Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

peq settings

dewdew Posts: 14
edited April 2008 in PA General Discussion
What is the Q setting on the PEQ, it's the bandwidth I'm assuming, but what is the range of frequencies for that specific number (on the Q setting)?

Dew

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes it's the bandwidth, and no I don't have a Q to octave conversion, The 260 GUI may be of help though, download it and see. Tomorrow I'll email Mike and see if he can shed some light on the subject....
    gadget
  • Options
    Fanman20Fanman20 Posts: 223
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Ok, so then as a discussion starter I present this information:

This is an example using “whole note� examples in hz of octaves for the purpose of discussing PEQ Q factor to octave comparison…Note: There are 10 octaves, but only 8 in the “fundamental� frequencies.
    6400 The end of the \"primary\"frequencies (C8 ) 4186.0096hz
    12,800 Anything above about 8500 hz is not a fundamental frequency.

Below is the actual “musical note� equivalent of the above chart..

Octave starts with @ f in hz ends just before notes
    0 CO 16.3516Hz C1 only organ-keyboard
    1 C1 32.7032Hz C2
    2 C2 65.4064Hz C3 C2 is low C
    3 C3 130.8128Hz C4
    4 C4 261.6256Hz C5 C4 is middle C
    5 C5 523.2512Hz C6
    6 C6 1,046.5024Hz C6 C6 is high C
    7 C7 2,093.0048Hz C7
    8 C8 4,186.0096Hz C8 C8 = last note on a
    piano or a piccolo
    9 C9 8,372.0192Hz C9 Anything higher than
    C8 is NOT considered a fundamental frequency
    10 C10 16,744.0384HZ

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm
    figure into the equation....

E1= 4 string bass low \"E\" standard tuning = 41.20 hz, E2 then is the 6 string guitar being 1 octave higher and therefore 82.41 hz standard tuning low \"E\"
    Gadget
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think I'm on a different train of thought re dew's question.
    but what is the range of frequencies for that specific number (on the Q setting)?

When I open DR260 PEQ band 2 “Q� is set at 0.939.

If I move the “Q� to 4.31 then it is equivalent to a “fader� on my 1/3 octave graphic
    a filter centered at 1 kHz that is 1/3-octave wide has -3 dB frequencies located at 891 Hz and 1123 Hz respectively, yielding a bandwidth of 232 Hz (1123-891). The quality factor, Q, is therefore 1 kHz divided by 232 Hz, or 4.31.

What \"range of frequencies\" on that fader??? Depends on which fader you are using!

So the question was:-
    but what is the range of frequencies for that specific number (on the Q setting)?

Depends where the �Q� filter sits in relation to what \"Fo:\" (frequency) that is selected.

There is no direct comparison between \"the number of Frequencies\" and a \"Q\" filter in this type of filter

The lower in the frequency band the \"Q\" sits, the less number of frequencies that are being affected. (same as my 1/3 octave graphic)

If you use a narrow “Q� the number rises and the filter narrows.
    If I go to “Q� of 14.5 that = 1/10 octave. Narrower filter. Less frequencies are affected, and again depends where the �Q� filter sits in relation to what \"Fo:\" (frequency) that is selected.

In the DRPA the feedback “Q� filters are below
    The options will be Speech, Music
    Low, Music Medium and Music High. These types pertain to the Q, sensitivity, and algorithm
    type. Values are; Speech (Bandwidth = 1/5 octave and Q=7.25) Music Low (Bandwidth = 1/10
    octave and Q=14.5) Music Medium (Bandwidth = 1/20 octave and Q=29) Music High
    (Bandwidth = 1/80 octave and Q=116). Note: To guarantee that feedback is suppressed at lower
    frequencies, the AFS may place wider notch filters at these lower frequencies (below 700 Hz).

The chart at http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm
    Gives the comparison between Bandwidth per octave and “Q� filter.

Bandwith per octave 3/4 = 1.9 \"Q\" filter
    Bandwith per octave 1/3 = 4.3 \"Q\" filter
    Bandwith per octave 1/10 = 14.4 \"Q\" filter
    Bandwith per octave 1/80 = 115.4 \"Q\" filter

Hope I have explained it right and it all this makes sense.
    Mark

There is no direct comparison between \"the number of Frequencies\" and a \"Q\" filter with Driverack's \"Q\" filters

Another bit of info
    There are two types of filters: constant-Q and constant bandwidth. Constant-Q filters do not change their Q as the frequency of the filter is changed. This means that they are good for applications where the filter is used to produce a sense of pitch from an unpitched source like noise. Since the Q is constant, the bandwidth varies with the filter frequency and so sounds 'musical'. Constant-bandwidth filters have the same bandwidth regardless of the filter frequency. This means that a relatively narrow bandwidth of 100 Hz for a filter frequency of 4 kHz, is very wide for a 400-Hz frequency: the Q of a constant-bandwidth frequency. Most analogue synthesizer filters are constant-Q
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Does this analogy work?
    If the keys on a piano were proportional in size to the \"Q\" then ....

If they were proportional to the frequency wave length in size then .....

If proportional to % of octive then ....

White keys only... there are 7 steps or intervals to the next octive (8 makes an octive). Each octive has this same required pattern.

% / octive - Each key is 12.5% of an octive and therefore each key is of equal size.
    FWL(~) - Keys are larger on the low frequency end and decrease to very small on the higher end.
    Q - A given \"Q\" will encompass a set number of keys. 1, 2, 6, whatever. So, if the \"Q\" locks on to 3 keys in an octive two below middle C, then that same \"Q\" will lock on to 3 keys an octive above middle C, or 4 above, or 20 above, or 7 below, etc, etc, etc.

Q = %/octive, therefore, any \"Q\" is nothing more than a fixed portion (%) of the entire sound spectrum?
    Hi-Q (larger #) = lo %
    Lo-Q (smaller #) = hi % (With a \"Q\" of 0 being unachievable.)

Does that make sense to anyone? Have I danced around the question and not even answered it?

DRA
  • Options
    FWL(~) - Keys are larger on the low frequency end and decrease to very small on the higher end.

What if you have fat fingers???
    Can you only play the larger \"Q\" notes??
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    No, just get Freddy Krueger gloves.