Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

specific crossover settings

dewdew Posts: 14
edited April 2008 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hello, im wondering what setting my crossover to, specifically the slopes, I dont know which db of slope to use, also linkwitz-riley or bw.

Heres my setup:

2-way

Lows:

(2) Carvin DCM2000 - 2000W @ 4 ohms bridged

(2) Carvin Dual 18\" subs
http://www.carvinworld.com/manuals/SW1802_DATASHEET.pdf

Highs:

(1) Peavey PV 2600 - 900W channel

1 pair of Peavey TLS4-X (215 cabs w/ horn) - 800W program
http://peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/list/tls4x_specs.cfm

+

(1) Crown CE 1000 - 450W channel

1 pair of Peavey TLS4 (215 cabs w/ horn) - I do not know the rated power of these 2 cabs, but THEY ARE DIFFERENT from the other cabs mentioned, and i believe that they dont need as much power as the other cabs. (This set of cabs and amplifier were recommended as a match when we bought them at the music store). Most Crowns are made to have some built in headroom right? But thats irrelevant, that is what I have.

The Carvin DCM2000's are bridged powering a dual sub each.

Highs are sent out of the drpa to the Peavey 2600 and then onto the Crown CE1000. Cabs are on their own channel on a power amp.

After setting the limiters, i left the crossover at 100hz and surprisingly found that the sound is well balanced having all the power amps' attenuators at their maximum setting for the limiters to be effective. (When i Auto EQ, the equalizer is basically minutely boosting and cutting alternating frequencies.) I believe that I just left the slope on what it was set; BW 6 for lows and LR 12 for highs.

I switched to Response A, and i'm very happy with the sound. But it could probably sound better and Ill never know unless I get it set more precise.

I believe I'll leave the crossover point at 100hz. But I'm open for suggestions. I'M MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SLOPE . THAT IS WHAT I'D LIKE A RECOMMENDATION FOR.

Also settings for the Alignment Delay, if thats relevant to my system. I place the 2 left cabs on top of the left subwoofer, same on right side.

My last question is about the PEQ. What would this be used for, and what does the BELL, L SHELF, H SHELF etc. mean?

Thanks,
Dew

Comments

• Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    Hi dew

Have a read of this whist waiting for the boys to reply.

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/06_x-over.html
    Linkwitz-Riley. Professional electronic crossovers, referred to as Linkwitz-Riley, have fixed slopes, fourth order, 24dB/octave (Q 0.5) and -6dB at crossover point (Bessel). The crossover points can be changed. This has been adopted as the standard for professional systems. The steep 24dB/octave slopes give maximum protection, control and power capability for the drivers. This Linkwitz-Riley bench mark is a mathematical calibration, that is dependant on the listener being unable to make changes, once the system is calibrated.
    Very helpfull

Mark
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    My last question is about the PEQ. What would this be used for, and what does the BELL, L SHELF, H SHELF etc. mean?
    Pretty sure that is in the manual, but it describe the type of curves(s) used. READ ME FIRST section (and other PEQ\"posts have a lot of info about this. Search them out.

X-over point between tops and subs should be LR-24.
    Hi pass (low cut) for subs should be BW-18 (40-50hz, whichever sounds best).

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Again, limited power.. The DCM 2000's (I had a pair and I found them lacking...) so at LEAST 45 hz , and with limited tops power... 100h and up..

G
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info!

I know the really low frequencies rob power, but a low B on a bass is about 31 hz, an E is about 41 hz, so I suppose ill be cutting that, but ill play around with it and expirement.

Thanks again

Dew
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    edited April 2008
    Do you mic you bass? With a 57? If so, it ain't gonna pick it up anyway. So unless you are using a large format mic ($$) that can't reproduce those frequencies, don't worry about it.

DRA
  • Options
    We mic the guitar amps, but we we dont mic the bass, we just run a line level direct from the bass amp to the board.

Also, I basically dont know anything about drums, so I'm wondering; what range of hz does a kick drum run?
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
    I can't remember the exact freq's

Can you \"google it\" and get back to us.
    Love to here your answer.

If possible can you get other drum freq's and the cymbles :D:D

Thanks for your help
    Mark
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    epending on the tuning and size.. the primary freq is around 300 hz...THAT is not the target though. That would be the first harmonic of the kick @ about 80 hz...If you Don't have an eq to scoop out the mids, and you have a sweepable mid on the console try setting the frequency control @ about 150-200 hz and full cut... then sweep up a bit if necessary.. the attack of the beater head is around 2 K...
    G