Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

How long does RTA mode normally last?

aardvark5aardvark5 Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in PA General Discussion
Just had the PA and linked it to Mackie SWA1501 subs and Mackie SRM450 tops.
I gigged at a pub on friday, setup the pink noise and after 1 minute the landlord told me to STFU.
How long does it normally go on for?

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Posts: 5
    When you first select the AutoEq function and press the RTA button next to the mic input, you can change the resolution. It's on the same screen with the selected 'target' eq curve. The default is 'Med', just change this to 'low' anytime that you need quicker setup; like when the landlord is hovering over your shoulder, lol.

I'm sure someone here can give a better answer about how long it should take. I do know that it varies from one site to another. I have changed mine to 'low' when the process had timed out on 'med'. This is probably not the best solution to the problem, as I think that time-ing out must indicate an acoustical problem in the room such as a 'mode' or some problem frequency. However on the occassion that I have done this I did not notice any problem with the sound after completion of RTA process.
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    DraDra Posts: 3,777
    Richard is correct that LOW is generally fine. I'll take another step back. Have you \"flattened\" your system outdoors (open area) and stored the transferred data from the Auto-Eq to the PEQ's and saved the set-up? If not do. Then, when you set-up in a room, just play some familiar music and tweek the GEQ by ear. (Since the auto-eq is only usefull for a very small band of sound, approximately 160-700hz, it doesn't do a lot of good anyway, since below 160 and above 700 has to be ignored and flattened, then tuned by ear.)

DRA
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    And to answer your question more or less directly from 30 seconds to 2 or more minutes...the more difficult the room the longer it will take. The more maxed frequency bands the longer it will take... AND if theres more than 4 it will eventually (after what seems like an eternity...) it will say NOT DONE....To prepare for all the possibilities the READ ME FIRST section is full of tips, as are the others here.

My position .. is that a properly tuned system in a room is far better than an uneducated person trying to use the Auto EQ to try and EQ the system with respect to the room...and a whole lot LESS painful...

Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks lads.
    Will try ASAP.