearfield) in front of the speakers and centered in the triangle formed by all the cones. Then transfer the GEQ to The PEQ - repeat, rinse, repeat, rinse. :) That is just a guess, but I am a new DRPA user - and why I ask the question.

HOWEVER... The another option I thought about is just AEQ one BR using the indoor method - transferring that to PEQ and ear tune the sub with the crossover numbers/slopes from DriveWare (x-over 91hz, nice program BTW) - but I might experiment with a 120-150hz x-over for kicks. Ah.....options are abundant. :lol:

Thank you,
Katie

*SME = Subject Matter Expert

Comments

• Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    You're not asking for much, but this is what I would do. I would invert the top speaker, even though you are fanning them some. Disconnect one stack completely and only use one for the AEQ. Put the RTA mic on a step about 1/2 way up(direct line of sound) facing the speakers. (If the kick (tread) plate of the steps are hard (wood, metal, etc) you might try pointing the mic at it about 1/4\" away.)
    Engage the AEQ (Med precision) and bring up to performance level.
    If pointing at the speakers, return all frequencies below 200hz to -0- and all frequencies above 700hz to -0-. These will be tuned by ear. The frequencies from 200hz to 630hz can be left alone.
    If pointing at the tread plate, you may be able to trust the results, as is. (Gadget?)

You may want to note the results and do several placement points (higher, lower, left, right) and average the results for the room.

Note: make sure that the EQ is Stereo linked is set-up.

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    WARNING WARNING :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DROP those subs to the ground! you are facing a 3db loss of the 80 hz fundamental frequency for the kick drum! read this:

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes ... lation.cfm

I'll have to look at the rest later...were buried under 2 feet of wet snow...

G